Why are you studying theory?

This is while I’m on holiday too would you believe! :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Noooooooo… :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: Go do some nice stuff with your lady rapidly…even busier times are coming …
:guitar: :parasol_on_ground: :sun_with_face: :tropical_drink:

Greetings

1 Like

I’m still going through it. I stopped at the triad paper exercise that I need to find time to finish so I can move on with PMT.

1 Like

Wow the man has the power of Yoda.
Still mid level 5 Mr C so will be dropping by on the 19th. Many thanks for that sterling work of tagging all posters. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Rogier, we’re in the Yorkshire Dales not the Mediterranean - so no sun, sangria and sandals.
Just cold grey skies and rain, cups of tea and stout shoes. Plus, lazy mornings taking it slow with my guitar buddies is leisure and pleasure too!

1 Like

Music theory is fun?
Not kidding. Music theory is fun.

4 Likes

I feel like I am rote memorizing shapes and scales, and can sense there is a pattern or understanding I’m not getting yet. I’m hoping that understanding theory will unlock the understanding so I can see the big picture. Right now it’s working with the different forms of the pentatonic scale. Hoping to get better at jamming and soloing

4 Likes

I have studied theory before but I’ve never been able to apply it. This is one of the reasons you mentioned for people “falling off” in your video around the 3:34 mark. As I go along the path with my “new to me” guitar instructor, I’m hoping some dots will be connected and I can use theory in a practical application way.

4 Likes

Sadly my one year subscription ran out not long ago. Need to save up for the lifetime subscription though, as it is something that I realize, I will use rest of my guitar journey/life.

I don’t want to compose using theory, but compose and improvise using my ear. However, I use the theory in so many other ways. Communicating ideas and share things with others will be nearly impossible if not knowing theory, at least to a certain degree.

I recently had an experience with that, being together with other musicians and one while playing the piano says: “Give me a D7 followed by an A7” and the dude who had played guitar for 10 years, was just one big question mark. Me as a beginner had to show him. That for me, made me so happy for have taken the effort to learn theory and beside the lessons from Justin, @Richard_close2u have been such a huge help for me, to understand the basics. Thnx a lot. Appreciate it! :pray:

I will be back soon. Cheers :heart: :pray:

3 Likes

Having followed your beginner guitar courses I felt this would be a welcome addition. I do wish to understand the guitar at a deeper level which I hope to gain from following this course

1 Like

I always thought I don’t need theory, boy was I wrong. I don’t know why but it helps me a lot when you know why a song is played like that. The lifetime subscription is a good investment.

1 Like

Hi! I’m starting this course for the second time. Being an old fart I had a couple of major surgeries and recovery wasn’t always easy , and it resulted in putting down the guitars for awhile. I’m feeling a whole lot better now and need to get back to it. Thanks for this course. It’s interesting and a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Similar to what you said. To be more confident in my musical skills and to be able to play well with others and a band and navigate playing more easily in the long run.

I started music as a new hobby last year (2023) replacing my 30 year old hobby of pc gaming (i am 37). My old hobby was getting boring. I first started with singing but after getting the basics down i recognised that only singing to instrumental tracks doesnt fell satishfieing so i considered to getting into an instrument as well. I was first thinking about getting a piano/keyboard to assist my singing but, as i am mainly intrested in Rock and Metal singing because thats the main music i like, i decided to get into electric guitar. Honestly its now more fun than singing :D. Learning music is like learning a foreign language for me, playing or singing is speaking that language but being able to write it down to come back and revisit my notes, as well as sharing it if i´m getting good, thats the reason for me getting into the theory part.