What song made you want to learn to play Guitar

There wasnā€™t one song that made me want to play. But there are a couple of songs from my youth Iā€™ve worked on learning: Blue Oyster Cult - Last Days of May and Jeff Beck - Cause We Ended as Lovers. Love the lead in both those songs.

1 Like

Easy answer:
Money for Nothing & Sultans of Swing by Mark Knopfler & Dire Straits

Once I started learning I think things changedā€¦ I wanted to be able to play like Paul Simon, folky fingerstyle stuff!

Now, after more time at it I like John Mayerā€™s style, hybrid picking with a mastery of the whole neckā€¦

Just keep staying inspired by listening to great guitar!!!

Tod

PS Speaking of great guitar, give 40 Fingers a listenā€¦ too cool what 4 guys, 4 guitars & 40 fingers can do!!!

1 Like

Mine was not a song, but a concert film and a man ā€¦

The film: The Rolling Stones, ā€˜Letā€™s Spend the Night Togetherā€™

The man: the legend that is Keef

2 Likes

Not a songā€¦all I can remember from my teens is me laying in bed with headphones on and a music-casette of an italian songwriter (Lucio Battisti) and me singing and dreaming of being on the beach playing the guitar and singing with my friendsā€¦ it didnā€™t actually went as expected :face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy:

1 Like

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit. Great question, brought me back to a simpler time!

1 Like

Apache by the shadows and my first song I learnt was Dance On also by the shadows over the years learnt to play quite a few of their hits long forgotten now must try to re learn some

1 Like

Wishbone Ash ā€¦ Practically anything I heard by CSNY ā€¦ Alice Cooperā€™s Constricter with Kane Roberts on guitar, and his video from the Trash Tour in 89 ā€¦ where Al Pitrelliā€™s intro solo to Poison absolutely blew my socks off.

There are some, anyway :grin:

1 Like

Trouble by Ray LaMontagne - not just the title song but the whole album. And hereā€™s the funny part: I still canā€™t play it! Only a few open chords, but the dynamics in the strumming are hard to get right as a beginner and I parked it. Maybe itā€™s time to revisit.

2 Likes

Definitely SRV and Skynyrd along with many others but those are the main ones.

Tony.

1 Like

Way back when I was in college, ā€˜Stairway to Heavenā€™ of course :wink: but I never stuck with it.
But when I really decided to make a concerted effort in my mid-50s was when I was listening to ā€˜Wish You were Hereā€™ for the bazillionth time and said to myself ā€œWouldnā€™t it be cool to be able to play music like this instead of just listening to it?ā€ That was the first song I learned, solo and all.

BTW, I still havenā€™t learned Stairway. My first Zeppelin song was ā€˜Babe, Iā€™m Gonna Leave Youā€™.

SRV got me interest in blues also, but I soon abandoned the electric when the acoustic fingerpicking worm drilled into my brain.

1 Like