Why Learn Music Theory?

Music theory is the difference between playing music and making music!

View the full lesson at Why Learn Music Theory? | JustinGuitar

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: I paid for the APP and now have to pay more for the theory course. Is that right?

The above link to Why Learn Music Theory is dead. This is the new one: https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/why-study-music-theory-b1-709

Why study music theory? As Justin said, to learn how to use the major and other scales to improvise and how to compose songs. I tried these lessons a while ago and stopped because I did not have the time to keep up with the lessons. The PMT course today seems to be better organized and presented.

1 Like

Hi,

I just finished grade 1 of the beginner guitar course and I’d like to learn music theory. I also play piano and I know some basic theory but I’d like to learn a lot more. So I was wondering if I could apply the practical music theory course to both guitar and piano.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Bram @BramD, I’m new to music theory myself, but have learned the following: not only can you apply what you’re learning in the practical music theory course to piano, but it’s actually easier to learn the theory on piano! If you enroll in Justin’s theory course, you’ll be able to attend his next live session (as well as view recordings of the previous two). As I recall, he will go “back to basics” on the next lesson, AND is keen on demonstrating on a keyboard. I don’t recall the date for the next live lesson; hopefully someone will reply with that.

Anecdotally, I was messing around with a small MIDI keyboard last night, and was able to immediately pick out major, minor, augmented, and diminished forms of chords. I struggle to do this on the fretboard! But this probably isn’t a surprise to you. :wink:

1 Like

Yes!

Cheers

Keith

Dec 12 is the next live class.

The start page is here and I think my browser auto-logged in to see this.
https://www.justinguitar.com/classes/practical-music-theory-course-fast-hands-on

1 Like