Why are you studying theory?

After watching the video, my more concise answer is: I want to learn theory, because I NEED to understand! I need to understand what Dadd11/F# means and why. I can’t just play it because you said to and that’s just it’s name. It has to make sense to me for it to mean anything to me.

1 Like

I’m using this course to help me understand music. I’ve always enjoyed sing and writing song but never knew the math to putting music to the words. I’m older and just starting my guitar journey and I want to enjoy it as much as possible. So far I am fascinated. Thanks Justin for making this course.

2 Likes

I want to learn music theory to further my understanding of chords, scales, and positions on the guitar to improve my knowledge and understand how everything is interrelated. Using this course and the music theory course will give me more direction and most of all structure to my learning.

I have been playing for awhile, but lack the structure and understanding of how everything works. Imagine a blank sheet of paper with vertical line down the page. My playing (represented by dots on the page) is all over the page. I want those dots to be very close to the vertical line. (Hope the makes sense). Any comments will be appreciated.

I want to be able to find a G or C chord all over the neck and be able to play a song in different keys. I am really excited about this program and learning. Thanks Justin, you are an awesome teacher.

1 Like

Why do I want to learn theory? To be able to improvise, create my own solos along with songs, and be able to understand the guitar freeboard in depth. Sometimes I hear songs and can’t figure out the songs and solos. I want to be lost in the music like Justin always tells us! Hopefully I get that out of this course. Thanks again, Justin.

2 Likes

I’m learning music theory because I had been introduced to it at Jazz Camp in High School when I played alto sax. I gave up my horn after high school and now 40 years later, I’m learning guitar and I want to understand the relationship between the strings, why they are laid out the way they are, and how to make sense of it all and be a better player. On the sax, you can only play one night at a time. I will say that my background in music has helped me tremendously and I’m excited to have come across your website when I first began two years ago.

2 Likes

Up until now I have treated playing guitar as a mechanical process as i have no natural music ability. I don’t have a musical ear nor can i sing. I adopted a “can do” attitude with the view that it is simply a case of putting your fingers in the right place at the right time and “how hard can it be?” This has worked well so far but I read that Justin said that learning theory and ear training can take you from being the perpetual improving beginner (which I have been for 40 years) to become a proper intermediate player. I have already seen benefits getting the ear training. I reckon that I should approach this like i do with all my work stuff and learn all the background stuff (i am the only guy at my work that reads all the manuals - then everyone wonders why i know all the answers >> so, why not hit the guitar “books” with the same mentality). I see theory as my key to making the next step up. I’m really excited about this but then I am a bit of a nerd (all us guitar players have got to be nerds, you won’t convince me otherwise - rock on nerdy buddies).

1 Like

Oh, and to be able to improvise cool solos.

1 Like

What would you like to get out of this course?

• Having seen fellow musicians get together and start jamming, I want to be able to do that, too. Also wanna be able to tell if a transcript actually makes sense, there is a lot of rubbish out there it seems like

If you have tried learning music theory before, why did it go wrong? How will you avoid that same problem?

• that was all the way back in middle school and I simply haven’t been interested in it at that point

What’s your BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Guitar Goal)?

• Being able to just grab the guitar an play/jam without having to have memorized a song’s chord progression, kinda just wing it
2 Likes

From one thing, know 10,000 things.

2 Likes

To learn improvisation. Thats the reason i started guitar anyway.

1 Like

Answer #1 - I would like to learn the math and science behind music so I can essentially dissect and understand music on a more detailed level.
Answer #2 - I never really tried music theory before so I can’t really answer this.
Answer#3 - I would like to be able to improvise and understand what I am improvising as I am playing, visualizing as many different ways to play different things at any given time. The current genre I would love to be able to improvise would be upbeat fusion jazz or something along those lines. I would also enjoy playing prog stuff, improv or not.

2 Likes

reason my learning music theory :- to understand songs by myself instead of mugging up from the tutorials, to make songs, to improvise and to enchance boring pop songs using music theory.

1 Like

Welcome to the community👍
Agree with 1 and 2,
Not sure I am ever going to be good enough for 3

1 Like

Welcome to the community :notes::guitar:

1 Like

I started playing guitar last February. I started learning guitar in September, haha.

1. To be able to understand and truly appreciate music and the process behind how chords and notes link to each other instead of just playing along and hoping I get it along the way.

2. I’d love to be able to cover and play along with my favorite music. Heck, maybe even lend my tone and whatnot to other cover artists or musicians that create content online.

1 Like

Honestly, I had a kind of unfortunate path to music theory but I’m glad I’m here! Turns out I got so excited with guitar that I over practiced an unhealthy amount…now dealing with mild carpal tunnel. I wanted to stay motivated and still feel like I was continuing my guitar journey rather than just taking a complete break from it and feel like my medical condition has completely stopped my new musical passion. I decided I would keep learning guitar while limiting my actual playing of guitar by learning music theory, allowing me to rest my hand until I can get back and ensure I don’t just give up on guitar in the future. Like I said, kind of an unfortunate path to this end of the website but I’m really excited, have already learned a LOT with just Grade 1 and Grade 2, and I can already see how all of this theory will be helpful once my hand is back and ready to go. I’m looking forward to what I’ll be able to do with all the theory knowledge once I’m 100% back to playing! Thank you, Justin!!!

1 Like

For me starting the theory course is about becoming more aware of what I’m playing on the guitar. I started doing this already, in no small part thanks to tje free Justin courses. But I want to really deeply understand it and use theory to become a better musician. This includes jamming with others, writing songs, but also improvising.
I learnt a bit of music theory at school, then stopped when I graduated. I now picked theory up again as I started to learn guitar a good year ago.

1 Like

it’s because i wanna get to know my guitar better.

1 Like

My big goal is to be able to play well enough to Jam in local bars on acoustic. A few bars in my area have open jam nights and seeing people able to go up and play songs is so inspirational and I want to have the experience and courage to do this myself. Im 49yrs old and have been using Justin Guitar for about a year off and on and have been commiting to it daily for about the past 6 months.
I also would like to write my own songs one day.
I have found learning the little bit of theory I have learned has helped me understand the fretboard more and also has given me a few of those “lightbulb clicking on” situations. I also watch alot of videos on guitar playing and when people use terms like modes, Triads, & Intervals, its nice to know what they mean and there association to music.

1 Like

Learning theory for me is about understanding what I am doing on the guitar. My little brother is a master all over the fret board but he cant even name the strings. he cannot jam with other players and I suspect (with my limited understanding) this is due to him not understanding theory. I would love to be able to play with him (and others) so I think learning theory will be a must. I have been encouraging him to due this course also. maybe I can show him the benefits and this will push him across the line to join and learn also. Very excited to get learning.

1 Like