What song are you currently learning?

Currently iā€™m learning ā€œBlackbirdā€ , a Beatles song for school, and when i have some spare time, ā€œcome as you areā€ , Nirvana and ā€œainā€™t no sunshineā€, by Bill withers.

1 Like

Iā€™m on a REM period at the moment with Man on the Moon and Everybody Hurts my two focus songs. EH is in good shape with an ā€œoh so close to posting upā€ recording done over the weekend. MotM you canā€™t help but smile when playing!!

I need to go back to that one @Jenndye429 . I did it a couple of months back and found the 7/8 note riff he does surprisingly difficult to fit in seamlessly (and sound right). I think itā€™s easy to underestimate Lennonā€™s skill (and imagination) as a guitarist.

1 Like

You should! I tried it a few months back and decided to put it on the back burner because it was a bit too hard for me at the time. Iā€™ve picked it back up now and itā€™s a challenge for sure, but much easier than it was now that I have a few months more practice under my belt. That riff is definitely tricky to incorporate seamlessly, but itā€™s getting easier the more I do it. And I completely agree re: John Lennon.

Wonderwall using the stuck 3&4 chords

And painfully trying to learn my C and F changes with

You canā€™t always get what you want The Stones

Eric Claptonā€™s ā€œCocaineā€ (the rhythm part with E5, D5, C5 and B5 power chords). Okey, I guess, at least one family member said a couple of hours ago: ā€œHey, are you playing Cocaineā€? LOL.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t go so far as to say Iā€™m learning it, but yesterday I got back to playing after 2 weeks of ā€œbreakā€ due to work with transcribing the riff to Sing a Simple Song by Sly & the Family Stone. Itā€™s still not up to 100% tempo but I can play along with the original if I slow it down to 75% on YouTube.

2 Likes

LOL reminds of the other week when the wife said hey your getting better lol

1 Like

As a beginner (again) Iā€™m working towards Heart of Gold by Neil Young. Itā€™s a little advanced right now using C and G chords that Iā€™m not up to in the lessons yet (I know them from previous attempts to learn) but itā€™s just a song I really like and thatā€™s the whole point of learning to play really! Iā€™m using a simplified 2 finger G to start with and Iā€™m under no illusions about how it sounds currently but itā€™s fun to play and progress is being made :grinning:

3 Likes

Slow down to 75% on youtube has been the most amazing discovery of the past couple of months :laughing:

Yay, as of today Iā€™m working on the Doobieā€™s Black Water. Itā€™s going much easier than I expected. Been wanting to learn this for years.

1 Like

@tony Hereā€™s the best lesson on Black Water Iā€™ve found on the net. Black Water | acoustic - Shutup & Play - Guitar Tutorials

1 Like

Rick

Thank you for mentioning Shutup & Play !! A good few years back I stumbled on a tutorial for She Sells Sanctuary by the Cult but thought it was too hard for me at the time. But I never booked marked it and forgot the sites name and recently been thinking about having another go. You have just joined up the dots !! Thank you. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Glad I could help Toby Iā€™ve never learnt She Sells Sanctuary but what a great song to learn phasing and melodic lead lines.

Just went and watched the lesson it perfect for Justinā€™s lesson on learning a solo on one string.

1 Like

At this point in time iā€™m not learning any particular song as i have been doing a lot of improvisation practice, probably to the detriment of other things I should be practising!! Enjoying this at the moment.

2 Likes

Currently (slowly) working on Breaking the Law by Judas Priest. Struggled massively in the beginning when trying to apply the muted strums (down/up) in between the power chords during the verses.

Decided to separate the two by practicing the chord switches with strumming open strings in between to get used to the pattern, and practice the muted strums to make them feel more natural and relaxed. With the idea of swapping out the open strings with muted strums later on.
This seems to be working quite well so far, though any extra tips or advice is appreciated!

Iā€™m at the point of consolidating grade 2, so this song seems like a good challenge and not too far out of reach either.

1 Like

Thanks, lots of good stuff there. Iā€™m following a lesson I bought on truefire. Itā€™s got a campfire version in standard tuning which Iā€™m using first. Iā€™ve preferred standard tuning but am happy to go to double drop D (or others) for this song. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m currently working on a Led Zeppelin tune, Over the Hills and Far Away. Its a really fun one to play. The intro has a lot of great riffs. This one may take a while.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great Zep tune! :notes::+1:
Might have to try to tackle that one day :grimacing:
Currently working on Enter Sandman as Iā€™ve just done the beginner power chord lessons. Plus a couple of others to work on my fast tremolo picking and down strum palm mutes. Those are Zombie Ritual by Death and Die by the Sword by Slayer.
Intend to post vids of my progress as soon as I pluck up some courage :flushed::joy:

1 Like

It may be a while for me to post a video. Iā€™m with you there.
Some good tunes there.

1 Like