What's your next guitar?

That is lovely Kasper. Happy NGD, enjoy.

1 Like

Oh man, I went to a family birthday party and one of my uncles had just picked up a Taylor Mini and brought it to show off to one of the cousins who plays in a band. I got to hold it for just a few minutes and it felt so flippin comfortable. Now I’m getting little evil thoughts that I need to go out and get a 3/4 because it’s probably much better for my petite frame. But having said that, I want to be able to play a full size guitar just like everyone else.

1 Like

Fender Vintage II 1951
Found this at a local Pawn shop. Straight out of the custom shop in California. Paid a fraction of the price of a new one. Had no intention of buying a guitar went in looking for a hard case. Pawn shops are like Vegas, usually the house wins but every once in a while you can score. I’m a beginner and prefer acoustic, but I find the electric easier to learn and practice certain chords (full barre F :)). I convinced myself I could never play the F chord but I can on the electric, now I find I can hit it on my acoustic guitar as well.

8 Likes

Ooooh Roch @sticktothemuse that is gorgeous and what a find in a pawn shop!!!

That is a good find! enjoy your new instrument. :grinning: :grinning:

Notter, this guitar is truly special to me. It is exactly what I was looking for, all original 1951 specifications, solid maple neck, single coil pick ups, 3 brass barrel bridge. What made me go the store that day? I don’t frequest pawn shps and it had been there less than 24 hours. Who owned this guitar? Fender just started producing the Vintage II series in October 2022 and no stores have them. Whoever sold it did not know what it was, a digruntled spouse? did the owner pass away and the estate was liquidating? My son and grand daughter play guitar it will be well taken care of and passed on and remain in the family for generations. I wish I could tell the owner the guitar found a good home.

Surely you need both then. :wink:

1 Like

Nice! Happy NGD, Roch. Enjoy playing.

Need buying advice. I am currently playing a 10 year old Yamaha FG700 and plan to reward myself for completing grade 2 in a month or so. Any recommendations on a decent upgrade? I find the FG830s too bright and would like something that will go well with a male singing voice. I live in a high humidity area so need something that’s well built for when the guitar isn’t in storage. I like the idea of having easy access to it.

1 Like

I watched this and now I think I might have to build a walnut based telecaster/partscaster

1 Like

I put a Squier Jazz Bass on a three-month layaway at a local pawn shop. I have it paid off now, and just need to take the time to go pick it up. it’s covered in decals of serial killers. (I posted it to some bass and guitar forums on Reddit, where it got a lot of hilarious discussion. I’ve considered posting the photos here as well, but decided not to.) Any suggestions on what to use to remove decals with minimal damage to the paint? :rofl:

My latest purchase was a new acoustic:

It’s an Eastman e1OM which is a smaller body guitar compared to my previous Epiphone and has a very comfy neck. My playtime on acoustic has at least doubled since I have this guitar.

I gave my old guitar to my guitar teacher who surprised one of his other students with it and now she has finally a guitar on her own, so the Epiphone got a good new home.

11 Likes

Hi Todd, you might try ‘Know Your Gear’ YouTube. I seem to remember he did mention it once, he has lots and lots of videos. :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve always used a hairdryer, apply heat and gently peel away sticker. Keep heat on the exposed edge while pulling sticker. The heat softens the glue.

1 Like

Hi Alexis. =)

After experimenting with so many acoustic guitars, would say the next guitar I want to get got to be a custom model (exotic wood?) lol. The whole point is the ease of play (I have to put a lot of muscle and mental effort to play guitars with lower quality) and in turns better performance. I found the best guitars would always allow you to express yourself at ease

Would try to look for a good deal next few years, and hopefully I am at UK at that point. :smile: I currently own a grand auditorium, so size wise I would prefer a modified dreadnaught, and far future a jumbo for the reminiscence.

1 Like

It’s one of those where if you ask me every day for the next week, I’ll give you 7 different answers.

The ones that keep coming up would be, something semi-hollow, something with P90s (could be a semi-hollow with P90s) but then my love of Metallica also means that I want something V-shaped and something Explorer shaped. There’s a lot of practice needed before I’m even close to being able to justify any of the above and maybe as I practice it will become clear which I should buy first.

@DavidP Sorry I’ve not through the whole thread yet but is a PRS not coil tapped to get the single coil sound?

I vowed not to buy any more gear but I’ve put a replacement American Fender Strat neck in my basket on Fender.com. Luckily it’s out of stock. I’m a bit wary cos it needs the nut cutting.

They are made custom to order so the waiting would be long, but once every few months I put it in my basked and almost bite the bullet.

I will probably put in an order by the end of the year along with a few other Harley Benton guitars (I need a few guitars on the lower end because I started playing a lot in alternative tunings and it especially hard for me, because most of my guitars have Floyd Rose tremolo and it’s just a mess setting them up).

1 Like

@rorystrat

Peter, you are correct, my PRS does have the option of a coil split. But I think there is still a difference between a SC and an HB, plus the strat would have the 3 SC PUPs. The tele style would also be quite different. But I am way way off being able to play well enough and shape tone to be able to get value from multiple electric guitar options.

1 Like