Triad Chips Basics

Hey Stuart,

Yep, you’re right. Playing them in this staccato style is for certain environments. Wont work everywhere, and triads are used more often in other ways, other than this muted style. You can play these triads as ringing ‘chords’ , single note melodies etc in literally thousands of songs.
Jack n Dianne is always a cool one to start with, composed pretty much entirely of A D and E triads, and pretty fun to play.

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes

Hi Stuart, for applying those accentuated or staccato chords, I took some Rock n’Roll pieces, it’s very obvious there, works e.g. on Johnny B Goode and Rock around the Clock. Simple A-D-E progressions. You can use a YT video, a BT or the App. Like Toby says, play on 2 and 4. Those tunes are pretty fast first, would be helpful to slow them down to start. Very soon, you get the feeling and the groove!

1 Like

Agreed, which is why I’m confused by Justin saying play simple songs when it just wouldn’t work with simple songs as the feel is more reggae. I’m guessing that Three Little Birds and The Tide Is High should work for this. May be Justin just needs to add some additional text to his lesson about this.

You can but that’s not the point of the lesson as far as I can see which is to use the staccato/muted chords.

Thanks. Never heard or heard of it but will see what I can find.

Challenge accepted.

The idea is to enhance, to supplement, to complement the existing instruments. If you simply replace them all and try to play a single guitar rendition then it will sound a little peculiar. Triad chips are not really designed for a lone guitar player and no other instruments. They are a technique and style that much better suits music with layers of instruments. Or for a short burst in a small section of a song as contrast, not to carry an entire song.

5 Likes

Agreed. Triads have many uses. This specific lesson is chips.

2 Likes

Wasn’t really a challenge just an observation on my part. I listened to your version but to be honest couldn’t work out the chips from the backing track. Wasn’t sure what I was listening to!

That would explain why I’m not getting it.

1 Like

I have remixed - is this clearer?

You need to play along with songs, backing tracks, the App. Do not try this with no other music adding context.

A lot clearer thanks.

1 Like

This probably wants adding in big letters to the text of the lesson!

1 Like

Having just checked your tab I noticed that you have some chips using the triad root shape, which is not part of this lesson but I am familiar with having read your Vintage Club #6 and #12 notes.

1 Like

Yes. I took that liberty. And I’m glad the Vintage Club lesson helped.

In the lesson Justin speaks about chips being a 2nd guitar part more than once.
In the lesson he writes:

I did pick that up and that’s where I have the problem. As I do all my practice using headphones I can’t listen to something on my pc and also my guitar as they use different headphones. That’s why I don’t use backing tracks as have no capability to hear both at the same time.

1 Like

Although I am still trying to get my amp via aux in to my pc.

1 Like

Stuart - in my view you are missing out on the biggest possible boost to your learning that you can have / need.

Playing along with other music is essential.
I would honestly halt in your JG course progression for now and make sure you remedy this situation asap. You do not need to spend a lot of money. Just buy a cheap practice amp with Guitar and Aux inputs.

Or if playing the backing tracks on a PC, just a simple audio interface or mixer, so you can hear both PC and Gtr/Amp.

1 Like

@Stuartw This lesson might give you some more context on when and how chips can be used, and I deliberately missed the “triad” part:

Just watch this video and try to listen to the various techniques demonstrated by Justin and hear how they differ from chips. Just as letting each chord ring out can become monotonous, chips are also a technique that is only one piece in the great scheme of things.

Some examples of chips in practice, often used along with other techniques:

James Brown - Get on the Good Foot
Miles Davis - On the Corner
Herbie Hancock - Steppin’ in It
Jimi Hendrix - Long Hot Summer Night (without lead guitar part)
Curtis Mayfield - Little Child Runnin’ Wild
The Police - Roxanne

1 Like

Why? I’m happy with things as they are. I never intend playing with or for anyone else and happy to noodle away for me! Selfish may be but this is my time where I can forget the ‘world’ for a bit.

Well this got me thinking. In fact to the point where I thought what is the point of carrying on! But then I thought sod that for a game of soldiers I’ve spent 4 years on this journey so not giving up now. Although I have taken note of your comment I’m not stopping grade 3. I have set myself a goal for grade 3 which I intend to complete.

Well I had a second hand amp that I buggered up by connecting to the pc. The amp may have had a faulty aux in, I don’t know. Anyway it doesn’t work anymore. But thanks to the generosity of a senior member of these forums I have a new amp so going to give it another go.

1 Like

If you’re happy and having fun then that is great - that is what it is all about.
But, honestly, you have posted many times about your frustrations and dissatisfaction which suggests you could be happier in your guitar progress and with your musicianship.
Playing along with songs and backing tracks will bring enhanced progress and even more fun, I guarantee it. Not because it is rehearsal for playing with others or in a band but because it is immersing you in playing music in context and with the feel of being a part of a wider sound beyond what you yourself are making.

My apologies that my words came to you as discouragement whereas my intent and wish was to encourage you to practice, learn and play in a different way that I am convinced will make you a better player and musician.

Which is fantastic and bravo to the person who made the gift to you. Please do play along with songs. So many benefits are there. Here are two major positives it brings. You will be improving your rhythm skills, being able to play in a groove that matches the feel of a song. If you hear scales played over chords adds life to them and is the only way they begin to make musical sense beyond being finger exercises.

2 Likes

Stuart @Stuartw, I definitely encourage you to try to get your new system working with auxiliary input so you can play along with backing tracks. It really will open up your understanding, awareness, and feel for the music in a way that playing in isolation just can’t. I wouldn’t necessarily say you should stop everything else, but I’d definitely set aside a little bit of time to try to get that working soon.

Like you, I have no plans to play with other people, ever. I’m just interested in learning as much as I can and becoming a better player, and I absolutely think that this is an essential piece of doing that.

1 Like