Vintage Club #3 with Richard | Melody

Thanks, I wanted to get some slides in it.

1 Like

Here is my melody assignment from the last live ZOOM

class. vintage project 1b.mp3 - Google Drive

Timing is harder than it seems it should be for me. Looking forward to more rythm challenges.

Hi Toby. Or should I call you the Melodic Madman?

I have these three tabbed out for you, labelled as [A] [A’] [A] [B] with rhythmic count under the melody notes.
1]

2]

3]

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice one Mark.
You have a very subtle ghost note from a slide up just before your final note of each section that was difficult to tab, more so with the lo-fi recording level. I think I have it.

Note - you have [A] [A’] [A] [A’].
Not wrong.
Simply a slightly different formmat.
There is no wrong.

10/10 Richard :rofl: I dropped them into GuitarPro post noodle, then exported to PDF as an aide. Did try recording these on Monday but had some tech issues in Reaper as it could not see the AIs inputs. After a couple of hours of head scratching I noticed that the Enable Inputs box was unchecked ! Double Doh !! So I eventually laid down a couple of rhythm guitar tracks instead. So more to come…soon. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I tried to open but need permission to access. Perhaps you can make it a public share so we can all listen. :slight_smile:

Oops, I think it’s accessible now.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, I created a tab for the notes I played.

2 Likes

OK I finally got an actual recording captured, so time to sign off on this project.
Ended using the Roadhouse Strat for both Lead and Rhythm (different POD Go presets) in the end, as the Gretsch and the LP proved to be a bit on the crunchy side for the exercise.
Also ended playing all three back to back.

vc-3-melody-challenge-gtr-recording

Best with headphones as Keys not cutting through on my PC speakers.

Next ?

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

nicely done!

Hi Mark. Thanks for sharing that. I have revised my TAB and created an mp3 of your melody with the backing track.

Note 1 - the hammer-on / pull-off is between frets 2 and 3 on the 1st string.
Note 2 - I have now written as [A] [A’] [A] [A’‘]
The rhythmic structure is the same for all four parts - hence all being named using the alphabetical letter A.
A B section would be a final part with a different rhythmic structure.
The 1st and 3rd sections are simple [A] due to being exact duplicates.
The 2nd and 4th sections match the rhythm but each has its own, slightly altered, ending. Hence [A’] and [A’'].

1 Like

Hi Steven. See if this TAB fits …

Very nice, thank you.
It is interesting to see a visualization of what I heard (in my “musical imagination”) and played. This is fascinating and all very new to me!
Steve

1 Like

I want to learn a few licks for my beginner soloing efforts. I see that there are large courses for blues soloing but I am hoping for a quick starter lesson that would give me 5 - 10 licks to learn. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Try this and the JustinGuitar lessons linked to.

Wow, thanks for the super quick reply, I will spend some time on that.

Finally got my vintage class #3 melody project done. Sorry about poor audio. Working with 2 cell phones. Still came out pretty good.

Listen to Vintage club melody 1.m4a by Darren Bergeron on #SoundCloud

Darren

2 Likes

@Richard_close2u I have a couple of questions.

1. Can the pairs and shapes be played on any adjacent strings? That is can you play Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do anywhere?
  2. Am I right in thinking that these vintage clubs (especially 2 & 3) are more for people who want to write songs? Is that right?
  3. You note in your resources that “The note pairs we played are 3rds.” What are thirds?

Nicely done Darren. I’m not sure I’ll have time to analyse and tab it so am just enjoying the listen.

Pairs of thirds exist on all pairs of adjacent strings but the shapes are not all the same due to the nature of the tuning of a guitar.
You can play the single note major scale anywhere, staring on any note on any string. If you want it to be the exact Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do major scale we used you would have to start on the note D - which can be found in multiple places and on all strings.

No. 100% not. The harmony session #2 was for people who want the means to play any song they like but whose chords may be difficult (barre chords say) or, equally, the opportunity to play along with the record or with a friend but using chords further along the neck that offer a different and pleasant contrast to the open position chords.

3rds (or thirds) is the name given to the intervals (actual, measurable distance, musically speaking) between the two notes, measuring from the lower to the higher note. It is in PMT Grade 5. And I didn’t name them as I knew some people would perhaps not know what the terminology meant.