tRONd’s learning log

Hey Trond, good to see you about. Progress through Grade 3 may feel painfully slow but it’s still progress mate. Just enjoy the opportunities you get with your guitar during this busy time.

1 Like

Good to hear from you Trond, life does indeed have the ability to eat into guitar time unfortunately but the key sentence was that you’re enjoying every second with the guitar in your hands still! I’ve had less forum time too over the last few weeks but it’s just the ups and downs we all go through I guess.
Will absolutely catch you on the next OM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well.
I finally had some spare time on my hands last weeks. So its been a lot of guitar related things going on. And that is awsome :grin: had some time to really catch up on the forum and finally see a lot of AVOYPs from other members, missed out a lot the last months :pensive: There is a lot of them. Amazed over how skilled all you guys are… it is so cool to watch the huge progress everyone has achieved since i first watch the first avoyp or open mic 1,5 year ago. Also supercool to see the pure joy everyone has when they play. It easy to see that all of you love playing guitar.

Been looking through my goals i have put down for myself. And well… most things i had set up for practise has not happened. Sometimes life happened, but most of the time i have done other things on the guitar.
So i am currently not done with Justins grade 3 yet as i promised myself.
On the other side of it. I play everyday. I do learn new songs, and i can throw in a hammer on/pull off here and there. Can do a few easy licks.
Considering i could not play one single chord in jan 2021 i can probably say that i had some progress since then.
I am extremly happy that i stumbled upon Justinguitar, and especially this forum. Without it i dont know were inwould be on the guitar. Not were i am now, for sure…

So why do i write this? Well… this is most likely the last thing i post in my learning log. It has been down for a long time anyway…

It just gives me bad concious, and its all more or less a lie to myself to try to keep myself accountable. So.
I will keep on playing. I will try to get through all the grades at some point. And i will finish up the strumming course that i currently are working on. But i cannot promise myself anything practise wise, and that i will play this and that song down the line. Some part of this log was probably to get me going and not quit. I have realized i will never quit playing now. I will continue doing this until im not able to hold a guitar anymore.

So thats that with my learning log, feels pretty good to be honest to myself again :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Love love love ‘the regulator’ :+1: seen clutch live a couple of times as my best friend is a massive fan, always fantastic live :v: will read on hoping you’re still trying :crossed_fingers:

Edit- I see you’re ending the learning log, I look forward to seeing more vids of you playing on the AVOYP thread :+1: and maybe one day we’ll get to hear you belt out ‘the regulator’ :v:

Hahahaha… how cool! Im a bit jalous!

I try to go to as many concerts i possibly can. But never seen them live. I love them! And regulator the bluesy acoustic version :fire::heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: oh man!!
I have tried to play around with it though. Im afraid this is one of those i just cannot do voicewise.

If i ever feel i can get close to the level needed this will be on top of my list. Never know. Maybe one day :grin:

1 Like

My friend, don’t be so hasty… :wink:
‘Learning log’ is a misnomer.
In our old home, this used to be called a Road Case (which I preferred). It was the thread where folk told the story of where they came from what they have done and where they were planning on going to…
Part of this is now incorporated in the Introduce yourself section but nobody updates that.
I see the LL not as a “what is my schedule?” but more of “What am I currently thinking?” :thinking:
I have never had precise goals and definitely never adhered to any schedules. Here’s the last meaningful entry to my LL just as an example.
As long as you remain engaged with the Community, it’s handy to have a thread where you can share where you’re coming from :smiley:
Your LL will still be here when you have something besides a song that you want to share with your friends :wink:

2 Likes

Yes! This! I share that with you… And I’m sure most others here do too :smiley: :+1: It is an odd realisation to come to but quite comforting in a way.
I hope we do hear more from you here as I always love reading people’s thoughts on what they’re doing now and where they might go next, but totally understand your rationale for not feeling the need for it either. All the best! :sunglasses:

Dear Scandinavian Troubadour,
Imposing things on yourself … making promises … is an angry mistress … so don’t do that (rogier :roll_eyes:).
I now have a good resolution that I will keep for a long time…at least 1 thing a day I will not do what I have planned for the month/week or day for those days that will all come in the coming years…success guaranteed

Yesterday I recorded something solo for 4 minutes with my first you-tube backing track instead of my trio+…a good half a much lesser half where I get distracted, I cut it in the middle…I delete the good half :confounded: :confounded: :confounded:… tomorrow I promise another try and I learn the editing of simple video cutting…I think :smile:

In fact, you just use your LL as a… My Dear Diary :laughing:

Greetings…

Yeah, I agree with this. Listing out what you’re working on is a bit dull. What you’re thinking is way more interesting. Kind of like your post actually was Trond…

Setting time based goals can be too stressful, and take the joy out of playing. For me, at least. But just playing, and enjoying, and learning new songs when you feel like it, so much more fun.

Im glad to see you back and frequently around. You disappeared for a while and I wondered if you were gone for good.

