What are you currently listening to? 2023

One of my favorite band. Thanks for posting Mari. I think I may have driven Toby @TheMadman_tobyjenner mad with my ABB references on the old forum

1 Like

@stitch nowt wrong with some good old ABB and unlikely to be the cause of my insanity. :rofl: Nice share @Mari63 will give it a spin later. :+1:

1 Like
3 Likes

@JasonBuk thanks for sharing that, good message to hear this morning.

Seeking inspiration from the maestros

1 Like
1 Like

I was quite upset to hear last week that Otis Grand died a few months ago. I saw him live a couple of times back in the day and he was a vibrant and expressive blues guitarist, of whom BB King once said ā€œHe plays guitar like I did when I was youngā€. Iā€™ve just taken delivery of his 2012 album Blues '65 and Iā€™m looking forward to listening to it when i get the time over the next few days.

2 Likes

Probably doesnā€™t need me to tell you that Bruce Cockburn is an amazing guitarist and songwriter, but if you donā€™t know him, please check him out :slightly_smiling_face:

Based purely on his performances here I can imagine @brianlarsen giving this particular song some of his unique energy :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Haha, Iā€™d have to learn to play the guitar first! :rofl:
Cheers for the heads up though- I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve heard any of his stuff before, so itā€™s on my long to-do list :grinning:
Meanwhile, Iā€™m listening to Skyscraper Stanā€™s latest offering.
You heard it first here, folks :wink:

4 Likes

Liking this a lot Godfrey, great share. :+1:

1 Like

Once every few months I listen to everything The Last Internationale ever put out.

1 Like

Going through my albums and making up another list of ā€˜favoritesā€™, mostly reliving favorite albums from my teenage years.
This album came out March 1979. I would have been 15 1/2 that summer. My dad was going to summer school to get his masterā€™s degree so mom and dad and 3 of us kids lived in a trailer park near Kingston, ON so dad could go to courses at Queens University. All day weā€™d swim in whatever lake it was we were camped on, and all night weā€™d play ping pong with the rest of the trailer brats and plunk quarters into the jukebox. Must have been a pretty old jukebox because apparently ā€œIn the mid-1970s, the number of jukeboxes on the market was at an all-time low of around 175,000 units.ā€ And then for a week I had the thrill of going sailing with my best friend and her family on their beautiful sailboat Integrity. The joys and innocence and freedom of youth. I did think this album had too few guitars on it, but I did play a lot of piano at the time so the music was still amazing. Listening to it now through ear buds at a half deafening volume, the music does not disappoint at all.

I think Iā€™m a bit high on painkillers right now so perhaps more effusive than usual. But I hope youā€™re all enjoying your music.

And yay for painkillers!!

11 Likes

Thank for the memories @Mari63 Saw Supertramp in the summer of 79 when they played in Calgary. Was a great outdoor concert at the football stadium on a nice summer evening.

Still have the ticket stubs.

3 Likes

What an awesome memory, Rick. The closest I got was an Oct 2011 Roger Hodgson concert at the Thunder Bay Community Auditorium, and it was pretty great! I found a set list for that concert online, and my recollection of great music is confirmed!!

$12. Lol

2 Likes

@Mari63 What a great memory, Mari. This album and one other was among those on my playlist in 1980 when a school friend started my musical education. Rumours was another that I played over and over, with Night at the Opera, and Made In Japan.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this great memory of yours. Brought back my own bitter sweet memories to this one too :wink:.

1 Like

Oh dear, Mari, sorry to hear that, whatever the cause :mending_heart:
But thank you for the memories. This was on constant rotation in '79, when I was working i was working a bartender in our (soft-drinks only) bar at school :roll_eyes: :laughing:
Every now and again I throw in a bit of Supertramp (or Steely Dan) when I feel like a bit of nostalgia
Babaji is one of my favourites

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks Brian. I think 2 more months today will give me some impressive nostalgia bragging rights!!! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Iā€˜ve just found this vid by accident. Iā€™ve always loved this song, and Johnsonā€˜s blues version of it is simply fantastic. Love it :heart_eyes:.

4 Likes