Why are you studying theory?

I am songwriter and I’ve observed that without music theory I was kinda stuck with some of my melodies or took longer to write a song than people who know about music theory. I feel like knowing more about music theory will definitely help me be able to come up with more interesting chord progressions and more importantly know more about what i am doing (rather than just choosing chords randomly) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What would you most like to get out of this course:
I want to just understand the basics of music. What is a scale, why do certain chords go together, etc. I’ve been playing for 20+ years, but I’ve only memorized chords, riffs, songs, etc. I don’t know the structure of what I’m playing or why they fit.

If you started to learn music theory, why did you stop:
Never started music theory before.

What is my BHAG:
An analogy would be that I’ve been a storyteller, but it’s only because I’ve memorized those stories from someone else, I’m actually illiterate. I want to be able to piece letters into words and words into paragraphs. Same with music theory. I want to understand scales, chord groupings, etc. The added bonus would be to take all the knowledge and improvise on a song.

3 Likes

One of the main reasons I am here because I have always been fascinated with music and grew up during the best music ever Rock and Roll. But what has always blown my mind is that there is only 12 notes and the abundance of music that has been created over the years with the same 12 notes is simply amazing. Anyways I remember telling my wife my plan to learn guitar very late in life but I wanted to understand what I was doing it took me six years to find Justin and commit to one set of guitar instructions rather than bits and pieces from several internet sources as well as multiple one on one instruction. I think this particular course is going to bring me a long way on my guitar journey and make it much more enlightening. The big picture for me is to play with others but also to understand why they are playing those notes in that area of the fretboard. Thanks for your time Ryan23

3 Likes

Why to study theory?

Personally, I just have an urge to understand what I am doing, else it’s much less fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, the process of learning songs becomes much faster/easier if, to a certain extent, you get what is going on.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I love this presentation especially the bit about being really slow. My problem though is that my fingers are short. I am relatively short but have a normal sized hand. Still, I cannot spread my fingers over 4 frets. Should move my fingers so the I can play the notes proper work on stretching my finger which I don’t have much faith in? It would seem if I can play the notes moving my fingers and can’t play them otherwise, the answer is obvious. BTW, I have had two teachers and neither taught me to play scales like this. We started on the scale root note and went up and down the open strings. It is easy for me to believe Justin but I do wonder why.

Hi @reblark

You can help towards that by diligent practice and work. Place this in your practice routine daily.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :smiley:
| Richard_close2u | Community Moderator, Official Guide, JustinGuitar Approved Teacher

It’s essential to understand the three unwritten rules of guitar theory
and most importantly 3.
:wink:

1 Like

Why am I studying theory? I have played as a beginner on and off for years. I’m tired of just mimicking others to learn a song. I want to understand the guitar more, the why’s and how’s. Long term goal would be able to watch and listen to another and join in with riffs or melodies. Playing the blues is very appealing to me.

1 Like

Why I am committing to studying music theory?

Hello Friends,

I am a semi-retired, 68 year old, married, father of two beautiful, bright and talented daughters; a grandpa of four and an avid fly fisherman. I have never played guitar but always thought that I could, and, would like to do so. I purchased Justin’s app and I have been learning to play my guitar with the help of Justin’s video’s, practice sessions and extensive recommended song list for about 4 months. Currently, I am working on Grade 2, Module 10. When I play in front of my family members, they tell me that they think my playing sounds really good. That’s certainly debatable, but, it’s very encouraging and I’m actually feeling really good about it.

I decided to commit to the Music Theory course upon Justin’s suggestion. I would like to be able to see more clearly in my head how to connect the dots between the notes on the fretboard and the theory, which should hopefully help me to become a better and more musically intelligent player. I can’t see how it would hurt. I’m finding the course very interesting and super helpful and so far, not difficult, although sometimes deep thought and time spent studying it does require, which are all good things. So far, just learning the notes circle and studying the sharps and flats in a scale, are helping me to see the bigger picture a bit more clearly on the fretboard.

I don’t have a BHAG. I would like to be able to play a bunch of songs that I enjoy listening to, reasonably well on the guitar, and enjoy doing so. I would consider it a great personal accomplishment to be able to do that. If along the way I could gain a better understanding of what goes into making music by studying music theory, I would consider that a bonus. Fortunately, I have the time in my life to do so now. So here I am.

I’ve a long, strange, trip ahead, but, I’m in no big rush and I’m so very glad I found Justin online. His instruction, demeanor, talent and encouragement are second to none and are to be highly commended. Thank you Justin and all of the rest of the Justin Guitar Community for a job well done! I’m looking forward to continuing my journey to learn to coax beautiful and meaningful melodies out of the belly of my highly respectable guitar.

Kindest regards to all,

Joel

5 Likes

My reason why I’m here for music theory is memory of my guitar teacher who would while we practiced some chords progressions just grabbed his guitar and start jamming beautiful melodies. Improvising freely. That is my life-long goal.

2 Likes

I loved most music all my life, rock mostly. In my early youth I briefly tried guitar and a few other instruments. I lacked the discipline and patience required. In retrospect, I can’t completely rule out fear of failure or judgement for always quitting. “Too hard” was an excuse.
Later raising a family and other priorities got in the way as it often does.
Well, at 67 and in the midst of covid, I’ve decided it’s now or never. I’m retired. My kids are grown and successful. I have the patience and discipline. I no longer have a fear of failure or being judged. This is for me and me alone. If others should eventually find any pleasure in my ability, well, wouldn’t a bonus. :slight_smile:
Having been at this now for about 6 months here and via random you tubes, I’m feeling very confident and happy in my ability. I’m commited to going down this road as far as it will take me with the time have left. “It’s the journey…”
I want to become as competent at improv, jam, as I possibly can. I’ve been really getting into the blues of late. It really connects with something inside.
I want theory to make “it” click, the glue.
Back in the day as an engineering student, I always faired far better with connections to practical applications. Loved and learned with Justin’s free beginner’s courses. I’m putting my trust in Justin with his theory approach to help my reach next levels.

2 Likes

@Clkahuna1
Welcome to the community.

I learned some music theory while playing piano, and I would love to see how theory is applicable to playing the guitar! Perhaps there are overlaps in how theory is applied to execution on the instrument, but I am also very interested on how theory is applied to different instruments in unique ways :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am studying theory because I hope/expect it will help me listen to a song and understand what is going on musically, and play it myself, perhaps improvise in a way that “fits”. I don’t want to be all technique and no knowledge, always dependent on a songbook or tabs to learn a song. It should also help me communicate with other musicians, including my kids who’ve been playing instruments for years and can jam along with each other with only a few hints of what scale or chord progression they are playing…

I first tried to learn some theory so I could help my kids learn piano and violin, but it was hard and rather dry and dull. Doing Schmitt exercises over and over isn’t fun! But on this site and in the forums, theory isn’t just dull or theoretical, it’s explained in a way I can understand and apply… for example, @Richard_close2u had written a long post in the old forum about “Harmonizing the major scale” and it was a real eye opener for me, and connected so many “musical dots” in my brain…

1 Like

Thanks for remembering that old topic @Beatup6String. I have been migrating some of the old ones to the #tips-from-the-official-guides section but not that one yet.

1 Like

I’ve been noodling around with the guitar for years now, never really committing to actually learning it and it’s been getting increasingly frustrating to always feel stuck and ill-equiped when trying to play something new. So here I am committing myself to work on fundamentals and to try to build up to a point where I can jam with people and write/improvise coherent songs.

2 Likes

@CheshireMi and @Clkahuna1 and @AssPork and @HotOrange
Hello all new people… How nice to see that so many newcomers are catching on to this topic,… that’s a very good start to your musical adventure here :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
Greetings Rogier

2 Likes

I am learning music theory to improve my guitar playing, and learn the reason why certain notes make up chords, and scales. Eventually i would like to be able to play any song on the guitar, and be in a touring band. I started learning music theory several years ago, but quit when i didn’t feel i could find the resources i needed to learn it properly.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to play the guitar. “It’s just not something I can/get to do.”

I mostly want to just jam on my guitar. I also want to write songs. I’ve always had tunes floating around in my head, but no way to translate them, and then I forget them. I have lyrics to 20-30 songs written down, and I know the guitar and bass to them. Just reading the lyrics brings the rhythm and music back to my mind.

My wife loves to hear me play despite my lack of skill. I’d like to play beautiful songs for her.

2 Likes