Where does your username come from?

Les (or less) Paul more Ray (me)

5 Likes

ā€œMagicā€ was a nickname given to me by some of my colleagues in the Engineering department of one of my first jobs.

It was a well-funded start-up in the early 1990s just as the Internet and Web technologies were starting to appear.

Unlike most of my colleagues, I was pretty hands-on with technology. During my uni years and before I used to do a fair bit of coding and messing with online services of the time (Teletext, Prestel, CompuServe, BBSs). I was also quite a whiz with spreadsheets and databases (I started learning spreadsheets in the early 1980s).

So, when trying to solve issues which involved IT, I would often propose and build a solution that none of the others had thought of, or had realised was an option.

Often these were relatively simple things like using awk to simplify complex log files for analysis, or putting a simple dynamic web page view of the port allocation state of one of the network devices for the Sales support team.

But this earned me the nickname Magic. And when we started using IRC chat for team communication between different buildings, that got re-spelled to ā€œMajikā€ because ā€œMagicā€ had already been used.

And Iā€™ve kind of used it ever since.

Cheers,

Keith

12 Likes

Mine came from the opening chapter of a book. It humorously shows off how nothing is ever as easy at it should be. If you are more curious, Amazon has a ā€œlook insideā€ section that is the first chapter of the book and shows what I mean. Read through about page three and youā€™ll get the idea.
The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

7 Likes

Oh my, I canā€™t actually recall the full history of Libitina apart from itā€™s quite old. These days I just use the Libitina part. No laughing now. It should be Oi_mush_LIbitina.

The oimush now long extinct from an online game clan where everyone had oimush_xxxxxxx.

R.

7 Likes

ā€¦ and nothing to tell as well? Hey, come on, I waited for the big story behind :shushing_face: :rofl:. Now Iā€™m a bit disappointed!

7 Likes

Hehe, I think youā€™ll struggle to find a community member who has ā€˜oversharedā€™ more than me, Andrea :rofl:
My home movie thread alone would keep Mr. Freud busy for a lifetime :wink:

8 Likes

Nowt to hide in mine, first name and surname initial - who needs to be completely anonymous? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
There again I have been known to tell a falsehood :rofl:

7 Likes

And all this time I was thinking it was something to do with woowing your wife with a Carpenters song.

Mine is a character from the Terry Pratchett, Discworld books. He is part of the night watch.

11 Likes

My guitar is a Burns.
Rhythm is first and foremost what music is all about.
So I put the two together to remind myself to learn to play rhythm rather than just chasing the fancy lead stuff.
BurnsRhythm

Burns flagship guitar model is the Burns Dream. Fancy looking thing!
All the reviews are good so Iā€™ll hunt one down someday and at least give it a try. Ā£1500 ā€¦ā€¦eeek!

ā€œBurnsRhythm living his dream playing in a band with a Burns Dream guitarā€

ā€¦ā€¦kinda catchy! :guitar:

12 Likes

Hi, hi, Now Iā€˜ve got, what I wanted :joy: :joy: :joy: . The home story againā€¦.
Say hello to Mr. Freud! :wink:

1 Like

After trying my own first name ā€¦Rogierā€¦4 times (on the old forum) with one or more letters of my last name, which all turned out to be occupied ā€¦having no patience and thinking that I would only post not more than once a month :roll_eyes: :grin: to thank/ask so then the English variant I try and just to make it clear that I came from Holland ā€¦sounds easy. I did not know then that there many people outside the Netherlands have Holland as their surname, so that apparently does say nothingā€¦Even Justin thought I came from France, I then said ā€œOoo no the horror, only madmen`s came from Franceā€ ā€¦ which is of course a stupid joke :see_no_evil: and certainly if you donā€™t hang out on the forum regularly :blush:

enumerationā€¦ tried own nameā€¦occupiedā€¦no patienceā€¦ready :smiley:

Greetings

12 Likes

Hi Andrea
Talking here to Brian like that but not sharing your splittend mind story Helen :thinking:ā€¦ I told your explanation to my wife a wile ago and she liked it a lot :joy:
Greetings

2 Likes

Thanks Rogier @roger_holland for pointing out what I have been thinking :hugs:. @Helen0609 Andrea, I always wondered what the backstory of your username was. (Sorry if youā€™ve already shared it somewhere and I missed it :see_no_evil:.)

And thanks Tod @CATMAN62 for this interesting thread. The backstories are amazing :star_struck:.

My own is not very interesting. Nicole is obviously my first name, and KKB is a hint to the place Iā€™m living at :grin:. Iā€™m sorry for not being able to offer a more fancy story :innocent:.

5 Likes

Hi Rogier, will follow. Quite busy today, but maybe later today!. Oh, I see Nicole posted tooā€¦. Be patient! Real life took over! :joy:

2 Likes
5 Likes

If it is being played by me then it is Malsā€™ muzic, but as I enjoy using Z, it is Malz. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Oh no, donā€™t go there ā€¦

9 Likes

nhh2oskr ā€“ Itā€™s a combination of where I live and (non-guitar) hobbies

nh - New Hampshire, state where I live in USA
h2o ā€“ water
skr ā€“ skier (both liquid and frozen)

7 Likes

Instead, go from Seattle to Vancouverā€¦ we drove from the US to Canada years ago and directly on the border thereā€™s a large park with testimonials and monuments dedicated to the friendship between our countriesā€¦ it was truly beautiful & felt historic because of the decades of shared goals & goodwill! No 2 countries are going to agree on everythingā€¦ but thereā€™s so many things to admire about our Northern neighbor!!!
:maple_leaf: Hereā€™s to Canada :maple_leaf: !!!

Tod

3 Likes

20+ years ago, the 2year old daughter of two of my closest friends could not pronounce my first name (Greg). Goog came out and for many people it has stuck all this time.

7 Likes