Wish You Were Here Cover - first acoustic/vocal AVOYP

Awesome !!

1 Like

Maggie picked one to amplify from your philosophical Friday, Shane, my pick is this one. Iā€™m with you on that one. We are social beings and sharing the adventures with all the challenges and achievements makes it all the more enjoyable for me, and indeed possible.

1 Like

That was truly well done, Shane! I canā€™t wait to hear your rendition of ā€˜Still the Sameā€™. Your voice is well suited to singing Seger.

Thereā€™s a lot to be proud of here - nice, even cadence; clear ringing chords and notes played gently andsweetly. Iā€™m with LBro on the the vocals; thereā€™s a complimentary quality to them - isolated and juiced a little would round this out superbly. Overall, a very soothing ā€˜vibeā€™ .

PG

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and tips Gary. Much appreciated.
Cheers, Shane.

1 Like

Your rhythm through the entire tune is impeccable, and truly inspirational. Iā€™ve been playing bits of this song as soon as I picked up the guitar and you made me realize how far I have to go still!

You asked for feedback on the guitar and the only thing that stuck out to me was in the solo, those double-stop slides, make sure and dig into both strings before you slide to get both notes ringing, and the bends later on seemed to be pretty flat, depending on what gauge strings youā€™re playing those bends are rough to nigh impossible. I think I read that David Gilmore used lighter strings for this solo specifically.

Thanks Dale for the feedback. Much appreciated mate. Yep those double stop slides Iā€™m still working on to get them consistent every time. Can nail them sometimes, but not others. Thanks for the spot as it matches up with my own assessment. And yeah, getting those bends to pitch on 12s is tough.

Cheers, Shane

Absolutely loved the video. Great performance and production! This is the very first video Iā€™ve watched on this forum, and witnessing what youā€™ve accomplished in just two years is downright inspirational. Keep it up!

1 Like

Thanks Carlo. Much appreciated mate. All down to Justin and the great community here. Youā€™re in for a treat as there many, many great videos on here from people of all levels.

Cheers, Shane

Welcome Carlo!

Right? Isnā€™t is amazing to see how well people progress with this course and their guitar journey?

I am not a poster myself (yet, I am working on it, but yes, I am lame that way), but it is one of the great parts of participating in this community.

We get to see how people progress and learn that we can succeed. We also see the difficulties people are having and learn we are not alone.

That is one reason I do want to put up my own video as well. It goes against my nature, but I want to participate as well to share how people have helped and inspired me.

On the other hand, no one has pressured me or done anything but encourage me, despite my obvious presence in the community without having posted any of my playing.

The community is really a useful and great part of the whole course. Highly recommended.

Great job, Shane! I was pleasantly surprised to hear the second guitar part come in. Very nice touch there. Keep singing - a lot. Itā€™s amazing what practice can do for range, ability to sustain notes and more. Just keep it up now that youā€™ve broken the ice.

1 Like

Great job Shane. I really liked you adding the second window with the lead piece. I think you nailed both the main piece and the lead. Like a couple others, that bend on the lead was great.

Hi again Shane, I found my way here from your welcoming message on my Introduction post. Thanks again for that by the way :slight_smile:
Great playing and awesome singing of this tune. The only downside I could find in this video is that you are a Dragons fan haha

Thanks Sandro for the kind feedback. And yep mate, Dragon for life. Born into it. All my family are mad Dragons supporters, with my 83 yr old Mum at the top of the list!

Cheers, Shane

Wowā€¦ Iā€™m so glad I found this performance. This is outstanding and I aspire to play this song as well as you do. You have a GREAT voice - very solid and naturally in tune. I would like to hear you try to project a bit more if possible, mainly because your singing is right on and under control.

Thanks for the feedback Dan. It is much appreciated. Just started with the singing, so confidence is probably still lacking a bit. Keen to try and develop it so thanks for listening, and giving some input.

Cheers,
Shane

Very solid performanceā€¦both guitar and vocals. To my ear, you sound like Johnny Cash, which is pretty damn good for right out of the gate!

My only suggestion would be to bring up the levels of your singing in the mix a little. Might be as simple as bringing the mic in a little closer.

1 Like

I was sold on your intro solo. You nailed it. Way to go Shane.

1 Like

Excellent!

Hi Shane,

Excellent job.
Guitars sounded sweet.

Nice timing with the vocals. Sounded in tune. Top job for the first attempt.
Had me singing along with you.

Enjoyed this classic.

Digger