What are your ‘go to’ songs?

Aha! I’m not the only one!!! I have a couple I am trying to save for just such an occasion! When it will happen?? Ahhh…hard to say. Is on the list.

Nice to know others are thinking the same way.

Rock on!
Darren

1 Like

Such an awesome song. One that is on the list to learn. Probably some time in the future. But I have the lyrics. Just have to find time to get the starts going.

Remembering all the words is not quite there for me. Still need visual references. But I’m trying and with time I’m sure I will.

Rock on!
Darren

2 Likes

I have the album that I linked in my reply above. My mother went to visit friends in France that used to live next door when I was a boy and came back with that CD. It always gave me the chills and I wanted to figure out how to play it. It was REALLY good practice for rolling. It is about the only thing I can play that doesn’t require the vocals to be meaningful.

1 Like

thats the kind of music i often listen to when i work
I thought you needed a lute to play this kind of songs , never thought of playing it with a guitar :open_mouth:

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Sittin’ On the Dock of a Bay by Otis Redding
Mother by Pink Floyd

3 Likes

I play it on my metal electric (Tremonti SE). Really. I go super clean on the amp and use the middle position on the pickups to get both together. I like the way it sounds. I am working on improving my dynamics and some timing variations to help elicit the chills in listeners. Still a work in progress on that, but some days I give myself chills!

2 Likes

I would undoubtedly start with a Jimmy Buffet tune.
Margaritaville
A Pirate Looks at Forty
etc.
Then there is:
Toes - Zac Brown
Peaceful Easy Feeling - Eagles
Cracklin’ Rose - Neil Diamond

2 Likes

Is there a link to a recording of that I could listen to? Sounds interesting.

My go to songs depend on the audience. My fav style is fingerstyle folk music and I have a few go to songs: If you could read my mind - Gordon Lightfoot, Older Chests - Damien Rice, Last thing on my mind - Tom Paxton.

If it’s more a party / pub crowd, then songs like Stuck in the middle with you - Steelers wheel, Have you ever seen the rain - Credence, Wagon wheel - various, Maybe it’s time - Bradley Cooper, Don’t let the old man in - Toby Keith

2 Likes

I would probably start with Bob Dylan’s Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.
Other songs, I feel quite comfortable with are Luka (Suzanne Vega), The River (Bruce Springsteen), Follow Me (Uncle Crackers), and I’m Gonna Be - 500 Miles (The Proclaimers).

3 Likes

The same as I open my set with to grab their attention.
I wanna show them the show is ON!
There’s no “gentle starts” for me; I go for an expressive acoustic version of “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley

2 Likes

It would go something like this:
The Shadows - Wonderful land; Moody Blues - Nights in white satin, Ride my sea-saw; Van Morrison - Brown eyed girl; Bob Marley - 3 little birds, Redemption song; Joe Satriani - Flowers in the rain; Troggs - Wild thing; Muse - Plug in baby.

2 Likes

Darren @Dman74
Without giving anything away those of a certain age will probably of heard one of the them, the other one I don’t think many will know.
Michael

1 Like

Hmmmmm.,…now this is a song I forgot about. Played it alot many years ago.Dang you!!! Now I have to get the lyrics!!! :sunglasses::grinning:. I should b able to at it without crying now. Long story. God love ya mom!

But[quote=“LievenDV, post:30, topic:304408”]
with to grab their attention
[/quote]

Good point. I forgot you mentioned this. Grab their attention…hmmmmmm…I would probably start with Neil Young’s - Heart of Gold, probably one of the most recognizable I know and certainly o e of the ones I know well… Many love er…yeah, you got me thinking again Lieven!!! Thanks!!! :sunglasses::grinning::slightly_smiling_face:

Rock on!
Darren

2 Likes

No recording Tony. When I first learned it years ago, I was experimenting with fingerstyle & couldn’t keep up with the original version, my fingers wouldn’t cooperate! So I slowed it way down, slapped a capo on at the 2nd fret & sang along with a sorta falsetto… it worked out pretty well so I haven’t changed it!
It will probably be my 1st AVOYP if I ever get past the “red light fever” thing!!!

Tod

2 Likes

Great list. How long did it take to learn all those songs?

Thanks Tod

I’ve done the same with a number of classics. Such a different feel to the strummy originals. Tag me if you remember when you post it. :smiley:

You got it!
You’re right… totally different vibe!

Tod

In a situation like that, I’d deny everything, even my name :smiley: Seriously, I might be the most selfish member of this community, but I play the guitar only for my own enjoyment and I’m really not intent on performing to others. Most of the music I’m interested in (especially instrumental pieces) may not even be popular enough in my circles to warrant any off-the-cuff singalong performance.

In a reverse situation, I’d wait if any of the guests mentioned that they play the guitar and asked to play something. Knowing myself, I’d probably say yes and be happily surprised by the suggestion.

1 Like

Wow…such an interesting topic, I admire really when someones say they can play from memory or by heart. I can play dozens of children’s tunes from memory, but I don’t think anyone would be interested :joy:
I’m very confindent with Hallelujah, Whats up (if someone offers to sing) and just a few italian songs anyone over here would know and sing.

2 Likes

I am so happy to see you all are learning songs, learning songs, learning songs!
:sunglasses: :slight_smile:

8 Likes