Version 3.2.0 released Jul 1, 2022 - improvements / songs gone

https://community.justinguitar.com/t/app-update-lost-songs/95931/3

Yep someone else, looks like a song licencing issue

1 Like

@dwmcrow @RobDickinson

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Here is an update from Musopia:

Hi,

We’re really sorry that some songs are missing from the songplayer at this moment in time. We’ve refreshed our song catalogue & licensing to be able to add even more songs to the app in future.

We are scheduled to add hundreds of songs to the app in July and August and we have already replaced some of the older tracks with 400 new rock songs.
Following on from this, we have implemented plans to add serious number of country & pop songs to the app every 2 weeks increasing the overall song library.

We hope you can understand and that you enjoy the hundreds of songs that are available to you. Please ensure that your push notifications are active so that you are informed when new songs are ready to learn and rock out to!

If you’d like to request that your favourite songs are added to the app, we take song suggestions on our Upvoty board and you can post them here… Login

cc @MusopiaApps

1 Like

@MusopiaApps Well don’t mind me saying, but if this is how it’s going to be. I seriously consider to move my business elsewhere. I’m working on some songs that suddenly not available anymore. Not even brown eyed girl or wish you were here. Very disappointed.
New songs are fine , but don’t know any of them. I rather pay some more than how this is working out

4 Likes

@ToniMacaroni
Ton
Just logged on to app and you are right it has been updated and Brown Eyed Girl has gone. It was one I have been working on to pass Grade 1. Thankfully I am past the stage where I need the app for that song. The others are still there thank goodness.
Michael :-1:

PS Brown Eyed Girl is a very good song for beginners, easy repetition of chords @DavidP

1 Like

@DavidP don’t want to shoot the messenger, but I’ve lost pretty much all my favourites ( only 8 remain) including all the things I was working on.

The ‘songs for module 8’ lesson lists 8 songs, of which only 3 remain in the app.

To make matters worse, the app won’t even load on my phone. Very disenchanted.

1 Like

That would explain why the app modules do not include the “Songs for Module #” lessons.

@DavidP @Richard_close2u
It does not really help matters when those following the lessons on the website you see in the Songs for Module lessons a list of songs saying “Here are some songs in the APP that I recommend you check out” unless the list is maintained. This is difficult for the team to do as the songs available are dependent on region.

Therefore, it might be worth Musopia reviewing the “Song for Module Lessons” for Grades 1 and 2 and advising the team accordingly to ensure that the learn more section of these lessons are up to date and then notifying the team of any changes in the future song changes. Similarly, it would be good if Musopia could also take a look at the song list on the website and filter by Beginner Guitar App and advise the team of any changes in their song directory that impacts on this list so that the team can update the website. That way at least the website would be given the correct information especially when the website promotes the app.

It may also be useful if the website or forum included an app update where Musopia could give some periodic news updates on the app e.g. new features, song changes, technical issues.

2 Likes

Yes but for how long. They good be gone tomorrow. Do we have to put it all on paper before it’s gone? That would not even be a problem, if they let us know before they change it.

Ok enough.
Negative mode off.
Have a nice day all

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments and observations @Socio I have asked the team including @larynejg @FannyJustinGuitar to look at your post.
I will also tag
@MusopiaApps @Musopia

4 Likes

@ToniMacaroni yeah I expect I’ll get over it (in a year or two) :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Richard. To give the team a bit of an example:

Module 2 - Songs for Module 2 (A, D & E Songs)
The following songs are referred to as being available on the App:
Three Little Birds - Not in the app
Walk the Line - App uses B7, E7, A7 and G chords as well. Webpage learn more refers to E, A and C chords. Video lesson refers to A, D and E chords.
The Gambler - Not in the app
Common People - Not in the app
Leaving on a Jet Plane - In the app
For What it’s Worth - In the app
Lay Down Sally - In the app
Stir it Up - Not in the app
Twist and Shout - In the app but uses D, G and A

Hi everyone,

We’re really sorry that a collection of our songs is missing from the songplayer at this moment in time. We’ve refreshed our song catalogue & licensing to help us improve the module songs and to be able to add even more songs to the app in future.

We are scheduled to add hundreds of songs to the app in the very near future and we have already replaced some of the older tracks with 400 new rock songs. Following on from this, we have implemented plans to add large batches of country & pop songs to the app every 2 weeks increasing the overalll song library.

We hope you can understand and that you enjoy the hundreds of songs that are available to you. Please ensure that your push notifications are active so that you are informed when new songs are ready to learn and rock out to!

If you’d like to request that your favourite (song/songs) are added to the app, we take song suggestions on our Upvoty board and you can post them here… Login

We will try our hardest to get the song/songs added back to the Justin Guitar app. However, licensing is a very complex process within the music industry and we cannot promise that the (song/songs) will be added back to the app.

1 Like

This might be the case, but how come these songs are available on the website for free. And not on a payed for app?

Hi Ton - Where on the website are the backing tracks available for free?

1 Like

Ok, you got me there.
Maybe my comparison isn’t really adequate.
And I don’t have a clue how all this works.
But for on autistic old guy this is a struggle!

Sorry, I’m done complaining. Live’s to short.

Toni @ToniMacaroni
Fortunately as part of the learning process for the five songs I had prepared sheets with the lyrics and chords, and was using the app to get the tempo right.
Michael

1 Like

It’s great you are adding 400 new songs. Does that mean more of the existing songs will be going away? Repetition is supposed to make you better. If you keep rotating songs in and out, it is difficult to get the repetition you want. Plus, some of those songs removed are classics. For those of us that can’t sing, it’s nice to be able to play along with the vocals, and have others join in.

Please restore the songs that were removed.

Thank you.

1 Like

More than half of my favorites disappeared with the app update and, from the looks of it, most of the songs included in the Stuck 3/4 lesson are now gone (currently working Grade 2 Module 8 material). Most Pink Floyd material is now gone, apart from Comfortably Numb (further narrows the WYWH app lesson I suppose), Poison is gone (Every Rose - stuck 3/4 lesson song). Very disappointing; feel bad for those that rely solely on the app for lessons when the song referenced in the lesson is not available in the app (I stick to the website for lessons).

1 Like

Agree with you Brown eyed girl is a great song for beginners. I played it all the time a few months ago as it required getting some speed into the change from G to C and back again. I found that once I could do that comfortably most of the rest of the chord changes fell into place. Let’s hope it comes back soon.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t think Justin or Musopia have much control of the music licensing. They just have to comply and do their best to maintain the licenses.

I am sure they would prefer not to remove songs that they have spent valuable time and effort converting for the app. They are also annoyed, like you, when suddenly they are not allow to use the material.

I don’t know how to help or deal with it. Maybe sending a nastygram to a music label, but I doubt that would gain much traction.

It is still a great and useful app. Take it as an opportunity to learn new songs and new skills.

4 Likes

Creating chord and lyric sheets for the songs you are learning is a great way to learn them.

Those relying solely on the app for lessons wouldn’t know as the “Songs for Module #” is not included in the app modules. On the app the songs for the modules are whats on the app. It would be extremely annoying if you had just finished a Module and the song(s) you were learning as part of the practice sessions disappeared halfway through learning them.

Maybe it would be helpful if Musopia did what the TV streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime do where they give you advance notice when things are going to be removed from their streaming libraries.

2 Likes