We Wish You A Merry Christmas (first AVYP)

Merry Christmas everyone.

I am a grade 2 student and I challenged myself to post my first AVYP.

A chord melody version of We wish you a merry christmas.

Fun facts:

• This is the first song that I learn from memory because I was mostly using the app to pratice.
  • The F barre chord was not my biggest challenge in the song (yeah! I’m improving). It was actually switching between chords and melody notes that kept me busy for a while :open_mouth:

12 Likes

Congrats on your first AVOYP share, Mathieu. Your play and the recording sound great. Bravo. Keep doing what you are doing and I look forward to more in 2023.

Merry Christmas!

1 Like

Congrats on your first AVOYP! Sounds like you are well on your way. Merry Christmas!

1 Like

Mathieu, Congratulations on your first AVOYP. It sounds great and Grade 3 quality to my ears. Thanks for bringing this song to my attention since I had missed Justin’s song video from last year. I’ll have to add this song to my playlist for next Christmas.

1 Like

Congrats on your first AVOYP! It sounds really great :clap::clap::clap: :raised_hands: Look foward to hear more from you! :blush:

1 Like

@math07 Mathieu, I liked your recording quality - both tone and clarity. Would you be willing to share the setup or configuration of your recording - including hardware, software, microphone, etc.?
I am still recording from my iPhone, but planning to upgrade my recording, since I have recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Merci beaucoup.

1 Like

It sounds so clean. The change between chords and individual is usually quite challenging. Thanks for sharing, it’s beautiful.

1 Like

@DavidP @Traveler @SteveL_G99 @SILVIA @Josestrummingpattern
Thank you all for being so supportive and kind. Your messages really cheered me up. :partying_face: :smiley::partying_face: :smiley: I hope that you are enjoying your holidays! :santa: :santa:

1 Like

@SteveL_G99 Bonjour Steve :slight_smile: Great purchase, I really enjoy my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 too. The interface also comes with a free recording software (DAW) that I used : Ableton Live Lite.

This recording was made with my electric guitar. My setup is a little bit unconventional because I play electric with an amp simulator software (Neural DSP Nolly) on my computer instead of a real amp. So, I can directly plug the electric into the Focusrite, open my recording software (Ableton) and load the amp simulator. Then, my electric is recorded without any microphone. They have multiple pedals , tones and offer 14 days free trial in case you are curious.

I know that some real amp also allows to be plugged directly into the computer via USB. Or others record their amp with a dynamic microphone.

When recording acoustic guitar, however, I use a large diaphragm condenser microphone (CM25 MKIII) which came bundled with my Focusrite. Condenser mic seems to be great to record vocals and acoustic guitar.

PS: This video from Justin helped me : https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/home-recording-bg-1408
PS2: Est-ce que tu parlais français ? hihi

@math07 Bonjour Mathieu and merci. Good information since I also have an electric guitar.

Regarding Est-ce que tu parlays Francais? - Non, or perhaps more accurately, Je parle tres peu Francais. A year of french language studies in 1972 and a week spent in France in 1977, so I understood your question without using translation. I had a coworker from Montreal and heard all about the city and surrounding region. I told my wife that the Quebec province would be a great place to vacation someday, when we are ready to travel again. Enjoy your holiday and best wishes for the new year. Bonne année

Welcome,
Sounds great and was played well. Good job.

Amp sims are nice. They do just as you say. I would not call them unconventional as many use them, myself included. A good tube amp has to be blasted and maxed out in a lot of cases to get the best tones. I can’t do that in my house, so the sim is a savior!

All the best,
LB

@SteveL_G99 Yes, it is a great area to go on a trip. Merci, bonne année à toi aussi !

@LBro Great to see another amp sim user. Did you buy special speakers for your amp sim ?

I’ve read many reviews online about studio monitors for mixing tracks. But, few of the reviews were talking specifically about playing electric guitar with amp sim. I don’t plan on mixing or singing, my use case would be replacing my amp in my bedroom.

I purchased a good quality guitar (MIM Fender Strat), so I just want something that makes it sound the best possible for my enjoyment. And not pay 10x the price for extra that I don’t need as I’m not a mixer, producer or DJ.

Hi,
No special speakers for the amp sim were bought. I do mix and normally use cans or headphones. Monitor speakers will play an amp sim as they play guitars in music all the time. But I would not turn it up and grind away with your E Guitar. You sound like you have a small room possibly. I have a few amps. But a low cost solution to look at might be a small practice amp that I got. You could use your sim with it on it’s clean setting or skip the sim and use the modeling section of little amp. It gets pretty loud if you want to crank it up and it is made specifically for E Guitars. It is also capable of running on batteries and you could do a beach gig or be mobile if you wanted.

The amp I speak of is by Roland and is called the Cube. You can find it here:
Roland Cube - Guitar Amp

Hum, in looking at the Amazon post, 2 things come up about this Cube vs mine. From the pics, it no longer looks like it can run on batteries. It is now a lot more expensive too. I think I got mine for about $120 USD. I found it to be built real solid and it sounds pretty good for the money.

I looked around at Amazon and found the Cube amp I got. It might be discontinued. You can view it here and if you can find it, I would look at this one as it should be cheaper:
Roland Micro Cube GX

I see them used at Reverb.com. Just search for the model above it you are interested. Not sure if you are USA based or not?

Hope that helps,
LB

1 Like

@LBro Thanks for the recommandation. I’ll check it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

A bit late to the party here - that sounded great Mathieu! Playing fills/melody out of the chords is something I’d love to be able to do.

1 Like

@twistor59 Thank you for your kind words. Me too, it’s something that I’d like to improve in 2023. Hopefully, the new grade 3 course may help me to progress in that :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your first AVOYP posting. That was some really nice playing Mathieu.

1 Like

Remarkably clean and well played, great entry Mathieu (you have probably something in your mailbox :wink:).

1 Like

Thank you @SgtColon and @RadekSiechowicz . This encouragement is appreciated :slight_smile: Next AVYP, I’ll try a song with my acoustic guitar. It’s a shame I didn’t use my mic yet :laughing: