Wish You Were Here Cover - first acoustic/vocal AVOYP

That was terrific Shane. Super guitar work with the strumming, picking and the solo part too in the little inset box. Very high tech! I thought your singing was really good. Well done!

As a complete aside @LievenDV
My targeted replies are still completely hit or miss. This time I got one when replying to the OP which I didn’t think was possible.
I replied using the big red reply button.

Whoa Shane that’s a ripper. Thought you nailed it and the little bloke in the corner playing the lead did ok !! :wink: Nice to see you going acoustic. nice touch and tone. And do I recall you saying you could sing ? Great vox even as others have said a tad low in the mix. Good production and all round good listen.

Bonzer !

:sunglasses:

Much appreciated Brian. Yep, its a special tune indeed, for many. Still very much in trial and error mode with the singing. Not sure where I ‘sit’. I’ve not really taken to a capo on the guitar - don’t really like them. Will have to get over that nonsense, as I can see their value.
Might have to put the capo somewhere else if I want to sing a bit higher😖

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Yeah mate, I have that one bookmarked, as well as some others. Some great info and insight
Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Well that was really good. This song is a “must learn” for so many of us. Awesome playing - especially the solo! - and your singing worked.

Thanks for the share, hope to see more.

Much appreciated guys. Thanks for the feedback - @TheMadman_tobyjenner @sairfingers @Socio @LievenDV @jkahn @Rossco01 @philsmith @Rossco01 @adi_mrok @skinnyt @DarrellW.

Thanks for the observations on the singing. Some good tips there, and gives me a base to work on.
Cheers, Shane

That was a great performance all around, Shane.

1 Like

I enjoyed your performance Shane.
Look forward to your next video.

Wow sclay very nice indeed keep it up man!!! :slight_smile: I quite enjoyed this! Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks @R.F.W and @Bytron08 for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Cheers, Shane.

Awesome stuff Shane, it’s certainly a right of passage song and you did it all justice. Nice one :+1:

I really liked your performance. After only two years! Wow! This song is one of my favourites.

Shane this is so good. The time you’ve put into it shows in the the way you play, the tones and pitches you get and the flow of the whole piece. It’s polished. You also sing well, so no more putting yourself down mate OK?

Thanks for the kind and honest feedback Maggie. Along with many others I assume, I suppose this self-deprecating mindset is a protection mechanism I subconciously use so people wont think I’m full of myself. Not that I am in any way. Its a pretty common human trait, as you probably know, particularly with depressive types like me - the glass half empty of cyanide type personality. I see it all over this forum, and in many areas of life. It’s protecting the ego so it wont get hurt. We want people to like us, and think well of us. Funny little business this is, this human experience.
It’s not necessarily a bad thing in small, constructive measures, but you’re right, its not entirely healthy, and really should be countered with plentiful and oft thoughts of immense pride and joy at our achievements and milestones. Learning and playing guitar is no easy task as you know, and so many on this forum are kicking some huge personal goals on a daily basis.
The biggest buzz I get on this forum is when I see an early learner saying " I finally nailed that D chord, woohoo", or " I made a big breakthrough with strumming today - feels much better". It’s like I’m right there with them, revelling in the joy and sense of accomplishment of it all. Because I was there at one point, and not all that long ago.
Anyway, philisophical Friday post over, I’m going to go practice singing that Bob Seger classic, “Still The Same”, and hopefully post it up here soon
Thanks again Maggie.

Cheers, Shane

6 Likes

Fantastic! I’ve been going at this for about 2 years as well and that sounded much better than when I play it. I have not attempted the solo yet. Absolutely can not sing while playing. You are doing great. Really nice job on the recording as well.

Thanks for the feedback Michael. Keep at it mate, this song will reward you with the skills it develops. Has been a terrific teaching song for me in many ways. Plus its just a crackin tune.
Cheers, Shane

Thanks for the inspiration, Shane. You’ve done a beautiful rendition of this challenging classic.

I practice this riff probably three dozen times or more per day on 12-string, and after over a year, am just starting to play it right most of the time. Haven’t worked up the courage to record it yet. Congratulations to you for having the courage and doing a great job of it.

1 Like

Thanks for feedback Jonathan. Would love to hear you play it on that 12 string, which as you know, is how Dave Gilmour played it

Cheers,
Shane

Shane, I share your insecurity about singing in public. It terrifies me. It’s really an inspiration to see a guy go for it like you did. You sounded great!

1 Like

I love this Shane. You make some astute observations about our mechanisms for protecting the ego.

Just for the record, I’ve always liked you Shane and now I’ve heard you sing and play so well, you can add me to your fan base. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like