Vintage Clubs - potential topics for future sessions in 2024

Sorry lost on all these things will have to look at the club thing.

How do I join wotsit groups?

1 Like

I will park my mobility scooter and turn up fot the next one.

3 Likes

You’ve been putting in a huge effort Richard, and it’s very much appreciated. Hope you and yours get a great Christmas break :innocent::+1::notes::heart:

2 Likes

These are a great idea Richard and thanks to everyone involved in these clubs.

I will try to get in on one but unfortunately I’m in West Oz so taking part in any of the forum live events is awkward timing :+1:

2 Likes

All I want for Christmas is the power to tag more than 10 people in a single post :rofl:

6 Likes

Richard, first let me express my thanks to you, Justin, Lieven, Lee and the support staff. Hosting live events of anything can be fraught with problems and in spite of that and a pretty sizeable workload, you all took it on.
Some potential topics could be:
Triads and arpeggios for accompaniment and chord simplification
Alternate tunings use and theory
Helpful suggestions for overcoming the challenges associated with an aging body ( I am guessing at your young age you have not encountered these challenges :wink: ) For example: Django Reinhardt became a leading force with a badly damaged fretting hand after a fire. How was he able to accomplish such a feat?
The seemingly ageless Rolling Stones continue to tour playing a number of songs that many of us find difficult to master, How do they do it? (Hint: Chuck Levell, their keyboardist and musical director simplified some of the scores while still retaining the vibe)
What are some of the aids available to assist the older players?
To be clear, I am not advocating to make the issues of aging the focus of any of the future club meetings but think it would be relevant to address the issues in the context of the class objective.

6 Likes

Hi Richard, thank you for the invitation to participate in the clubs. It’s amazing how Justin and the team keep providing more learning opportunities. Currently struggling to find practice time during this busy season of the year, but even if the timing doesn’t work for me I’ll see how I can take some advantage of all effort you’re putting on it.

2 Likes

Where do we find future dates please? I found the last one last minute, by accident.

1 Like

Hi Angie

New ones will appear here

but if you have signed up before you should also get an email. As nothing has been scheduled for the new year yet I would expect either a post in the Community or Newsletter update once the ink on the calendar has dried,

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thank you, Richard, I wasn’t previously aware of the clubs until your post about them, thanks! Now I’m trying to figure out how to join the clubs so I can attend future meetings as I’ve missed several already.

1 Like

Thanks @TGFNM14
Toby posted a link to the Clubs page in the post immediately above yours.
January dates are not yet confirmed. A potential resumption of 14 January will be discussed just after new year and further announcements to follow.

3 Likes

Excellent, thank you

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

2 Likes
  1. Pick manipulation and suggestions on holding onto it while strumming and playing.
  2. Suggestions on when to move on to the next lesson because some you can move through quickly others you need to work on longer.
  3. Tips on singing and learning songs without backtracking.
1 Like

@Richard_close2u thanks for the invite and all the work you put into these clubs. Looking forward to the next one.

Regards
Adrien

1 Like

For me rhythm is the most important!

1 Like

Agreed! I can’t strum for more than a couple of minutes before the pick starts moving/rotating. Resorted to Sellotape to help with this!

1 Like

An exercise I know of (I can’t remember if I saw it in one of Justin’s lessons or somewhere else now) is to develop your pick control by deliberately rotating the pick through 360 degrees (in both directions) while playing. Note that this means consciously moving the pick, not merely allowing it to rotate!

This means that you won’t always be strumming ‘perfectly’ during the drill, as some times the ‘picking end’ will be nowhere near the strings, meanwhile it will help you develop the skills needed to get the pick back into the correct position if it does wander.

3 Likes

I’ve not tried that as I’m consciously trying not to let the pick rotate! It’s not just the rotate though as the pick seems to slide between my fingers and I end up holding it at the very end.

1 Like

Hi all.

Next session Monday 15th 7-8pm UTC is going to be focused on ‘practice’.
By popular demand.

Beyond that, I would like to run a series of topics in a carousel style. I am thinking about bouncing between a few topics and at different levels of difficulty. This would make expectations a little clearer, remove some of the frustration evident in feedback that the material is either too easy or too difficult and give people time between sessions to work on the skills and techniques.
Example topics could be:
[1] Rhythm Part 1 Grades 1-2 (rhythm & strumming techniques & patterns)
[2] Triads Part 1 Grade 3 (finding and playing triad shapes)
[3] Fingerstyle Part 1 Grade 2-3 (first steps and simple picking patterns)
[4] Rhythm Part 2 Grade 2 (rhythm & strumming techniques & patterns)
[5] Triads Part 2 Grade 3-4 (using triads in a rhythm part)
[6] Fingerstyle Part 2 Grade 2-3 (4/4 and 6/8 patterns)

And so on.

I don’t have a finalised structure yet. Nevertheless, I want to put the idea out there.

8 Likes