What are you currently listening to? 2024

OK got the Southern Rock itch out of the system.

As I have added Hard Rock early Metal to my curriculum for 2024, I have been revisiting lots of old bands from yesteryear, Maiden, Saxon, Purple, Priest, Rainbow and Sabbath to name but a few. So I realised that despite me seeing Sabbath as Ozzy and Ronnie as THE vocalists and the others getting nowhere near them and Dio’s super vox on the Rainbow albums, I never did a deep dive into Dio as a band, Yes I knew a few of there bigger hits, heard them pop up on Planet Rock but never invested in the “discography”. So it was time to change all that, find 12 on the volume and have some fun.

Just a couple of albums for now but beats Netflix and Amazon. This old rockers off for Zeds.

7 Likes

Daughter’s been working 15 hr days 12 days straight and on call 24 x 7 keeping her NHS region running and still finds time to keep her old man fed with cool toons to float his boat. Down dirty Southern Rock ticks the usual boxes and another new band for me.

What’s not to like.

And the Toob algorithms chucked me a cool SAHB offering. Suspect Norway has never been the same. Good to see Zal Cleminson is still alive and kicking. One of the most entertaining guitarist out there (and boy was he out there !).

1 Like

Scratching a fusion itch.

1 Like

Just ran across this version of Stratus, played by John McLaughlin just last year. Had to post it, too. Dude is in his 80s and is still a monster player.

4 Likes

My goal to play it this year

2 Likes

Good choices! I’ve been spending some time recently with Dio and Holy Diver especially - simple but effective power chord riffage that’s not difficult to get to grips with :metal:

1 Like

Sad to hear Tony passed away, saw them quite a lot in my youth, but not quite as many as those in your avatar Pete, I lost count of those gigs.

1 Like

You appear to have a good choice in music there @philsmith!
Lost count myself of seeing ‘those in my avatar’ :wink: from both before and after the big Scottish fella fronted them. It still surprises me how little Steve Rothery is publicly ‘known’ having read guitar forums for many a year. One of the few guitarist who can genuinely send a shiver down my spine with his phrasing.

Have to be honest I stopped listening them when Fish left. I can feel myself being dragged back towards the rabbit hole. @TheMadman_tobyjenner is also posting a lot of bands from my youff.

1 Like

A favorite from a few years back now and I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed the guitar solo. Must have a crack at working that one out as couldn’t find the tab last time I looked.
The Eden House were (are?) a collaborative project that had some ex-members from ‘Fields of The Nephilim’ in the fold (for those of you into your goth)

1 Like

Whilst having more of a soft-spot for their first 4 albums, you’d be missing out on some later classics if you ignore a sizable proportion of the stuff with ‘H’. Do an Alice and get down that rabbit hole …

1 Like

Currently on Tool/Undertow because why not?

2 Likes

Maybe because it’s -22 C here at the moment and it’s so grey here right now, no sun to be seen anywhere… This… :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

Sweet Child O’ Mine: Yes, well, we all know how great the original is, and yet this acoustic rendition (I’ve been diving deeper into the Playing For Change channel) is, I think, simply beautiful. Who knew that such a tender song was lurking there?

2 Likes

Just getting warmed up (ear wise) for tonight’s OM, with some good old Aussie Rock.

1 Like

I’ve listened go the new Green Day album today. I’ve been listening to every single being released for the past two month and now the whole album. And it’s great (in my humble opinion)! Not the best record in the history of music, but it’s not the reason why I love Green Day. Catchy fun songs, brilliant production, great playing and amazing vocal performance by Billie Joe, he sounds here better than he ever did.

4 Likes

Love Steve Rothery. The Studio Rats were giving him some love recently.

One of the best gigs I went to was in December 84 at Hammersmith. I think it was their Fugazi tour. They also did an early version of some of the Misplaced Childhood album.

It was actually recorded and broadcast by the BBC and a lot of it is on their Official Bootleg Box set.

They ended up doing three encores. The third one they weren’t anticipating, but the audience really didn’t want them to go, so there was a bit of band discussion before they decided on what to play.

Afterwards, Fish asked the audience to go home and put an end to the night.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Time to dig this 2009 classic out

And a bit of this late in the evening. Had not seen this before, Mary and Pete doing an amazing cover

2 Likes

This month has been much more hectic than I expected… I’ve been getting familiar with the works of Tom Waits, and I love blasting out this tune as a way of letting off steam:

And this one has a pretty fat bassline that I like very much:

1 Like

This one is also really good on an annoying work day or so. As loud as possible please…

2 Likes