Vintage Club #3 with Richard | Melody

This was discussed recently Peter so I won’t veer too far off topic. RE: the lick challenge - what is the difference between a lick and a riff?

Discussion of melody wasn’t included however.

The melody work I have given here over eight bars could be the springboard for a guitar solo or a vocal melody such as might fit a verse or chorus. Or it might simply be an instrumental stand alone piece.
A lyric to a song is definitely sung with melody and that is repeated throughout. The verses tend to have the same melody - perhaps little variations as the lyric-story and song develop. The chorus contains the same melody and is the ‘hook’ (think of the Chris de Burgh song again … no lyric in most of the chorus but a catchy melody …

laa - lala - laa - lala - laa - lala - laa

A guitar solo / lead guitar part can also been thought of as being played melodically. George Harrison’s solos in The Beatles re renowned for their melodic quality - so melodic you could whistle many of them.
Not all solos are melodic or contain melodic sections. Some contain melodic phrases mixed in with free form improvised parts. Here is a small excerpt from a much larger solo. The structure of this melodic excerpt could be described as [ A ] [ A ] [ A’ ] [ B ]

1 Like

Gunhild
@Gunhild
I thought the same as you I can play the riff from Margaritaville with these pairs of notes.
Also not quite but the intro riff for Brown Eyed Girl uses similar pairs of notes.
Michael

2 Likes

The live classes are a great idea and will hopefully be continued in 2024!
One question: is there a certain expression in music theory for those note pairs? I always find it helpful to class information in relevant context.
Sorry, if this has been mentioned during the session, but I missed your whole introduction and the last part due to connectivity problems.

1 Like

Brilliant that clears a lot up.
I try to whistle my solos-you can tell Im a beatles fan! and I find it works in call and response for blues.

Learning so much today. Its really enjoyable

1 Like

Thanks Toby. Yes,its falling into place.

1 Like

Andrea

The pairs are called Thirds. For an in depth exploration take a look at Richard’s thread on the topic, which he migrated across from the old forum.

3rds & Thirds

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Toby! I really have to catch up on theory Grade 3, when life is a little less rough again than this year :roll_eyes:. At least, I know now what needs to be learned :wink:. :hibiscus:!

1 Like

Listen to Vintage Club 1.mp3 by Geoff-M on #SoundCloud

Quick go, recording using. Tablet computer in front of amplifier… Hope I had the right idea…?

@richard_close2u

2 Likes

Andrea, I did consciously avoid terminoligy hoping that it would free people up to play, explore and create unencumbered. I was asked in Q&A at the end of the session so added it to the final page of the downloadable notes also.
As Toby has said, they are 3rds. :slight_smile:

@Gunhild and @MAT1953

Brown Eyed Girl and Margaritaville both use 3rds in their intro / lead lines. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@GeoffMolyneux You get a special Santa gift this year for being the first person to share a recording.

One sliggtly pedantic point that I do not want to give you any cause for concern or worry. I did show the notes as pais so this is all down to my lack of clarity in exllaing. I should have demonstrated more examlles. You were playing the 3rds as double stop pairs = harmony. The concept I wanted people to take away as an exercise in melody was for single note playing. Single notes = melody.
Listen to the four examples I have shared as audio files and follow the tab too - all single notes.
Thanks for getting the ball rolling!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like another attempt needs to be made…

I had been looking at the intro for Brown Eyed Girl. The Monday session helped. I had this idea during the club session.

:grinning:

1 Like

I look forward to another attempt.
Maybe many.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally appreciate this approach, as it avoids hitting those “felt barriers” of music theorie we probably built up due to negative experiences in school some decades ago :slightly_smiling_face:.
But, as you can see, interest in theory is growing and growing because you are able to transmit knowledge in a different way, by applying it in a practical way. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

It does seem to be. And one of the negative / critical feedback comments I received came from the perspective that my deliberate avoidance of the technical vocabulary and the naming of the 3rds was unhelpful.

You can never cover everybodie’s needs… :wink:. I feel, we are extremely blessed to have teachers like you and the whole team and Justin. Your and the team’s personel invest of time and energy to transfer knowledge is exeptionel and much more than anybody could expect. So :100: from my side and a BIG BIG thank you :slightly_smiling_face:!

3 Likes

@Richard_close2u

Noodled these 3 over your BTs late last night. Not in a position to record today, as waiting for deliveries. So I did a little Guitar Pro fiddling and fettled in Reaper. I think the third example will get some embellishments when played, so its more a starting framework.

soundcloud.com/tobyjenner/vc-3-melody-challenge

I think they meet the remit, please advise if not. :wink:

One for future a discussion - resolving. I found it quite hard to hear a clear resolution when not finishing on beat 1 or 3 but I’ll say no more at this stage.

Blues Chapters need recording by year end, so this has been left to simmer for now.

Happy Holidays peeps.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nice!

2 Likes

Well done!

2 Likes

Thanks, but it was not what was requested.
Single notes as melody.:neutral_face:

1 Like

I finally got around to recording this homework. I did it acoustically using my webcam, so the quality is a little rough. Vintage 3 - Melody

2 Likes