What's Up - 2 Non Blondes - My 2nd AVoYP

Well, I graduated myself from Grade 1 yesterday which technically means I’m supposed to have 5 songs memorized and for the most part, I do. Today after my Grade 2 Pinkie Finger Torture Session I started playing this song and dang I thought it sounded pretty good, so I figured I’d make a recording. Of course, none of them sounded as good as that first one I didn’t record, but after several false starts, I declared this one good enough.

I haven’t mastered the fancier strumming pattern yet so this is just 4 down strums per bar, and I used the App as the backing track though it was behind me so I couldn’t even take a peek. I apologize for the weird lighting effects that my old Android phone seemed to create, but my good Android has the App on it so I couldn’t use that to record. One of these days I’ll set up my decent camera and see how that works.

Anyway, here it is.

26 Likes

Well done Rebecca.
Nice steady rhythmic strumming, and good singing.

Cheers Shane

1 Like

Hi Rebecca, congrats on your grade 1 graduation!! :partying_face: Based on this AVOYP it seems you are making great progress :sunglasses: :+1:
Good, consistent strumming and timing throughout, chord changes coming along well and I can see your focusing nicely on missing that low E string on the Am and C chords (maybe even getting in the mute of the low E too?). Nicely done :smiley:
And also singing!! Didn’t expect that for some reason :joy: Great vocals :star_struck: Well done on combining singing and playing at this stage, really added to making this an enjoyable watch/listen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rebecca, well done! I can only repeat what already has been said, good progress. I didn’t expect to hear you singing, I don’t know why, so I was surprised in a very positive way. Solid basis to build up Grade 2! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi Rebecca,
:sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet:
What I (and you) missed in the strumming rhythm you have compensated fantastically with singing this tricky high song :sunglasses:…the nice thing is that I’m almost sure that before the end of grade 2 (and otherwise certainly during grade 3) you’ll do the strumming pattern perfectly and then you have a song in your repertoire that blows people away every campfire or larger event for a lifetime :smiley: :sunglasses:
Greetings…

1 Like

Really well done Rebecca. Singing and playing. Sweet! You are progressing nicely, rhythm was good as well as the chord changes and great vocals too.

1 Like

That sounded pretty good to me Rebecca. Nice even strumming and singing too! pretty good for Grade 1.

1 Like

Well done Rebecca, this is a solid base to work from, sounding good. Thanks for sharing. :smiley:

1 Like

Congratulation on graduating from Grade 1, Rebecca. That was really well done. Nice steady rhythm and good singing too. Some solid foundations to build upon as you progress through Grade 2.

1 Like

Great played and nicely sung Rebecca!! Well done!! :clap:
Enjoyed that a lot!
Keep em coming! Looking forward to the next :grin::+1:

1 Like

Hello Rebecca, what a beautiful voice you have! You’re doing very well with the guitar as well. It’s well timed all the way through and sounds really good! :blush:

1 Like

Great work on both singing and strumming! And really good job on the rallentando at the end - that part always sneaks up on me, but you were spot-on!

1 Like

Rebecca, I couldn’t agree more with the others: Very well done! :clap: :clap:

Nice and steady strumming even while singing a long - this is awesome! :star_struck: Singing while playing is a lesson in Grade 3 - so you are quite in front with doing this, which is great. :smiley:
You have a lovely singing voice, so please keep on doing this (and let us listen from time to time). :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

So, that’s what that thing is called! First time I heard it I’m like, “what is this? did the App break?” Took me a while to remember to slow it down, too.

Thanks everyone. Putting this recording out there wasn’t quite as scary as my first one. Maybe I should re-record Three Little Birds and see if I improved?

Singing and playing together isn’t easy and you did a great job there Rebecca. Grade 2 here you come.

Super vocal on that one. I think you’re more than ready for a more interesting strum pattern. Try to relax your wrist a bit and hit the strings on the way back up. You’ll be surprised with what you can achieve. :grinning:

1 Like

Congratulations on your grade 1 graduation. Strumming is nice and even and your vocal is really good.

1 Like

Not any easy piece I know, well done. :+1::clap:

R.

1 Like

Congrats on finishing up Grade 1, and best wishes as you continue the journey. I agree with the accolades above on your strumming and vocal. I love watching videos of Linda Perry perform this live. She has sort of an unbridled emotional delivery and her expressions are priceless.
Thanks for posting this as it brought back good memories.

1 Like

Hello Rebecca, graduating from grade 1 is a milestone for us beginners. It feels so good :smiley:. Congratulations :clap::+1::partying_face:!!
Very nice rendition of this great song. I think you did really well :smiley:.
Keep on rockin’ :star_struck:!

1 Like

I’m very new to all this, but i think it sounded great, keep it up!

1 Like