Eh… i think i «jumped the gun» there a bit quick @brianlarsen and @roger_holland :see_no_evil:

You guys are absolutly right.
I can use it as some sort of «diary» did not think in those terms at all.
A manifest for all my lies :rofl:
I was almost about to delete the whole thing. But i leave it as is, so i can go back down the road and laugh at myself…

«I delete the good half»
Hahaha… what an absolute blast to read about Rogier. Made me smile and almost spilling my coffee :rofl:

@jkahn yep. You are right, i leave at a «personal» thread.
I have a job that goes up and down, some periods are very calm, other is really intense. So it will be like that for me. Periods that im not that active. I still read posts and try to keep up. But im not to active. I find it a bit difficult to engage in a lot of things in the forum if in very busy. Dont get the whole picture of things if that make sense? But im very much around. Just very quiet :rofl:
Have too say though JK… youre progress and things you have done the last 8-10 months blow me away. I get inspired when i see how much tecnique that can be learned in such a short time… keep it up. Youre progress in singing is also a huge step… keep it up!!

For the record… i do not want to be accountable for all the lies i have written about practise, and long term goals etc… its all just a big fat lie to my self :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Edit: There is one thing that i plan to do,and want to be held accountable for :grin: that is to do an avoyp with my youngest daughter. Want her to experience the «warm» enviroment there is in this forum, and maybe she gets even more «hooked» on the guitar. and a little bit more confident to play in front of others. So at the moment she is pluckin away on an intro and a solo that we hopefully can get done in a not to distance future :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hello Trond

Learning Logs tend to be about goals and lessons in the early stages, going through Grades 1&2, then they start to develop into being more about the journey, the adventure and our aspirations - what we do with our learning.
The logs are great, we all tell a different story, and so do you!

Keep telling your story. :books:

1 Like

Well I’m glad you were easily convinced to keep the LL then :smiley:. And it’s also super good to hear that guitar is a lifelong endeavour now. That’s obviously the more important part that community time! I always wonder if when people drop off the community they stop playing guitar too… I’d think a lot do. Given how many people start to play and then stop in general.

Thanks Trond, makes me blush - it is just because I play so much, I should probably be doing more productive stuff with spare time but I’d just prefer to play the guitar most of the time!

:rofl:
lol

Although playing with your daughter would be awesome. Can’t wait to see that.

I am in that boat aswell JK. Tons of more productive things i could do… but i too only wants to play. That said. I really feel that i benefit from it mentally… if that makes any sense…

2 Likes

Hi Trond, I can really understand your intention and reasons to close your log. Since the beginning, I have an internal fight with myself, if I should start one or not. I always asked myself, if it would be of any interest for someone else, if I could do 45 or 55 chord changes, or if I set myself under pressure to reach goals I’ve written down. I also won’t be a slave to a certain schedule, not in this part of my life. But otherwise, sometimes it would be helpful to write things down (the bigger picture) not to get lost in this overwhelming world of (unmastered) opportunities. When I have a look at others’ LL, I also find it quite interesting to read about others’ thoughts and adventures during their journey and I’m really enjoying to read some personnel stuff apart from someones efforts to strictly following the course. Maybe, as others said, those logs should be seen as a sort of diary or roadcase, an enjoyable way to share thoughts about the journey.
I really would appreciate to stay connected with your thoughts about playing, your plans to play with your daughter, etc. But do, whatever is best for you!

2 Likes

Hi Andrea,
It now feels like I’m chasing you :laughing:

bad Helen :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It is indeed a combination (or not) of a diary , learning path and hopefully also a place where you share your photos of your beautiful living environment that several people will absolutly enjoy if you share them there, I am now going to “abuse” the situation to say hello to someone I miss so much on the forum and I only say hello nothing more and less :blush:, the personal things that (for example our dearly beloved) Maggie @batwoman shares in her LL I wouldn’t have missed…Hi Maggie :wave:

Well Andrea, you’re hesitating and I hope I’ve given you a push in the direction I want to see :rofl:

No pressurrrrre :blush:

2 Likes

Race between the turtle and the hare :joy:

Maybe a push is not enough and I need a kick in the a…, I stop here, don’t want to crash tRONDs LL.
One last sentence, @batwoman we miss you!

2 Likes

Hey mate,

Good to see you’re keepin’ the log.
At a minimum, its a record of your journey. But its also a diary, with aspirations, fears, failures, and triumphs etc.
I’ve occasionally glimpsed at some of my earlier entries, with a cringe here, and a smile there :crazy_face:.
And I think the purpose is not in achieving all your goals and aspirations, but simply having them that makes it all worthwhile, whether that be guitar or anything else.
I for one am glad you’re around, however often that may be. You’ve progressed considerably since you got here, like many of us.
Enjoy the journey mate, and don’t mind the destination. After all, none of us are getting out of here alive anyway :rofl:.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Trash?? Use this as much as possibly want Helen :grin:

1 Like

Well spoken Shane!!!
And thanks for your kind words, really appreciate it :grin:

Trond as long as you are learning and playing almost every day you are excused for any absence and lack of activity and always welcomed back whenever you have time to join us :grinning: