What are your ‘go to’ songs?

I love the whole singing/playing bit, singing is easier than playing :rofl:

Mine would currently be:

Just Another Moment - Redgum
I was Only Nineteen - Redgum
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Knocking On Heavens Door - Bob Dylan
Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) - Greenday

Plus a few others I could throw in if they hadn’t got bored and gone off to listen to something more interesting by then :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

A second vote from my side! I’m so curious about that fingerstyle version!

Ok, I will try to get a recording made!

Tod

That sounds fabulous! Looking forward to your recording!

My issue is this:
I sit and play the song through while singing 2-3 times with no “major” mistakes… all the correct chords in the right places, the occasional wrong string played, singing the correct lyrics. I have played this in front of family members & nobody notices the minor errors.
I try to record & at about “take” 33 or so, I give up. It’s weird - my wife has tried to record me but I always seem to notice her with her iPhone & immediately screw it up!!!
So….
I will keep trying, but no promises!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Tod

3 Likes

That ended up being harder to answer than I thought it would be. The songs I’ve done within the past few months are listed:

Foo Fighters Learn to fly- just posted here yesterday

Offspring Self Esteem

Simple Plan Welcome to my life

One Direction Story of My Life

Always Remember Us This Way- Lady Gaga

When Love and Hate Collide Def Leppard

Live Like You were Dying Tim McGraw

Kryptonite 3 Doors Down

Making Straight As-school of Rock Jack Black

Can’t Help Falling in Love Elvis

Latest in work: All I Wanna Do Sheryl Crow, Burn it Down Linkin Park

1 Like

Hi Tod,

It is psychological about the recoding. I get that way performing in front of groups sometimes, like I know the lyrics and melodies then choke. I think if you or I just picture singing successfully before starting that could help. Don’t give up though. My songs were on an awful steak to start the year and thus far the last one I just posted got a lot of positive reviews. Always more work to do though. Take care

Jeff

1 Like

Thanks Jeff! Just need to get in the right “space” up in the ‘ol noggin’!!!

Tod

for me it would be
the ballad of john and yoko
judy teen
make me smile
its so easy buddy holly
peggy sue
Oh Boy
C mon everybody
living on an island status quo
margarita time status quo

2 Likes

This one really varies for me, depending on what pops into my head.

At the moment, it would probably be:

Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit version
Wish you well - Bernard Fanning
Just Breathe - Pearl Jam
Layla

4 Likes

The would start with Take it Easy, then Old Man, then Take me Home Country Roads, then Wonderwall, then Heart of Gold, and finish with Harvest Moon. Encore haha (if anyone around) would be Mr Tambourine Man.

1 Like

Hi Tod!

I guess, this is how it is for a lot of us, including myself! As soon as the record button gets pressed - I mess it up, and even if it’s only the very last chord. I can’t even say, that I’m nervous whilst recording myself, it’s more a kind of being distracted by the camera. So take your time and don’t feel pressed to record something as an AVOYP. It was just a subtle encouragement. It would be a pleasure to hear the picked version, but not at the expense of you feeling stressed or uncomfortable :wink:.
I’m no performer at all and I totally understand, when people don’t feel comfortable with posting.

1 Like

A bit late to the party here as I just returned from spring break holiday with the family.
I have a repertoire of about 40-50 songs that I can play from memory and on demand but my go to songs are dependent on who I am playing to. We have a lot of BBQ nights in the backyard in the summer where the guitar comes out so here is probably my top 5;
U2 - with or without you
The cranberries- Linger
Oasis - don’t look back in anger
4 non blondes - what’s up
Bruce Springsteen- Born to run

I have bunches of other songs that I prefer to play and sing when alone but I always reckon if I am playing to others then they want to hear songs they know and can sing along to (especially after some beers :beer: have been consumed)

2 Likes

Thanks for a new song to try @jkahn. Not being a Limp Bizkit fan, and knowing the lyrics to every song on the Who’s Next album by memory since 1973,

I was skeptical about a cover of Behind Blue Eyes. I’ve been learning the Who version (picking the intro and strumming the rest so far) and loving it. Just played along with Limp Bizkit. Expressive and fun - especially the whacky bridge.

1 Like