While My Guitar Gently Sustains

I did this to my old strat (well, had someone competent do it for me!)

It is amazing! Just working on Hackettā€™s Firth of Fifth solo now. Will post in AVOYP when itā€™s done.

16 Likes

Wow, that looks like a serious piece of kit, Phil :open_mouth:
If itā€™s ā€˜infinite sustainā€™, how do you control it when you want it to stop? Selector switch? Volume pedal? :thinking:

1 Like

Love that album, look forward to hearing the solo Phil. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Brian, It only rings out while youā€™re fretting the note - as soon as you move off, it stops. Itā€™s not like a sampler that bangs out the note constantly. Back in the day, there was a device called the Gizmotron which had a set of rotating wheels at the bridge that actually sort of bowed the notes. 10cc were famous for being early adopters of it. This is a more sophisticated version of that which excites the string with an electromagnet, rather than a wheel which wears out! Imagine trying to get a spare wheel for your Gizmotron these days.

Cool piece of kit Phil. Look forward to hearing it in action. :+1:

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

Wow. I just went down a bit of a rabbit hole. Lots of great videos out there demonstrating this thing. Hereā€™s one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT3BUM-19fk

Canā€™t wait to see what you do with it.

Well, Iā€™m hoping that by using it, Iā€™ll grow hair like Olaā€™s!

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

I thought, "what in the humbuckers is a ā€˜Sustaniacā€™? Off to edumicate meā€™self.

1 Like

There used to be (maybe still is) a device called an ebow, which was basically the same but hand held - I used to have one, theyā€™re great fun!
Yeah Steve Hackett, the GOAT of infinite sustain :laughing:
Edit: you can still get them - a demo!

cant wait to hear.:slight_smile:

R

1 Like

Why do you do this to me? :wink:
Been GASā€™ing for a sustainiac guitar for a couple of months, but was almost curedā€¦

Congrats! Canā€™t wait to hear it!

1 Like

@DarrellW I still have an e-bow. I had a go at Pink Floydā€™s Celestial Voices with it last year.

The first couple of choruses use the e-bow. When Gilmour plays it he gets the sustain by bowing the notes with a steel bar (like they use in pedal steel guitars) - looked really cool in the Pompeii video.

@Kasper It wasnā€™t cheap - I could have got a decent guitar for the cost of the unit + installation! Iā€™m happy I did it though - itā€™s on the guitar I bought when I started on this path in 2019.

Sure youā€™ll be doing some seriously good stuff with this Phil, canā€™t wait!!

1 Like