What bands have I missed after the mid 1990’s

Very much depends on the type of music you like. I grew up with 60 70 rock, hard rock, early metal, so if you like loud here’s a quick brain dump

Black Stone Cherry.
Shinedown
Creed
Seether
Puddle of Mudd
30 Seconds to Mars
Muse
Stiltskin
The Black Crowes
Airbourne
Evanescence
Within Temptation
Delain
The Pretty Reckless
Fireflight
Five Fingered Death Punch
Halestorm
Paramore
Staind
We Are The Fallen
The Prodigy
Von Bondies

So just turned 66 and still rocking, these just of the top of my head. Brainwashing my daughter with Sabbath, Purple, Skynyrd, Led Zep and early Maiden when she was very young (yes rock lullabys) pays dividends now, as she keeps me fed with new bands that she knows will float my boat.

Never too old to rock n roll.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha, five albums, but no EPs I’m afraid :rofl:
I’m guilty here of having quickly trawled through all of it and cherry-picking the appealing first-listens to a couple of mix cds which I used to listen to a lot. I know you miss some of the best songs when you do this :roll_eyes:
Also, no points for knowing I like them- one of my recent 8mm clips had them and Trond mentioned their new release :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Third Eye Blind is my favorite from the late 90s, started around 1998 or so. I can play a few of their songs on guitar.

Breaking Benjamin is another that fits with that group. I learned their song dear agony. Great rocking group of recent years.

If I follow up all the suggestions I might not get any guitar practice done. Will take my time and work through them

Toby what a list thanks
Actually a couple of years old!

1 Like

Just scraping the surface with that lot, 30 years is a long time to cover but hey drop any of those into Spotify and enjoy !
:sunglasses:

What a ridiculous question! :roll_eyes:
Oh-
Okay then :laughing:
No point in overload, so I’ll keep it short.
Apart from the consistent high quality output from Messrs. Tom Waits and Nick Cave, some lesser known/alternative bands include:
Virtually everything from Belgian band dEUS
The Ideal Crash is an almost perfect pop album
Same goes for MeWithoutYou from Philadelphia (currently on farewell tour :frowning_face:)
Ten stories
The Lonelyhearts from Iowa, USA. harder to find online but you can listen to (and buy) on Bandcamp
Disaster Footage at Night and Dispatch
Oh yes, Well worth lending your ears to Calexico. They have a new album out today, which i’m looking forward to dipping into later :grinning:

Great thread, I’m in much the same boat.

Anyway, here are two: Red Hot Chili Peppers and The White Stripes (and Jack White’s other projects).

@jjw
John
I think some of us get to point where we are not keen on the current music and stop listening. And fall back on the oldies and never go back to current music.

Have heard of RHCP but not White Stripe until started Justin’s lessons

Didn’t see him mentioned so I’ll throw in Jack Johnson.

1 Like

I’m 55 and I’ve tried to discover new bands but I’m always disappointed. I’ve seen discussions elsewhere lamenting the state of rock music. I have to agree. It’s not what it was from the 60’s thru the early 2000’s. There’s some newer bands I enjoy but not many. Even those I like, say Five Finger Death Punch or Disturbed, aren’t even all that new.

In a way, it’s like country music. I love the older stuff but I can’t get into the new stuff. For the most part, it’s just so much pop music with a steel guitar. Rock has the same vibe. Sugary pop music with a distortion pedal. Maybe I’m just old. That’s fine. I’ll happily listen to my “classic” rock and be happy.

1 Like

Oh, you picked a strange time to climb out of your bunker. If I had one I would probably pick up a newspaper (do they still even make them?) and then crawl back in.

You’ve actually missed a lot, some of the music is actually very, very good. I think that “Indie Rock” of the 2000’s would be a good place to start, it covers a lot of ground and there should be something in there to like.

1 Like

I forgot all about Puddle of Mudd… She F Chord Hates Me

@CT
Clint, I guess I have just stepped out of a bunker having reached retirement from a very demanding job with time now to look around and deciding to pick up a guitar after a gap of more than 50 years. Better late than never I would say. Will give Indie Rock a look at, thanks for the advice.

1 Like

I hear ya! I was in a work, family and grind out a living mode for a while too, and had to drop guitar for a spell. Stay the course and the guitar thing will open up for you. See you around, sir!

1 Like

I live in northern NY, so I get some Canadian stations on the radio. Check out The Trews, Glorious Sons, The Tragically Hip. I also enjoy Volbeat, Black Stone Cherry and Social Distortion. On the country side, I like Chris Stapleton, Jamey Johnson and Blackberry Smoke.

1 Like

Have heard of the bands Epica, Jinjer, Sabaton, Sevendust, Lorna Shore, Gloryhammer?
Then there’s the latest Nightwish lineup and if you want something really different Voiceplay!
A good track to listen to from Jinjer is Pieces!

I cannot believe no one has mentioned U2, a very influential band.

Who do you say?..you too…
I will look :wink: