What five campfire songs should you have in your locker

Out walking the dogs this afternoon and came across a coronation street party in a local road.
There was a guy playing a guitar who seemed to have all the gear including some studio sized monitors on stands, definitely not the sort of thing you have for home use, we have similar ones at the guitar club in a church hall.
He seemed a very competent player, don’t know if he is a resident or somebody they had hired, will find out when I bump into one of residents walking their dogs.
To the point of this post he was playing when we went past, Rod Stewarts Handbags and glad rags, which is not one that made even the one vote list. (David @BurnsRhythm I have checked, double and treble checked the list and it is definitely not there.)
He played others but could not make them out in the distance.
Michael

Ah but….yer Honor :grimacing:

Handbags And Glad Rags isn’t Rod Stewart’s song, or The Stereophonics.

It was written by Mike d’Abo who was the lead singer in Manfred Mann :sunglasses:

1 Like

M’Lord my clients assertion is that although it contains the same chord progression and the lyrics are similar they are completely different songs. Now where have I heard that recently?
Stereophonic is not a band I know anything about, Manfred Mann 5 4 3 2 1 I have heard of. My extensive research has shown that Mike d’Abo did write the song but the Stereophonics recorded their version at least 30 years later than Rod Stewart.

Ha ha! Nice one.

Stereophonics are a great band. You should look them up!

Mike d’Abo also wrote Wake Me Up Buttercup.

1 Like

So @MAT1953 did you try these songs out with folk? I have a “campfire” session in a few weeks, so was curious about what worked and what didn’t.
Thanks
Paul
PS In a previous session I found Don’t Worry Be Happy; Knockin on Heaven’s Door; and You can’t always get want you want, all worked OK, with the first two definites as simple and folk knew enough to sing at least some lines.

1 Like

Paul @PaulPGlasziou

Not sure I have had a true “campfire” session but the guitar club have had two get togethers at the beach so far this summer. The first was covered in this Michael and Guitar Club Campfire/Jam - #31 by MAT1953 post. Not many off the list but some, but generally based on what chord sheets people had. We were taking requests at the end from passers by without chord sheets and somebody would say something like this it is in the key of G only three chords and first chord is G - now that is a challenge for a beginner like me.

The second time we had been sent about a dozen Beatles chord sheets so worked through those and near the end a passer by asked if she could sing along and she looked through peoples chord sheets and chose some songs. I think she is actually going to come along to the club purely as a singer.

I think the range of songs had a lot to do with the age group that came along with a lot of songs from 60’s to 80’s.

Not sure if the above is helpful but there is my experience so far.

Michael

1 Like

Thanks. Liked the video of the session. And sending around some chord sheets before sounds a good idea. Cheers
Paul

1 Like

Hope you all watched Live Stream #3,
I thought Justin’s choice of song, Margaritaville, was interesting. It was was in the fourth group of songs with three votes by
@Mari63 @Deirdre @Tbushell

1 Like

I didn’t watch live but I started watching after, and by started I mean I only saw Justin playing so far. I watched him, then I mirrored to the tv so Krista could see too. I really liked the way he took a simple 3 chord song and made it a whole lot more!! Now I want to study his performance to learn those embellishments he added :slightly_smiling_face:

I confess I was surprised when he said what he was playing, but then he added something more to the 3 chord strumming, and he started off the show with a really fun song. Something to be learned here for me - sometimes fun is the key!! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Mari @Mari63
I see Justin has just released a lesson on it, I think it is new but might be wrong about that.
Had a quick look at the contents, a lot of which is beyond grade 1 which it is listed under.
Michael

2 Likes

Lol I saw your other post first Michael, and I have the lesson bookmarked :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Michael, I think the grading of lessons is based on potential to play a simplified version. And many of these Gr1 lessons include ways in which one can develop the way you play the song as you develop your skills

3 Likes

I watched the replay, really enjoyed it, too. I don’t understand this:

There was some sort of voting? This is the first streaming video I have watched so I don’t know how things work apparently.

1 Like

Rebecca @LunaRocket

In terms of voting I was referring to this post where I summarised the votes cast.
Michael

1 Like

David @DavidP
You are right of course, a lot of Justin’s Grade 1 and 2 songs give options for more advanced players to work on and this certainly is one of those. Yet to find time to view the lesson only looked at the contents list.
I am sure Justin played last night with a lot of the enhancements.
Michael

1 Like

The voting comment is in reference to a request a short time ago to name our three or four favorite campfire songs to play.

2 Likes

What a great subject @MAT1953,

At the risk of being way too late in adding my two pence worth, most of what I would have picked has already been listed but I would add for me

1. Just Another Moment On Your Own - Redgum (listed as my first AVOYP in Grade1)
  2. Diamatina Drover - Redgum (dabbled but need to revisit this)
  3. The Gunners Dream - Pink Floyd (have ventured into this but needs work. could be a bit morbid for the camfire but I just can’t get past the chord progressions in this :+1:)
1 Like

Craig @CD02
Yes a bit late but nevertheless interesting.
Must confess don’t think I know any of the the songs, certainly never heard of Redgum. As regards Pink Floyd I might know the song when I hear it.
Will try and find time over the next day or so to listen to them.
Michael

1 Like

Redgum are well known in Australia. They had a handful of top 40 hits but the one they are most remembered for these days is ‘I Was Only 19’. An anti-war song which hit number one and is worth a listen.

On a separate point. I think for something to be a campfire song it needs to he well known by those sitting around the campfire. Its less about performing and more about leading a sing-along.

2 Likes

My knowledge of Australian bands is extensive!!! and consist of only one band “Men at Work”
You are right campfire songs need to be sing along even if they have lyric sheets. But if nobody knows the song then I guess it becomes more of a performance.
Michael