Why are you studying theory?

In my very brief sitar journey (I gave up after 5 lessons as i’m just not interested enough in Indian music, but the sitar itself is pretty cool), one of the mental blocks for me was that there was only 1 string to be played, so for any melody I had to run my finger up and down the string all the time, and I found it pretty exhausting compared to the guitar where you can (have to, actually) jump strings and can think in “boxes” or shapes based on the position of the frets.

I’ve heard someone compare the 1-string approach to a piano, but I think it’s not entirely true given that on keyboard instruments you can play chords, use various fingering patterns, etc. just like on the guitar. And you can use more than 1 finger to play a melody, too, which is also a good thing :smiley:

So yeah, if someone has experience with one or more instruments, it probably helps to keep comparisons to a minimum and approach each instrument as something more or less unique with their own idiosyncrasies.

That’s what Justin’s PMT module is all about. He places an emphasis on learning a small set of basic chord grips (like the open chords or E-shape barre chords, for example) and then teaches you how to alter them in a practical way, so you won’t have to rely on “1001 chords to learn before you die” sort of publications.

2 Likes

I think it will make it easier to figure out how to play songs that I love, and eventually construct my own and improvise.

2 Likes

Hi, Justin. I have 2 comments. The first is that almost every other book or video I have ever watched about music theory has failed for me because it goes too fast and leaves too many unanswered questions, including the biggie: what can you do with it? My second comment is that the reason why I am learning music theory is primarily for music appreciation of the guitarists I admire most, to help me understand what they do when they do it. I don’t ever expect to get there myself, but understanding it all will (hopefully) get me one step closer!

That’s all, thanks for everything you do, Justin.

2 Likes

In recent months I started playing guitar again. I tried over over 20 years ago and felt like I failed and drowned in music theory that felt disconnected from anything I could play. This time around I am approaching the guitar with playfulness and I am surprised by the pleasant experience of reunion (and how much muscle memory was retained over such a long period of time).

In one of your early lessons, where you introduced the chords E,A, D using the anchor finger, I found myself just moving between the chords and I could feel simple music come to life in this oh-so-limited range … and I want to expand on that initial experience, to be able to express more then I was able with those three chords, but with similar grace and ease.

Lately I’ve been listening to and watching a lot this clip from Julian Lage: Julian Lage - Tributary (Official Video) - YouTube

I can practically taste (and see) the music theory … so I am curious to see if I’ll be able to bring my heart to hear better and my fingers to play better … hence the theory course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So many times I hear a few cool chords or a solo, and I am left thinking, why do I like this so much? What is so magical about the combination of these notes, that make me like this? I can play a few songs, I have been playing for a little more than two years now, and I want to understand what is so interesting about the music that I like. I know the basics of music theory, but now I want to get more into the advanced stuff. So that I can eventually make some music myself.

2 Likes

I’m studying theory for two main reasons, first is to better understand the music I love - why was a song written a certain way, what key is it in, are there key changes, what chord progressions are in it, mode. Ultimately be able to analyze songs and maybe find some common patterns that really resonate with me, and in the process learn something about myself!

Second reason is around writing music, I’d love to get into writing songs but honestly wouldn’t even know where to start right now. I think it would help with getting started at least, have a framework to sort of use as a base to build on, if that makes sense.

Super excited to get started, I was going to wait till I finished grade 3 before signing up but couldn’t wait and decided to do them in parallel! :grinning:

1 Like

I’m studying music theory because I want to be able to jam with my musician friends and maybe even start a band- I want to be able to communicate with them and understand what they’re talking about. I also just want to be a well-rounded guitar player!

2 Likes

I’m curious about the ratios between the lengths of the string that produces octaves & intervals, 4ths, 5ths &c - there seems to be every answer and none on the internet.
I’d like to know my way around the neck of the guitar a little better!
Song composition - what are the structures and can I ever write something that sounds better than a simple chord progression. That would be nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to know the why behind what I’m learning. I love Guitar so much I want to know everything about it.

