What's your next guitar?

Hi Brian, thats a steal at that price. In Australia we pay a premium for everything :grin:.

What David said above is true, the price is significantly higher then what you pay for it in Europe. There is no specific magic to unlock from the guitar, premiums are easier to play, sound better and are made better but in general that is all there is.

I hope you will enjoy it, it sounds very bright. Most of us starts with something affordable and tries to go up the ranks up to certain level when it becomes a whim rather then practicality :slight_smile:.

My Epiphone Les Paul Studio was made in China and I think the quality is great. Just my anecdotal experience with chinese made guitars but Iā€™ve had no issues with it.

1 Like

My next guitar would be my second guitar and as Iā€™ve got an acoustic, Iā€™d love an electric. Unfortunately (for my budget) I kinda fell in love with this one:

HSS as Iā€™d love the versatility of that and just look at the colorā€¦

But well. Long way to go (hopefully itā€™ll be available when I got the money).

4 Likes

Hello, well I have just purchased a second hand Epiphone ( inspired by Gibson) Hummingbird. Once again , al the gear and no idea. The old Yamaha I have has a bulged top ? Bit hard to play. Just adding to the collection.
Cheers John.

7 Likes

I donā€™t know when Iā€™ll get it, but, Iā€™m really contemplating one of those collapsible, travel acoustics.

I just got these two items for free from someone .

7 Likes

well. nice!

I have 2 guitar shopping lists in my brain at any one time. Thereā€™s the fantasy list (what would I get if I had unlimited spending money) and thereā€™s the actual, practical list :laughing:

The fantasy list is full of stuff like Strandberg NX headless and Ormsby 7-string Hype GTR

On the practical list, I have 2 electric guitars and thatā€™s plenty for me to be going on with, so if I was going to buy another guitar I would probably go for an acoustic, just so that I have access to an unplugged option. Something like the Maton Performer that @jkahn mentioned would be a strong contender. I like the idea of the thin body, although ideally I think Iā€™d prefer an acoustic guitar with no electronics. A pure acoustic in that body shape (and at a much lower price point haha) would be at the top of my list, if such a thing exists.

My brother just bought a Cort 5-string bass a few months back. The price was amazingly good for the quality of the bass. Heā€™s very happy with it.

1 Like

That was my initial thought as well. Then I learned about loopers, and what you can do with them. Turns out the electronics donā€™t take away from the acoustic sound at all. Final nail was that almost all of the premium acoustics in stores near me had pickups, so I ended up with an electro-acoustic. Not that Performer though, a dreadnought size with a cutaway.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s neat, but actually the reason I wouldnā€™t want electronics in an acoustic guitar isnā€™t about the sound. Itā€™s just an aesthetic preference I have.

An acoustic guitar has a huge amount of old-timey appeal, they were, and still can be, hand-made with low-tech traditional techniques. The fundamentals of its construction have not changed much for hundreds of years. Thatā€™s awesome. But if you cut a hole in the side and jam in a bunch of plastic and wires ā€¦ I donā€™t know how to explain it man, but that kind of kills the vibe. Thatā€™s just me though. Sometimes I get hung up on weird stuff like that.

1 Like

Plenty of old school guitars still out there if you donā€™t want wires jammed in your holes.

All due respect for peoples opinions but I have never encountered a guitar where I thought ā€œtoo bad there is electronics in this one, it would probably sound a lot better if they didnā€™t put in this pre-ampā€. I did enounter models where I thought a pre-amp was missing though. :smiley:

If you arenā€™t the purist, persuing some ideal out of principle, I donā€™t see why an installed pre-amp is an issue. If you play unplugged, it doesnā€™t bother you. It will always be better integrated than when you decide to go for a soundhole pickup or something afterwards.

All my gigs are amplified and being able to plug in takes away the issue of sitting still in front of a mic to keep your guitar evenly picked up by the microphone. I am in total control of my levels and amounts of reverb on both vocal and guitar.

As @jkahn said, as soon as you want to use loopers or some effects like reverb or delay to liven up that experience, you will miss it if you donā€™t have it.

If you consider a Maton, you wonā€™t be disappointed by the electronics! @jkahn and myself (and many others) can attest for their quality pre-amps :wink:

But really, the cheaper system on my $400 Fender Hellcat gives me control over my sound as well; playing amplified doesnā€™t need to mean ā€œplaying loudā€; au contraire, a bit of compression and time based effect will polish your strumming and fingerpicking experiences!

Still, I play my acoustic unplugged 25% of the time.

So, all of that for wondering why the con side of having a pre-amp installed always seem to weigh so heavy in peoples consideration. The choice is yours of course :smiley:

3 Likes

Gibson has the volume and tone controls tucked inside the sound hole so you canā€™t see them and the out put jack is inside the strap button. Keeps the clean acoustic look.

FWIW, I totally get this. For me, itā€™s a desire to hold something ā€œnaturalā€ and ā€œgenuineā€ in my hands (donā€™t ask me to define those terms!), without ā€œjamming in a bunch of plastic and wiresā€.

Iā€™m not necessary totally averse to having an electro-acoustic, the ability to play with a looper, as @jkahn noted, is a big plus. Still, Iā€™d have to convince myself the pros outweigh the cons.

Good discussion.

2 Likes

There is an undeniable beauty in simplicity.
Many of us are also drawn towards nostalgia.
As a teenager in school I preferred to use a quill and ink pot instead of a fountain pen :roll_eyes:
I know someone who likes to type on an old typewriter. I believe thereā€™s an aspect of this in the fashion of buying vinyl records.
Technology is great :smiley:
Simplicity is cool too :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Probably the same reason I prefer to use only hand tools for woodworking. As you say Brian, simplicity and nostalgia.

Well said!

During my studies at University, I owned no car but had an old, almost historical bicycle from my grandmother (classical ā€œDamenfahrradā€), no gearshift but the best citybike Iā€™ve ever had. Reduced to the essentials, but rock solid. Today they reproduce them as ā€œretroā€ versions. As my father sold it later, without telling me, I was so sad!
Transfered to guitars, I really understand, if someone likes the pureness of fine woods, just some wood and steel, reduced to the aspects of basic quality :star_struck:.

1 Like

Quick question Brian, did you also use a slide ruler or did you go old school with an abacus?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like