Walk of Life - Major issues I am running into

HI all.
So I have been doing a lot of stuff lately, and I just started playing with songs.

I feel I am having a really hard time understanding a few things. I am doing rhythm work with a metronome, and I know that a lot of music comes from feel also, but I am not sure where I am going wrong.

Playing walk of life, even just with downstrums with the track I feel like I am on beat and then off beat, I get confused with which part of the beat we are supposed to downstrum, and I know it’s the ‘1’ however, is the 1 the kick drum or the snare?

eg: when I play with walk of life, I follow along to the same time that they strum their first chord, then the drummer comes in with ‘off beat’ high hats, ok that is when my foot is going up and the beat is when my foot is going down, I keep with that for a bit, then the kick drum comes in and I feel like I keeping up but then I sound like I am really off.

I am not really sure how to explain this better than it is, I am hoping that it just more practice on rhythm stuff going slowly and it will come to me, but if we are to be playing along with songs to keep up the motivation and they all sound like this (even three little birds was wack because it’s a reggae beat, which is also off beat) then I feel a little stalled…

Any additional advice would be greatly welcomed :wink:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Walk Of Life by Dire Straits Lesson