What song made you want to learn to play Guitar

Hey all… Thought this would be a good discussion.

Is there a specific song that made you want to pick up a Guitar?

For me I believe it was King Crimson - Frame by Frame.
I love the way the 2 guitars sound with different time signatures and that they eventually come back around and sync up. I was never even much of a fan of King Crimson till I heard that song.

So is there one song or maybe two that really pushed you over the edge to say “I want to learn to Play Guitar”

Dave

2 Likes

None. My missus bought me a Fender Affinity for my 40th, Simples.
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

here’s some more inspiration,
Greetings

1 Like

I don’t recall there being a particular song but all of my favourite music is guitar based so I think it was largely inevitable. I remember where I got my first guitar but I don’t recall why I decided to do it, probably just impulsive. That was the first of a number of failed attempts to learn.
Equally I can’t entirely remember why I decided to get an acoustic guitar and try again with Justin around a year ago. I suspect the YouTube algorithm had something to do with it!

1 Like

Wasn’t any particular song. It was to pick up girls :laughing:

10 Likes
3 Likes

Oh Rick. Can you say things like this nowadays? :joy::rofl:
The PC police will be after you.

3 Likes

Hard to name just one, but this song from ahead-of-their-time Canadian 70s alt-rockers Max Webster would be a strong contender.

1 Like

@Dave999 , funny you mention King Crimson.

The albums Larks Tongues In Aspic and Starless And Bible Black were tremendously influential on my musical tastes when I was in my teens.

Also, they were so well recorded, and required such careful listening…I really think they helped me develop a “musical ear” at a young age…long before I could actually play an instrument.

1 Like

I guess it doesn’t work that way when you only sit at home and play metal riffs on an electric guitar.

2 Likes

Just looking - Stereophonics

1 Like

What a disappointment! I never knew there were two drummers. I was so frustrated as a young drummer that I couldn’t come close to this sound that I gave up playing the drums when I was 13. Although I will admit, the song about having to “be a football hero to get along with the beautiful girls”, might have had something to do with it. But happy to be learning the guitar at age 70.

1 Like

Rather like some comments before I didn’t have any particular song in mind that I wanted to play when I started to learn to play.
That sounds strange when I say that now, so why did I want to learn, good question, answers on a post card.
Michael

Couldn’t answer that question but I can say this live version of Beast of burden never fails to make me want to pick up the guitar and play

2 Likes

Doesn’t work that way when you’re 74 years old, either!

1 Like

John knows. . .

It wasn’t any one song in particular but just a general love of guitar-centric music.

Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. I hadn’t been big on music as a kid, mostly just enjoying some of whatever my mum happened to play in the car (Queen, Madness, Dire Straits, Billy Joel, among others) but never really getting into anything. But Nirvana and the whole Grunge scene really struck a chord (har har).

For various reasons I didn’t actually buy a guitar until many, many years later so finally learnt to play the song just a couple of years ago. (I was 11 when Nevermind was released.)

1 Like

Stevie ray vaughn. Lenny

1 Like

Stairway, + Waynes World. Just want to learn that opening riff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @Major14 and Welcome to the community!!!

Stevie Ray Vaughn is one of those Guitarists that keeps me playing. He was such a awesome Guitarist.