Twistor59 - July 2022 - Pink Floyd - Time

Wow! One of my all time favourites. I can only hope to dream about being able to play this after three years (just 3 weeks in myself!). How many hours of practice did this take you to master I wonder??? You are living proof that you are never too young to learn. I’m mid 50’s so your video is a huge inspiration. THANK YOU so much for posting it. What’s next???

Welcome Phil, great song and great attempt at replicating. Can’t believe you are only 3 1/2 years in. Personally I could never figure out how to play and press pedals at the right time, a looper is hard enough for me. Bravo

What an entrance Phil.

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day … "

Well you must have spent those moments with guitar in hand I reckon.

“Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way …”

No sir, not you. You’ve been doing the opposite and making good use of your days. That is plain.

:clap: :clap:

1 Like

Enjoyed while sipping my morning coffee

1 Like

That’s one of my favourite Pink Floyd songs and you played it so well. The tones you dialed in were really good. I loved it, well done.

1 Like

Haha, some of us ‘missed the starting gun:rofl:

1 Like

Thank you! I started in the Summer of 2019, was 60 at the time, so a bit later than usual. I remember my fingertips were shredded when I learned the solo. Next is trying to get a bit better at improvisation - I’m not a natural musician, so I try to compensate by learning other peoples licks and trying to slot them in appropriately.

I know - no one told me when to run, unfortunately!

Wow Phil that was very very impressive playing. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Finally got to give this a look and listen. Absolutely fabulous, top drawer, Phil.

1 Like

That was awesome! Great playing and some stuff I’d never seen before - that floor piano thing!

Good artists borrow, greats artists steal. There’s nothing new under the sun. Etc etc. I’m pretty sure that’s what everyone does, even the greats - you’re a damn fine musician.

2 Likes

Fantastic, Phil. I completely get what you said about regretting waiting so long to take this up, but it doesn’t seem to be holding you back. Congratulations - you must have fun playing that one.

1 Like

Very good. 3 and half years in and you already got the Moog Taurus pedals. Very cool. I use to play this song a looooong time ago in another band, was always a good jam and wouldn’t mind playing it with you. If you ever want to do ‘Money’, sign me up!

Thanks for sharing! That was great!

1 Like

Great. I love pink floyd. May I ask what gears are you using in this video? What about software?

Hi Tom, thank you!

The guitar was a Mexican player series strat. I have put a new neck on it since the video because I found the glossy fretboard was sticky. I swapped to a rosewood one now.

All the amp modelling and effects are done by the floor unit on the right, which is a Fractal FM3. I decided to go that route instead of real amps and pedals, because it’s cheaper in the long run.

Next to it is a set of midi bass pedals (Studiologic MP-113 I think) - they are driving a Moog minitaur which does the bass synth sound in the intro.

The screen with the arrow is a computer running Audacity which I use to record with.

cheers,

Phil

2 Likes

This is outrageously good. 3 1/2 years? This is not 3 1/2 years this is 20 years! Nice job. Now start a band or go join one you have chops. I have been play for much longer than you and I know this solo is harder then it sounds :slightly_smiling_face:as this is always true of Gilmour solo’s.

1 Like

Hi Molly, thanks for the kind compliment, and welcome to the community! I’m not sure this old fart is in any condition to play in a band :rofl: You’re right about Gilmour’s solos though - not many notes per second, but the way he plays them makes all the difference.

Having said that, I would actually like to be able to shred a bit, just for some variety, but my sweep and alternate picking speeds are crap at the moment.

2 Likes

Hi Phil,

Criticism??

Always loved the solo in this song - such a great tone to it - which you’ve nailed.
Very nice playing.
Excellent production all round.

3 1/2 years? I’d need 3 1/2 lifetimes.

Great Job.

Digger

Yeah, if I’m able to deliver anything approaching this level after only 3.5 years, I would consider that a smashing success.

Dark Side is one of my all-time favourite albums. It’s not right to call this merely an “attempt” to cover Time. This is a successful instrumental cover by any measure.

The tone is on point and your playing is gentle and expressive.

Congratulations Phil, awe-inspiring stuff.

1 Like

Keep them coming! It’s so good. Shredding will come. I know for me I always need to keep on exercise my sweeps or I loose speed. I love shredding myself and love Steve Vai as much as David Gilmore. But if I was on an dessert island I would take Gilmore if I only had a one choice.

Cheers,
Molly

PS. I deleted above post because I posted it two times. Oopsy!