Why are you studying theory?

I’m learning this so that things make more sense - like, I just discovered that the lowest note of every chord i know is the note the chord is named for, and that it will appear at least twice in that chord (3 times if the chord uses all 6 strings). This kind of stuff is a dopamine hit in itself, I like finding patterns and understanding.
Whatever music theory I learned before I forgot because I didn’t use it (it wasn’t connected to playing an instrument).
Big dream goal would be able to improvise one day, but I am just starting with guitar and not particularly gifted and 38 yo so this may never happen…

1 Like

I took a high school music theory course (40+ years ago). Being a gigging drummer for many years since, I wanted to learn guitar to more actively contribute to songwriting with my fellow band mates. I’m a drummer at heart, and I know I’ll never be an axe wielding guitar monster, I’m just hoping this course will help me make sense of how notes are related and why certain combinations work and sound better than others.

2 Likes

i want to play my favorite Jimmy Page songs and the music theory will help me become more independent which means I can figure out situations and songs.

1 Like

I’ve been a singer/songwriter for a long time in addition to making beats using FL Studio for fun. I’ve always felt like the songs I create are sort of hit or miss, and from other beats I’ve listened to, I can definitely tell there’s a bit more of a formula than what I understand in terms of how harmonies/melodies and even rhythms with respect to different instrumentation like the bass + drums + guitar or piano all come together, and ultimately I’d like to know how to really optimize my understanding of that so that I can improve my ability to create backing instrumentation

I’ve dabbled in some piano in the past, but i’ve always struggled with reading dot notation. Even when it’s explained, I have a hard time really “reading” it in the traditional sense. One thing I like about guitar is that tab notation is much more intuitive imo

I’d love to see more videos where you more slowly break down how to make full compositions like these:

1 Like

I want to be better at improvising and I want to learn how to play jazz music and I think this is a good place to start.

1 Like

Im Dennis. Im 54 and started playing the guitar at 17. Actually learned all my caged shape, triad within, pent scales and maj minor scales inside each chord shape etc…After learning all this i just couldnt figure out how to apply this k owledge to my playing. I just dont “get it” hoping this course will finally make me understand how to apply music theory into my playing.

2 Likes

Hi Dennis, welcome to the community! Wow, coming here with such a background…you’re so fortunate. Take your time and do all the lessons (you’ll get through many quite quickly, I’m sure!). I bet “ah ha!” becomes your most frequently uttered phrase as you do this. Justin has a purpose in presenting info as he does, so do be patient and follow the plot. :smiling_face: