Why are you studying theory?

Why - I want to understand why certain notes/chords sound “good” together and why others don’t. I don’t want to just memorize chords and notes on the fretboard and other musicians’ songs. I want to be able to confidently improvise and write my own music.

I never dabbled much in music theory growing because I was percussionist, mainly interested in playing the drum set. So I didn’t need to understand much of this to do well at my instrument. I dug into it a little in college, taking an intro to music theory course, but never stuck with it because I still didn’t have a way I was practically applying it to an instrument at the time.

3 Likes

For me I always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. The guitar has always been the instrument of choice.
Ingoing through the kearn to play guitar app I feel that music theory will help with a completeness of understanding. Allowing me to not only copy music parrot fashion but to elaborate, improvise and feel the music inside.
Already ithas opened my eyes and provided a very much needed stress relief as a benefit.
Ultimately it would be great to jam along with others and crete my own pieces. I cant sing so wouldn’t want to be an aged pop star but allow creativity into my life.
It is a journey I am really emjoying. My only worry is trying to run before I can walk because as a beginner everything seems challenging and I don’t want to overload/overwhelm my brain and spoil the journey.
I need to trust in tne process!!
So far so good it is something special I am following and enjoying, so much, the mental challenges it gives me.
Thank you for such a well thought out resource.

2 Likes

I’m doing it because I want to learn more about chords and improvising.

2 Likes

I would like to become a musician (not professionally it’s a hobby), to become good at it. Based on everything I heard music theory can help in many areas like writing songs, figuring out what cord to play, scale, etc.

1. What I would like to get out of this course is a structure of lessons that I can stick to unlock a greater possibility of being a musician. More specifically, I would like to know the notes on the guitar easily, know what notes might sound good when improvising (based on scales/notes), and play up and down the neck arpeggio style :smiley: Obviously, a lifelong pursuit of refinement but would like to know the basics.
  2. I did study music theory before on my own and then quit. It was a lot of searching for the material on my own and there was no structure of what I should be learning first. So I lost motivation. Sometimes what I was learning I did not know if it was relevant to where I am now.
  3. Audacias goal: I can hear a song and play it (with my own spin on it).
2 Likes

Eric @erikhren
Welcome to the community
Michael :notes:

1 Like

hey, how ya doing Justin? to answer your questions:

1. what would I most like? to get a solid foundation of understanding music so that I may put it into practice, to play the guitar (or other instruments) more effectively.
  2. why did I fall off? I’m an old retired guy. As a 9 yr old boy, started playing music on an accordion, then guitar and drums as a teenager, then drifted away to other interests; would come back to the guitar casually every now and then, but life got in the way - university, marriage, mortgage, start and raise a family; now I’m retired I have more time and want to get back playing guitar on a serious steady basis.
  3. what’s my BHAG? To play well enough to sing songs with my 19 month granddaughter and encourage her to have an interest in music.
2 Likes

I am relatively new to both music and the guitar. I studied music like others in high school and played some piano and trumpet growing up but never studied the theory behind how songs are put together. I have certainly heard musicians discuss playing a song and they might say to the singer - what key do you want this song to be played in so you may sing along. I understood there were Keys but I had no real concept of how they were built. For me I am trying to become the best guitarist I am able to become now starting in my late fifties. I am in the medical profession and I feel the best way for me to become the best I can be is to understand the why and how behind what is. Just going through the first two free modules allowed me to learn a simple concept I had not yet fully put together - so I am really looking forward to the rest of this.
Who knows where this journey will lead me. I am not planning on writing songs. However, once I understand how to - I will not plan on leaving any possibility off the table. Thank you for this course and your website. I have been using the App for the last two years and enjoy learning new songs.

2 Likes

Reasons for enrolling on this course

1. My brain is logic-based so ‘just put your fingers in this position’ never really satisfies me. I want to know ‘why’ I am putting my fingers in a specific position.
    Why do the note in the pentatonic scale always sound good when other notes do not?
    Why do minor chords sound sad?

2. I never learned music as a child. This is something is bitterly regret. Now I retired, I have the time and the interest to learn. Maybe it is 50 years late, but I am going to give it a shot.

Goal
To be able to play in a jam session with ‘real’ musicians.

Thanks… Karl (Arizona)

2 Likes

I started to play guitar for a couple of years in my teens, then put it down for 40 years. Seven years ago, I met and then ultimately married one of San Diego County’s best bluegrass flatpick guitarists. Bill taught me an awful lot, techniques, melodies, but I never mastered improvised solos when I did not know the melody. Bill died tragically 3 weeks ago, so now his student needs to move forward with her guitar journey without him. He was so good at theory, easy for a Yale physics major whose mathematical abilities were amazing, whereas it always confused me. I never practiced guitar enough when he was alive, I am feeling a great sadness because of that. Now, in his memory, and to help me move forward in my goal to improvise solos, I am taking this course. I love Justin’s teaching style and I really want to get better at playing as a tribute to my wonderful husband, my best friend and ace flatpicker.

3 Likes

For me, the reason I feel that I should understand the theory is so that I can just sit down in the evening and jam to myself just playing sounds that I love to hear. Listening to proper musicians jam is so inspiring.

2 Likes

Looking to link all the separate pieces I’ve learned over the years into a cohesive hole and plug the many gaps in my knowledge. I can play a variety of songs well enough, but want to more intuitively be able to play my own music. Ultimately, I’d like to get to a point where I can improvise fluidly and jam confidently with others.

2 Likes

I want to understand how melody links to chords. I have never studied before. I guess I want to play with other people and write a song that I like. Thanks!

2 Likes

To answer Justin’s questions in this video…

1. I just started Justin’s Beginner Guitar Course (I’m just starting the Beginner Grade 2 content). I’m really enjoying the content so far and the one improvement I’d like to see is to make it clear when a good point would be to get into the practical music theory. I didn’t know, so I started it now! The reason I started the Practical Music Theory course is to support my practical learning. I’ve reached a barrier in my playing which I think could be overcome by having a better understanding of the building blocks of music.

2. I haven’t attempted music theory before because I’m crap at maths and it seemed too daunting. I remember lots of people saying that maths and music went together so I assumed I was doomed! Do you think this is the case?!

3. My BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal) is to be able to improvise well so that I can increase the enjoyment of playing, mainly for myself but also for and with others should those opportunities arise.

Thanks a million for the great content. It really does keep me coming back for more and I appreciate the time and effort that’s gone into all your work.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m so ignorant, I’m not really sure why I’m taking this theory course. For the number of years that I’ve owned a guitar and played it, I should be a lot better and more knowledgeable than I am. For example, I play with a group of guys. Often times, they’ll ask what chord or note I’m playing. I’d like to be able to answer them without having to sneak a peek at my tuner! I’ve learned to play cover songs, and I’ve “written” a few simple original tunes but I only know a handful of obvious chords and I have no idea how they relate to each other or how to introduce/use other chords. Also, for years now, I’ve heard knowledgeable players expound upon how it “changed everything” for them when they understood the relationships between chords and scales. I used to mistake being raw and ignorant for rock 'n roll street cred. Now I want to know what’s beyond my limited scope.

3 Likes

Brian @Jingledale
Welcome to the community.
Hope learning theory fills in the gaps for you.:+1:
Michael

1 Like

This really hits home. I felt that I couldn’t learn theory because it was complicated and somehow put me outside the category of people that knew it or could know it. But like you, it’s definitely limited my playing to the point where I got stuck, particularly with any kind of improvisation and soloing as I would have no idea which notes were going to sound good before I played them so the only way to improve would be trial and error. I’m sure Justin’s theory course will help us both improve our scope! :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been playing guitar on and off since I was 13 years old. I’m now in my 40s. Technically, I can play fairly well. I can pick up songs by ear fairly quickly. I know what “sounds good” when I’m playing. In college, I was even in a band for several years that played shows consistently. I wrote and collaborated on songs.

However, during all this, I never had any idea what I was doing in terms of music theory. I could possibly identify a key, but that’s it. I wouldn’t even know the chords in that key. I have no idea what I’m doing when jamming, and actually had several fairly embarrassing experiences in this regard. Like, “you’re a really good guitarist, and you write music. How do you not know how to jam?”

I want to learn how to improvise confidently both on my own and with other musicians. I want to know how to identify a key and jam in it. I want to learn how to write better music. Basically, all of music theory is interesting to me.

3 Likes

I am studying theory because I want to understand the instrument I’m playing. I’m 24 and started learning when I was 10 with guitar instruction DVD’s and by ear. I took a long break from guitar when I was 17 and just got back into it a few months ago. I believe at the time I reached a level that I could only get so far in without theory. So now I’m sitting down and really taking it in and I want to make myself a better player and I want more from the instrument than what I had before.

2 Likes

Robert @JACOB1557
Welcome to the community and I am sure you will enjoy and benefit from learning theory.
Michael :notes:

1 Like

Welcome to the newer members I see posting in this theory thread - @JACOB1557, @MC_McMic, @Jingledale, @edbrentnall etc.
I’m a big fan of theory, and was fortunately introduced to it via Justin’s Practical Music Theory course a bit over 2 years ago.
Brilliant course - the pinnacle of his teaching I believe. I know he’s very proud of it, and so he should be. Its highly practical nature means it brings the theory onto the guitar, and cements these concepts in your playing. This is the key I believe.
Its been the cornerstone of my development, and in many ways allows you to become your own teacher.
After 2 years, thanks to Justin, I feel I’ve got a pretty solid foundation to move forward with.
Add to this some vastly experienced, knowledgeable, and very helpful ‘theory’ folk in this community, eg. @Richard_close2u , @stitch et al, and we’re on a winner here folks.

All the best

Cheers, Shane

2 Likes