What are you currently listening to? 2023

2 Likes

Popped up on my YT feed last night, I was mesmerised! 5 minute Slash blues solo :boom:

3 Likes

Over the past 10-15 years, I’ve built my personal collection of Slash’s live improvisations and this one is definitely one of the greatest ones from the Guns N’ Roses reunion tour.

Here’s another recent one (not the best solo from the 2022 tour, but currently not at my home computer to find the bookmar):

A fun fact (that I always share with anyone who mentions Slash and his improvisations):
Duff McKagan said in an interview that Slash goes into “a different plane” during his solos and that he watches his foot to see when “he is back”. Supposedly there’s a minor movement change or something.

5 Likes

I can’t watch his hands and foot at the same time!! :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, that was indeed mesmerizing!

Okay. I apologize in advance for replying to an almost 2-year old comment. But I’ve been enjoying listening to some resonator guitar lately, and then this comes up on the first page of this thread!

Come Together is one of my favorite Beatles songs. It’s the second Beatles song I learned the bass line to.

This video does not help the joke I asked a friend today. Which was, “Do I need to quit learning acoustic guitar and start on resonator instead?” :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

JJ is such an incredible player, Im enjoying learning some of his arrangements and tunes…

2 Likes

Lately, I’ve been coming back to a lot of Roy Clark on guitar. Like this piece. He was some kind of amazing.

3 Likes

And whilst I am in here, its been a triphop kind of week

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Morcheeba - Big Calm

Portishead - Roseland NYC live

Not the most guitary stuff but its all incredible music

4 Likes

Love Portishead :heart_eyes: Remember seeing their concert in Christchurch late 90’s and Beth apologising for being so hungover after the Auckland gig the night before :joy: She was still amazing though :star_struck:

P.S. what a fantastic way to spend my lunch break going through the past 10 days of shares above, some awesome tracks, stories and new discoveries for me, keep em’ coming peeps! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah its a great thread for that.

Saw Beth in Liverpool many years ago along with BRMC, what a gig! Small uni venue

1 Like

Portishead!
:sunglasses: :+1:

2 Likes

Crikey Rob, some blinders from my university days, all fabulous tunes!

1 Like
1 Like

@Notter Thanks for the Slash share, Mark.

@glpguitar Great follow up Luka, Myles Kennedy is so good.

2 Likes

Apparently, one of the last electric Hot Tuna shows:

This was just served up to me by the YT algorithm. I am sufficiently impressed.

1 Like

Anyone listened to the new Stones album Hackney Diamonds? I would highly recommend doing so, it’s a great album without any fillers and the proof their signature sound is still relevant in 2023. The album features some interesting appearances, with Elton John, Lady Gaga, Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder and Bill Wyman being the most prominent ones.

1 Like

Not yet @Jeff but I think I will. I’ve read a few reviews that seem generally positive. This morning YT served me “The Rolling Stones: ‘Hackney Diamonds’ - is it any good?” on the Classic Album Review channel. I enjoy his content and the fact that I generally agree with his views (yes, I know about confirmation bias etc), which means if he is positive then probably worth a listen.

While skimming a few comments (I know and often ask myself why I do that) I spotted one that mentioned a live Stones album released in May '22. But not a recent performance. This is a retrospectively released recording from the 2 shows done at the El Mocambo club in '77. The shows were done as part of Keith’s sentence after the Toronto drug bust. 300 people in a small room.

Of course the Stones is not everybody’s cuppa java, but if blues rock is your thing, I think this is up with the best recordings of the Stones live I’ve heard. And I think fair to say the Stones are a live band, rather than anything super special in terms of studio recordings full of layering, over-dubs, and production. These shows draw on the recorded material, originals and covers, from their first 15 years. And some may say perhaps they should have packed it in shortly after, over staying their welcome by 40 years :rofl: Given the quality of the records produced over the years, which as a Stones fan I would say were pretty nothing special, yes some great songs but not necessarily albums to listen to start to finish, I’d not argue the point.

Anyhow, enough of that preamble, this is ‘What are you currently listening to?’ and with the house to myself I have this concert cranked up through my studio monitors.

2 Likes

Been busy with some morning Mod work and after El Mocambo 1977 time for the new album. Based on the listen while typing away, I’d say it’s pretty good. I’d immediately say just one weak track. For the rest, it’s what you’d expect from the Stones but doesn’t sound like they were going through the motions to make another record to fulfill a contractual obligation.

Hard to judge a new album when comparing it to the classic albums. Are there songs that in time may be as regarded up there with some of the classics. I guess time will tell, though maybe the Stones don’t have the time to see that through. I say that in the sense of 5 years from now how many of these songs may feature in a show when drawing from their catalogue, playing the classics that people want to hear when they go see the Stones as a fan.

I’m far too talkative this morning, crank it up …

3 Likes