Why use a popper stopper?

This video explains and demonstrates a whole lot of of useful things that Iā€™ve never known. Iā€™m sharing it because I think it has a place here. Itā€™s also given me more ideas for shaping sound. @Notter Mark this might be useful in helping you position and use your mic.

7 Likes

Fascinating, thanks for sharing

1 Like

Really interesting @batwoman Maggie, thank you so much for sharing and tagging. Perfect timing as well as Iā€™m planning on doing some experimentation over this weekend with some vocal work. And have just taken delivery of a pop filter today via Amazon! Like you read my mind :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Haha, my bat sonar at work Mark :bat:

1 Like

I never truly understood the difference so this is an eye opener, thanks Maggie!

1 Like

@adi_mrok yep, I found it enlightening. His demos make it so clear. Iā€™m glad itā€™s useful to you Adi.

1 Like

Looking forward to this Maggie. Iā€™ve not used the pop since switching to dynamic. Bookmarked.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Doubt youā€™d use a pop filter with a dynamic Toby. I think youā€™d lose too much presence.

Very interesting, thanks!

1 Like

Yes that why I stopped using it but should I go back to a multi track project and sing solo, then I am likely to use the condenser. So worth a watch post dog walk. :smile:

1 Like

Good share Maggie. I got one early on when I started singing with the condenser, as I found myself holding back without one. Interesting tip to sing off axis. Good see Chris using Scheps Omni Channel, thatā€™s my go to Waves plugin for mixing. If you havenā€™t got it, worth checking out. Great on all tracks not just vocals.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@batwoman
Thanks for sharing this one, Maggie.

Really interesting and quite interesting how the pop filter recording had the extra brightness. I suppose it means it does a little more than tame plosives and sibilance, must be filtering some frequencies that add some ā€˜muddy woofinessā€™.

That said, when playing back both over the BT, would have been tough to pick one from the other with the eyes closed. And as I listen through my PC with my sonā€™s gaming headset on which has good sound but perhaps not as responsive as my mixing HPs, I reckon he could trick me and Iā€™d not pick if he was playing a different track second time round. I know, that also is a factor of my auditory acuity.

For live with a dynamic, I think I am probably OK with backing off plus being a little off-axis into a dynamic. My ability to sing is probably also not good enough to be compromised by such subtleties. Will continue with a pop filter when recording an audio track for a multi-track studio production.

Thanks again

2 Likes

How am i going to get the ā€œpepperā€ song out of my head now?

2 Likes

Iā€™m with David on this one.
Iā€™m not doubting that there is a difference, but this is so minute, esp. for most of us here, that Iā€™m sure the main benefit is psychological.
Thanks for posting, though, Maggie. It did make me think how to improve my vocal recording.
A Chris Liepe course is too much effort at the moment, but purchasing a microphone seems like low-hanging fruit :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for the posting Maggie, it was an interesting watch.

Iā€™m with David and Brian, I couldnā€™t have been able to tell the difference with my eyes closed.

But knowledge is power, as they say.

1 Like