1 Like

• What would you like to get out of this course?
When I get especially interested in something, I strive to learn all there is to know about it. I find I learn far better when I understand the “why” of something before I try to learn the “what.” Theory must come before practice, at least for me. When I decided to take up the guitar again after many years, and before I even bought a guitar, I began by reading several books on music theory. I wanted to know the how and why underlying music in general, and how it came to be that way. From this course I hope to get a good understanding of music theory with respect to the guitar, and how to apply music theory to understand and actually play music on the guitar.

• If you have tried learning music theory before, why did it go wrong? How will you avoid that same problem?
I have never seriously tried to learn music theory, but have always been curious about it. Now I want to learn as much as I can about it. I suspect it is the major key (as it were) to the music kingdom.
• What’s your BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Guitar Goal)?
Right now, I have a growing admiration for current and former session musicians (Justin Sandercoe , Jimmy Page, et al.). How do they get that good, and how close could I ever get to that level of expertise. My BHAG is to see how close I can get to that level of expertise.

3 Likes

Ben @BBFJR
First of all welcome to the community :grinning:
I am a bit like you in wanting to know why I am doing what I am doing on the guitar.
Michael :+1::notes:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I enjoyed your learning log, and reading the other community responses, it seems like a lot of us “seasoned rockers” (I was born in 1953) are circling back around to our unfinished business with the guitar.

Best,

1 Like

Ben @BBFJR
Would agree 53 was a good vintage.
You will find a lot in the community have come back to the guitar in later life when real life has settled down a bit.
Music theory 12 months ago I had no knowledge or interest in, my how things have changed, I am really enjoying the challenge that the guitar and theory throws up at you.
Michael

1 Like

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is doing well.

To summarize, I’m starting this theory journey because I’ve been learning guitar for around 6 months or so, and I really want to know what I’m playing, like the “Whys” and the “hows”.

My big goal is to improvise while knowing what I’m doing instead of hitting random notes :smiley:

2 Likes

for me im female age 38 and went through fenders getting started on electric guitar dvd when i was 17,in the end i felt empty,yes i could play a blues rhythm and solo,but i didnt understand what i was playing i was just regurgitating it,so if i needed to change it into another key i had no idea how to do so,and i didnt know how to make my own music key and structure wise and couldnt solo,so its like i wanna learn the language of music so i can change any songs key,understand where notes are on the fretboard,make my own rhythm and solo and notate music notes as an extra.

2 Likes

I played acoustic guitar from 5 years of age through high school - my parents insisted 30 minutes a day and music was mandatory part of child. Life took over and I never got the passion or discipline to pick my instrument back up. Until 3 months ago when it hit me like a brick. 53 years old now, kids flew the coupe, have spare time and I can’t believe how fun it has been the past few months to re-learn. With age comes some maturity, and enjoyment for the sake of learning. Music theory has been like opening Pandora’s box, absolutely incredible new language. Simply learning theory is about 50% of the enjoyment factor as I start this next journey. Good stuff.

4 Likes

I am committed to learning music theory as I want to be a more intuitive musician who can play lead or jam with other musicians in different keys.

5 Likes

I completed Grade 1 of Music Theory some months ago. I recently decided to get back into it, and have purchased the higher grades. What is my motivation?

• I’m a naturally curious person. I just like learning things. I take a lot of courses on a lot of topics. People often say that I’ll be in university my whole life. (I probably would, if it weren’t so expensive. I am currently working on my fourth degree program.)
  • I did band (trombone, and briefly baritone) and choir in school. So, I already have a decent background knowledge on the topic. I’m mostly interested in refreshing this knowledge and applying it to guitar.
  • It is a common joke amongst guitarists that many guitarists do not like studying theory, and they justify this by saying that theory makes them less creative. It seems to me that the opposite is true. Theory can make you a better player. If you want to be a writer, it behooves you to learn the rules of the language and expand your vocabulary in that language; the same is true of music.
3 Likes

Why? - I want to be able to communicate with other players and really just want to know more for myself as a player.
What got in the way in past - Desire to take the time. Felt overwhelming.

3 Likes

I wanna learn why there are scales, chords etc. how its all connected and from there it will make alot more sense when playing and what to play.

2 Likes