What are you currently listening to? 2022

@DarrellW Sheā€™s got it looks like 14 albums out. Do you have 1 or 2 recommendations out of those 14? I think you must have shared some clips from her before, as it looks like Iā€™ve listened to a few bits from her on iTunes. Sheā€™s freakinā€™ amazing!

1 Like

That is simply amazing, wow. Love the music. Love the facial expressions too. Iā€™ve thought many times Iā€™d like to be good enough to get into the zone where I could make some facial expressions when Iā€™m playing!!!

Iā€™ve been listening to Justinā€™s blues playlist, preparing myself for module 13, while trying to get my power chords fast enough to play a songā€¦ I have also been reading some of Justinā€™s food for thought lessons and liked the idea of a blues map and have now gone ā€œbackwards in timeā€ to Big Bill Bronzy and Hey Hey, which I only knew from EC unplugged until I started reading and mapping.

Hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did and hope to play a tenth as well some day!

3 Likes

She does have a good ā€œStank Faceā€ doesnā€™t she? You can do it - just let it happen! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not really, sheā€™s always been an amazing player and singer so if you can look them up on Spotify you should get a feel for what she was doing. Iā€™ve used Spotify for a long time now, it give you a lot of freedom to listen to different music!

1 Like

She helped me to learn slide!

1 Like

@roger_holland Rogier, thank for the link to the performance of Springsteen and Morello.

I confess I am not that into shredding, and the finale didnā€™t do that much for me, however, technically impressive it may have been. each to his own.

But I heard a Springsteen mention The Nightwatchman in his intro. That intrigued me, and have to say, Iā€™ll take this over the shredding. Took a little searching to find a song and video suitable to share, settled on this one.

4 Likes

Hi David,
What a beautiful song,ā€¦
And the ending with Springsteen is not always pleasant to listen for me tooā€¦a bit too much for the earsā€¦but technically beautiful

1 Like

And just before Sunday morning to practice :joy:
From 1:14 it really becomes rock blues

Joe Satriani - The Forgotten (Part 1 & 2)

I have a love/meh relationship with the Boss :upside_down_face:
I didnā€™t know the Tom Joad song, but kept expecting him to slip into the chorus of In the Dutch Mountains by your fellow countrymen, @roger_holland; n old 80ā€™s tune I used to love

1 Like

I suppose heā€™s like many of the artists who had/have careers measured in decades, rather than years, who all have peaks and troughs, albums that reasonably belong on lists of great albums and others that are better skipped.

The same hereā€¦
I have cupboards full of CDs (you tube music advertising has only recently been released for me)ā€¦and there was no Boss among them, only on some general collection CDsā€¦but he is often nice to play with I only found out recentlyā€¦And the Nits :joy:

Sheā€™s the real deal. Again I ask, how the heck did I not know?

Check this out:
Chicago Blues Women Trading 4s, Slide by Slide

I normally donā€™t like to post links to anything longer than about 10 minutes but this one is an exception.

2 Likes

Excellent, great selection of great blues women, really enjoyed listening to them! :+1::+1::+1:

Me too! Iā€™m not sure where the meh comes from but itā€™s always been there. Part of it may have to do with the way he was made out as some kind of blue-collar messiah and American savior back in the Born in the USA days.

I really enjoy these older recordings going back much closer to the origins of modern rock and blues. Thanks for posting this one!

I would suggest his early records are worth listening to, the first 4/5.

And while that album may have had many hit singles, I preferred those earlier albums.

Nebraska is one to pour a whiskey, put on, and savour.

As I said earlier ā€¦ each to his own :wink:

1 Like

Little Red Rooster at about 52 minutes, great womenā€™s Blues song.

Iā€™m pretty much with you. I guess Born in the USA was much more ā€œcommercialā€ than the rest. Here in the US it was massively hyped and he played so many sold out stadiums on that tour. Many (most?) of the people who bought those tickets had no idea who Springsteen was outside of the iconic song. Anyway, probably my least favorite of his albums. I really canā€™t put my finger on what it is - something about him makes me want to dislike him, but I suppose after over 40 years of making music for millions of fans heā€™s proven to be pretty good at what he does!

1 Like

Ooo ,ā€¦of course I know the great works of Springsteenā€¦and I have a lot of them on vinyl record and tapeā€¦but I have an okay/love relationship ā€¦I find a lot so

1 Like