What's your next guitar?

Unless Ibanez releases something else I want before I buy it (probably wonā€™t buy it till December 2023 so there is plenty of time for them to do so), Iā€™m going for the Ibanez SML721

2 Likes

@alexisduprey
I am a new Revstar owner, although the Indonesian-made Element series. I had to do a little fretwork dressing the edges and good polishing. I also added some Gotoh locking tuners and swapped in cream pickguard and pickup rings. I am really liking it and will likely keep it around.

My next guitar in the running may be the Schecter Nick Johnston HSS Strat. I like Strats and have owned many Fender variants but really like the more modern appointments of this one: 14" radius neck, jumbo frets, etc. It comes in left-handed version as well!

Nick_Johnston_LH_HSS_AGRN_1543_TILT_

4 Likes

Really nice looking revstar! Even the element series looks well made. I def want an S type at some point.

Iā€™m left handed but play guitar right handed so Iā€™m always interested in those who play lefty. I chose to learn right so that I could avoid trying to mirror everything but sometimes think I should have started lefty.

1 Like

Iā€™m a lefty who learned right-handed in my youth. Then changed over to lefty due to a left hand injury.

I have to say it is really annoying how few lefty guitar choices there are compared to right-handers. Itā€™s like a miracle when there is a lefty available in your preferred specs and color :laughing:

1 Like

I`m lefty through and through. My local ( still 35 miles) guitar shop has 120 guitars in stock and you guessed it only 3 lefties. Going to have to risk online I guess for the next one.
In the spirit of the title my next will be a Tele of some kind.

1 Like

Jeff, is it like learning all over again when you swap over? Or has a lot of it stuck?

1 Like

My next guitar is probably going to be some sort of Gibson Les Paulā€¦ never owned a real LP, and they have such classic tones. Problem is finding the exact model that I want and in the right color/finish. A bit of a jungleā€¦

I thought I had finally decided, after having eyed one for a week or soā€¦ but when I went to order it, it was of course JUST sold and now out of stock. Grrrrā€¦

I do love my Gibson LP, though sans the binding and with the chambered body I think it doesnā€™t have the same feeling as a traditional les paul. Tones are really good though.

Another of the big reasons why I chose to learn right handed on my second try. More guitar options!

1 Like

No it was completely starting over in terms of physical ability, motor control, hand strength, etc. It is still foreign for me to hold a left-handed guitar compared to a right-handed one even after a year of solid practice.

The only advantages I had going into it as a new lefty was a solid, past knowledge of music theory, guitar setup and repair, tone and effects, etc.

I know what I should be playing and how it is supposed to sound but getting my hands to cooperate as a lefty player is another story :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Well as per my post ā€œHappy NBDā€ I got myself a Bass! I got a really good deal on a Cort Artisan B4, itā€™s one of their middle of their range models.
Being only 5ā€™6ā€ tall I thought a short scale (30ā€) would be good but when I tried one it just didnā€™t feel right! So normal size it was (34ā€) it was a Cort (factory) display model and came with a substantial price cut - normal retail around Ā£530; I paid Ā£349!

3 Likes

Very nice!

Whatā€™s going on with those controls! I hear thereā€™s a 3 band EQ and preamp in there?

Cheers,

Keith

1 Like

Currently, Iā€™m rebuilding a Washburn Mercury II electric superstrat I got for $10.
But, Iā€™m also enamored with Schecter guitars. Right now I want this Shecter Sun Valley Super Shredder
The other guitar on my wish list is this Gretsch.

Yes Keith you got that right!
Considering the cost itā€™s pretty high spec, it has Bartolini pickups and Bartolini Mk1 pre amp (made by Markbass), itā€™s got Active or passive option and bass/mid/treble pots. The other two knobs are for volume and pickup blend, all pots/knobs apart from volume have a centre detent. The body is Mahogany with an ash cap and the neck is 5 piece Penge Penge laminated with walnut and it has a roasted maple fingerboard with 24 frets and 40ā€ scale length. The tuners are Hipshot lightweight open gear ones, the nut is bone and the bridge is a heavyweight one with top or through body loading; itā€™s strung through body with Dā€™adario extra light 60/100 wound strings.
I think that about sums it up apart from the setup is excellent and itā€™s a dream to play and has an amazing range of tones - traditional if you use it passive and modern if you use it active.
This is 100% a keeper :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got my eyes on a Kramer Focus VT-211S as my nextā€“and first electric!ā€“guitar. Iā€™d love to get a vintage from the '80s, or one of the more expensive contemporary models, but the pricing of both are cost-prohibitive for me in all ways. (I still canā€™t believe that the old Kramers are like '80s muscle cars for meā€¦cheap as shit for the longest time while Iā€™m not looking for them, then collectors start buying them and boom! no way for me to get them when I am. :unamused: When I have some more moneyā€¦)

But, yeah. Itā€™s cheap, apparently has dubious tuning machines, but some reviews Iā€™ve seen say itā€™s solid as a beginnerā€™s choice given the price. And it looks exactly like what was haunting my mind as I was looking at other brands trying to find what was calling to me. So, yeah. Havenā€™t tried one out yet, but Iā€™m excited to once Iā€™ve saved up the money to check them out in person. (And it just makes way too much sense for me to be in love with an '80s guitar brand despite being a '92 babyā€¦go figure.)

I actually have a Squier Jazz Bass on layaway at a local pawn shop. Iā€™ve mostly paid for it now. The funny part is that I did this on a lark, and now Iā€™m not sure I want it. :rofl: I still want a bass, but Iā€™ve decided Iā€™d prefer a Stingray.

So, my current plan is to complete the purchase, clean it up (itā€™s covered in horrible stickers), and re-sell it.

2 Likes

There are so many nice guitars available. Really like Martin D-28 and Taylor 912ce. Would like also to have a 12 string. Its difficult!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve narrowed it down ti a

resonator
or
12 string
or
partscaster self build

or mebe a prs something

I think

1 Like

So I managed to get myself that LP after all. Really enjoying it so far!!

9 Likes

Gorgeous LP Kasper, hope to see it sing in your next avoyp!

1 Like

Nice looking guitar Kasper. Still kickinā€™ myself for selling my 1979 LP.

1 Like