Where does your username come from?

Well, it was this one or BuzzSolo which Iā€™ve had about the same amount of time (though my sisters nicknamed me Buzz back in 1969). The Solo came when I got married.

But I am somewhat of a rocket scientist, not a physicist but a mechanical engineer who worked in aerospace back in the 80s and 90s. I was in the USAF and worked on Reaganā€™s Star Wars program, actually called the Space Defense Initiative, then when I became a civilian again, I worked on the Space Exploration Initiative, as well as a bit with the space shuttle.

Now most people who actually know me probably figure I named myself after my dogs Rocket and Luna, but no, my dogs are named after spacey things. My next dog though I called Ziggy Stardust because, Apollo just didnā€™t fit him and as for my behemoth Kaylee, sheā€™s named after Kaywinnet Lee Fry from the TV show Firefly. All space related even if it was only in a fictional sense.

And now yā€™all probably know way more about me than you need. :grin:

BUT, if you need an Operations Plan for a lunar base any time soon, Iā€™m your gal!

17 Likes

So, your answer brings to mind another questionā€¦ is Tony your actual given name or is it short for something else?
I did know a kid when I was in school (eons ago) who we used to tease about his nameā€¦ as I remember it was Sigfried Wilson Oberstein & we always called him Siggy Frankenstein! Then a bunch of people thought his name was Ziggy & it kinda stuck. So, years later, I run into him and he is using Ziggy as his name, funny ā€˜ol world isnā€™t it? :laughing:

Tod

2 Likes

I like your story, Rebecca!
When my wife was little, her favorite aunt called her Buzz & nobody knew why. They presumed that it was because she Buzzed around like a bee :honeybee:!
No plans for a Lunar Base anytime soon, but Iā€™ll put you on speed dial just in case!!! :joy:

Tod

3 Likes

Iā€™m Tony. Not Anthony. Not Antonio. Just Tony. The real thing. Not an imposter like all the Anthonys out there. :smiley:

My brother Seigfried hated his name. And he got the nickname of Zeke which apparently he hated even more. Once he was 50 he changed his name. Yippee!

Iā€™m fortunate in that I like my name. If you donā€™t like your name, change it, after all, itā€™s just a name.

I like to joke that Tony verses Anthony is like Coca-cola and Pepsi-cola. Oneā€™s the real thing and one wants to be. Sorta like Canadians verses Americans or Kiwis verses Aussies.

6 Likes

OOOOhhhh my favourite Firefly character <3

Seriously; 80ā€™s and 90ā€™s space programs ā€¦ that was the stuff of my dreams
I was born in 1982 and I thought by 2000 we would all drive electric cars and by 2020 there would be a lunar base etc. I geeked on the Space Shuttle and the mystique around Buran, its Russian copycat sister. Wild!

7 Likes

I started out as close2u in the old JustinGuitar Forum when I joined, many years ago. I still worked in schools so wanted to maintain some online anonymity. My surname, used as my formal teaching name of course, is Coles. My imagination gave me a scenario in which some cheeky teenager was calling me by a disrespectful nickname, to which my strict teacherā€™s reply was, ā€œItā€™s Mr Coles to youā€, i made an anagram of Coles and it morphed to become ā€˜cliose to youā€™ which took me (still in my imagination) out of the classroom and to a much nicer place. I altered the words ā€˜to youā€™ into the shortened 2u as a little homage to Sinead Oā€™Connor. My username of close2u was born. When we moved from the old Forum to the new Community, i was much more relaxed about using my real name so I extended my username to Richard_close2u.

17 Likes

Thatā€™s a great story! Did you ever see pics of the Russian Buran on top of an Antonov super jet? Itā€™s similar to the US Space Shuttle on top of a Boeing 747ā€¦ I remember the lunar landings being shown on tv in our classrooms in the 60sā€¦ we all dreamed of being Neil Armstrong back then!!!

Tod

3 Likes

Ha! I guess our son Anthony is one of those imposters!!! He uses Tony or just his last name.
Both my wife and I dislike our given namesā€¦ weā€™ve thought about changing them before but it seems like it would just cause a lot of confusion for all of the people who know us! If we ever move away thoughā€¦ā€¦ :thinking:

Just call me Mitch!!! Not Mitchell, just Mitch!!!

Tod

3 Likes

If your son Anthony reads this, tell him I rarely take myself seriously. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Donā€™t worryā€¦ he wonā€™t!!!

Tod

2 Likes

Its really nothing at all to do with my age! Around the turn of the century I was approaching 40 and recently divorced from my first ex-wife. I set up a dedicated email address to communicate with my children, so they would see they were getting email from their old man, and since someone already had ā€œtheoldmanā€ and ā€œtheoldman1ā€ etc. 66 was the first number I tried that someone hadnā€™t already registered

7 Likes

In German I think you would be Toni, like Toni Kroos the footballer. :grinning:

3 Likes

My is one of two things - Adi is a popular nickname for Adrian in my home country and I was called that way from early years by my uncle. Mrok is a short from my 11 characters long surname and means Darkness, and of course I am a big fan of Batman :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: hence the nickname!

10 Likes

Les (or less) Paul more Ray (me)

5 Likes

ā€œMagicā€ was a nickname given to me by some of my colleagues in the Engineering department of one of my first jobs.

It was a well-funded start-up in the early 1990s just as the Internet and Web technologies were starting to appear.

Unlike most of my colleagues, I was pretty hands-on with technology. During my uni years and before I used to do a fair bit of coding and messing with online services of the time (Teletext, Prestel, CompuServe, BBSs). I was also quite a whiz with spreadsheets and databases (I started learning spreadsheets in the early 1980s).

So, when trying to solve issues which involved IT, I would often propose and build a solution that none of the others had thought of, or had realised was an option.

Often these were relatively simple things like using awk to simplify complex log files for analysis, or putting a simple dynamic web page view of the port allocation state of one of the network devices for the Sales support team.

But this earned me the nickname Magic. And when we started using IRC chat for team communication between different buildings, that got re-spelled to ā€œMajikā€ because ā€œMagicā€ had already been used.

And Iā€™ve kind of used it ever since.

Cheers,

Keith

12 Likes

Mine came from the opening chapter of a book. It humorously shows off how nothing is ever as easy at it should be. If you are more curious, Amazon has a ā€œlook insideā€ section that is the first chapter of the book and shows what I mean. Read through about page three and youā€™ll get the idea.
The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw

7 Likes

Oh my, I canā€™t actually recall the full history of Libitina apart from itā€™s quite old. These days I just use the Libitina part. No laughing now. It should be Oi_mush_LIbitina.

The oimush now long extinct from an online game clan where everyone had oimush_xxxxxxx.

R.

7 Likes

ā€¦ and nothing to tell as well? Hey, come on, I waited for the big story behind :shushing_face: :rofl:. Now Iā€™m a bit disappointed!

7 Likes

Hehe, I think youā€™ll struggle to find a community member who has ā€˜oversharedā€™ more than me, Andrea :rofl:
My home movie thread alone would keep Mr. Freud busy for a lifetime :wink:

8 Likes

Nowt to hide in mine, first name and surname initial - who needs to be completely anonymous? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
There again I have been known to tell a falsehood :rofl:

7 Likes