When to move on from Module 1?

Excellent advice to move on and learn something different if you are becoming bored. Nothing kills motivation faster than grinding away at something that isn’t providing enjoyment. Need to mix it up!

I actually learned the E Major chord before A, as I originally started with Andyguitar. I’ve been doing the 1 minute exercises and strumming to the 1 using 3 chords:
E to A
A to D
E to D

I practiced strumming to Buffalo Springfield ‘For What It’s Worth’, and putting your learning into practice is a lot harder, than simply strumming.

I’d really like to learn Nirvana’s ‘About a Girl’, as the intro is just two chords. However, E Minor and G. The latter is somewhat tricky, let alone strumming (down and up). Also, the song is non-Standard tuning (D flat I think?), which is a pain to keep re-tuning.

I’ll have a look at the Beginner songbook to see if anything grabs my interest (no Oasis! I point-blank refuse to sully my guitar).

Cheers!

2 Likes

@Rossco01 Really good advice, Jason, so do I, I first thought, everything should be quite perfect before moving on, but realised soon, that progress is also a permanent ongoing consolidation process, especially with the songs. So, like you, I divided my practice routine into overlapping areas.

2 Likes

I believe Manos98 is correct. There is a typo possibly. I do not think it took Justin 5-6 weeks to finish a single Module. I believe he spent 4-5 days doing the routine (once per day). He then graded himself based on his goals (30 chord changes per minute etc.). He then moved on to the next Module. I believe it took 5-7 weeks to finish all of grade 1. Yes, I understand everyone will learn at their own pace, which is wonderful. Just wanted to clarify that this might still be a typo because 5-6 weeks per module sounds really odd.

1 Like

@Manos98 @Rkr87 @Rexplosive @Dave911 @crzyhorse71
I have edited the text to read:

Nitsuj spent 4 practice sessions on Module 1 and took around 5 to 6 weeks to go through Grade 1. Check him out to help you decide when he felt ready to move on.

I hope that is clearer.
Cheers :slight_smile:
| Richard_close2u | JustinGuitar Moderator, Guide & Approved Teacher

2 Likes

Hello. New guy here. Salut to all.
I am enjoying this till now. All pretty easy to follow up and not boring at all :smiley::+1:
Actually I’m pretty late to this course stuff, being 3months now since I got my own guitar never played before.
Just to add to the topic every time I stress out about a new practice topic I just relax doing finger gyms and exercises with scales and arpegios, only the ones that sound good jajaja. Then I got back to real practice.

2 Likes

When justin says the criteria to move on is 30 changes a minute, is that 30 perfectly clean changes? or if they are a little sloppy, but you hit 30, you still move on?

2 Likes

I would say yes as long as you keep practicing them. Mine were horrid in the beginning and now a little over 4 months in I’m well over 40 though a few are still sloppy.

Welcome to the Community!

2 Likes

59 on 60 BPM!
I never anticipated this.
Off too Module 2?? :smiley:

6 Likes

Nice Helen! I’d say go for it, you’ll be continuing to consolidate mod 1 as you go through mod 2 and beyond.

Welcome to the Community too by the way, you’ll find terrific support here on your journey as and when you need it. Feel free to drop an introduction post here, it’s always good to read stories of how you’ve got started and how you’re getting along. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you Notter !
Happy to be here!
You are right I should introduce myself and I just did!

x

3 Likes

The One Minute Changes is about moving faster and the focus is not on perfect clean changes. A little sloppy has no fixed definition but they do not need to be perfect.

Oh heck yeah, move on, and just keep practicing everything you learn, the things you find harder to do more than the ones that come easier, of course.

And Welcome!

1 Like

Spent almost 6 months on module 12…

Holy Diver. Come as you are. Paranoid. Others…
Enjoying so much and trying to get “Enter Sandman” a bit better and trying to be able to get an F blind most of the time…

2 Likes