Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi

Hello!

After experiencing a mini imposter syndrome crisis today I made a decision to finally step out of my comfort zone, follow the advice of my fellow learners and post a video.

So here’s an extract of Wanted Dead or Alive by Bon Jovi. I’m currently in the beginning of Grade 3 and I noticed some rusty Fs and Ds here and there.

Still, I decided to upload in order to open up a bit, so feedback on how to improve these (and anything else) is very much appreciated!

15 Likes

Imposter? No way. You sound excellent. I play this song too and the intro arpeggios take a while to master. This is a great effort and thanks for sharing. Bravo! This is better than my version.

Jeff

2 Likes

Grabbing a beer for this one Helen, as I covered it last year. :+1:

1 Like

This intro took indeed a looooot of months to learn. But still, it’s an awesome tune and I bet your version sounds awesome too!

1 Like

Cheers to the Bon Jovi covers!

1 Like

I did a Bon Jovi song the other day here. “Never Say Goodbye”. I was surprised anyone remember it lol.

2 Likes

That sounded really good Helen and you seem pretty confident. Its not an easy intro and its even harder to get back to at the end of the verse but you did fine. I wanted more as I’d just about go my beer open ! The only advice I’d give is be careful not to take those curls to far between the intro and the verse, its just a slight “bend” like a blues curl, it sounded just a little further than it needed to be to my ears but apart from that darn solid.

Do you sing it as well ? Maybe a treat for the future !

Blaze of Glory is a good un as well :wink: another in my Madman’s Diary Playlist.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I’d better go check after that !!

I am up for the challenge Toby. Blaze of Glory if I can “wake up and raise my weary head” to start recording.

Its a good un Jeff but mine is a bit shoddy ! Just checked my Diary Chapter Playlist and see I have added just a finger style version of the Wanted intro and not the full song I recorded a year ago, so I am off to do some playlist editing !! :exploding_head:

Appreciate the bending feedback and the recommendation, thanks!

As for the singing, it’s a huge N O :joy:

I really want to learn to sing correctly in order to express my musical thoughts and develop my musicianship but that’s about it.

I have major insecurities when it comes to singing, especially acapella, and, to be honest, I’d rather focus on playing guitar, since that’s always been my dream.

1 Like

Helen

Singing is a skill that needs to be developed just like learning to play guitar. Believe me you can learn to sing at any age, I finally got round to it a 60 but really took off at 65 with Chris Liepe’s Discover Your Voice course, which a few folk in the Community have completed.

Never say no but maybe keep that in the back pocket for another day.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I might have to try that course Toby.

1 Like

Definitely not an imposter. Well played.

1 Like

Helen congratz on breaking the ice, you did it so time to knock off a champagne and drink to that! :grinning:

I think for a Grade 3 student you did wonderful, definitely I would be able to tell from far behind in the crowd what you are playing so you captured it pretty well. You are aware of dodgy chords here and there, some good advice from Toby as well and slowly trying to get to the original’s speed - that’s the goal for you and I am sure you will reach it :slight_smile:

Don’t speed up though until you feel changes are comfortable and clean at least 90% of the time. If you feel particular chord is tricky do some one minute changes excercise with other chord from the song to train the transition. Other than that you are good as gold! :grinning:

Oh and if you are not looking at singing anytime soon I suggest using backing tracks with vox, those can be fun too! And if speed is too high either slow it down on youtube or in DAW :slight_smile: all the best!

2 Likes

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting Helen and that was a wonderful way to do it. If you thought yourself an imposter, well this one completely dispels that.

Great advise from others and I’m looking forward to your completed version.

1 Like

Hi Helen,
Great playing a lot of technical stuff you showed :sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet: :man_bowing:,
great and i`m happy that you stepped out of your comfort zone,. :sunglasses:…a pity you did it just before the forum was completely dead for 2 days,…but you were a fantastic opener of the video section for me, thanks
Greetings,Rogier

1 Like

Well-done on the video. Lots of fantastic advice so nothing to add beyond my congratulations on a great debut AVOYP!

1 Like

Hello and congratulations for posting your first AVOYP! I think it overall sounded good, except for the intro…which sounded great! :blush:

1 Like

Hello Helen, congrats for your first AVOyP :clap:. That was really great playing. The intro was impressive. I‘m currently at the beginning of grade 2, so I hope to be able to play it like you some day :smiley:.
I‘m looking forward to hearing more from you :hugs:.

1 Like