Wish You Were Here - Take 2 - NO INTRO

Slum is not a French word, Toby. I just translated wrongly.

Slum: Quartier pauvre… Poor neighborhood

Slump: Stagnation and Stagnation same thing in English. In a slump

You were only one letter out but one of the most important letters otherwise Richard wouldn’t have noticed. After reading the below article from the boffins at Cambridge University it dawned on me that spelling is irrelevant, just need to get the first and last letters right.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

5 Likes

Should know better than trusting Google :rofl:

That is incorrect… perhaps people use it as a slang… like: Les Slums de New York.

I’m new enough to the community here to have missed your first “incarnation” Sandy but that was awesome. Your voice is genuinely terrific and really moving with so much feeling, absolutely bravo. The guitar is very much a compliment to it and I thought your performance here was outstanding.

It’s a shame to read of your frustration with your playing but I totally get it. I had a period a few months back of thinking everything was stale and hid myself from the folks here for a period which, looking back, was the wrong direction. But we are all slaves to our own minds and selves.

Either way, it is a real pleasure to meet you and see you perform, I really hope you are able and want to share more, I know I want to hear it and it seems like I’m not alone!!

Je suis moitié-moitié Anglais / Francais juste pour dire et j’ai pensé que vous avez vraiment bien fait ici, merci beaucoup :+1:

Intros are too complicated anyway! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Merci… your written French is really good. No worries, I will have plenty to share eventually. Wait till your here my F Barre Chord. It is to die for. NOT. Not yet at least.

1 Like

That was a great bit of singing and playing Sandy and welcome back.

Do things the inspire you and don’t stick with the ones that get you down. Play what makes you happy and gives you that “feel good” vibe.

1 Like

Welcome back, Sandy!

I’m not sure whether you’ve been bitten too deeply by the guitar-bug that brings you back, or it’s the loveable interactions of this Community, but you might as well resign yourself to your fate :laughing:
Funny you return to WYWH. I started trying to learn the intro again just the other week (before becoming distracted as usual :roll_eyes:).
One day…

On the positive criticism front, there’s some low-hanging fruit that I believe would make this even better. Listen to the original and focus on which word falls on the fourth beat in the bar.
Where there are a couple of words preceding the fourth beat, you should start singing these after the third beat (i.e. on the ‘upstroke’ or ‘and’ strum)
I put the beats in green and highlighted 1 & 4 to give you a rough idea. Chords in red.
You might find it easier to practice singing to a metronome or simple quarter note downstrums till you’re happy with the phrasing and then change the strumming pattern to a more complicated one.

2 Likes

I agree. Took me sometime to realise.

1 Like

I had to do something similar on my lead sheet for WYWH - the phrasing of the vocals is tricky!

That’s an interesting format, Brian - I like the use of color, and how it puts everything on one line.

1 Like

This is more elaborate than usual for me. I don’t number the beats or use highlighter, (but may put in ‘dashes’ for pauses). I do have the chords on the same line and all in red and , as it means you don’t confuse it with the lyrics.
The biggest advantage of this vs the ‘usual way’ (ultimate guitar, yours), is that it gives you a much better visual representation of the song structure (verses, chorus, bridge etc)

Very nice rendition of a great song.

1 Like

I had not noticed you were gone, Sandy. But that’s only because I was missing in action too! ha! Seriously though, sometimes we all just need a break and will came back when it’s the right time. I need that too, and now I feel reinvigorated. Don’t be too hard on yourself though. You’re making great progress, and I enjoyed your Pink Floyd cover. Great looking guitar as well.

1 Like

No worries Tosh. It helps puts things in perspective.

Hi Sandy!
It’s very good that you’re back. Now we don’t worry anymore. And you’ve made a lot of progress with the guitar. The whole song is performed in a clear stable rhythm. I remember before, there were some problems with timing :wink:
And if you can follow Brian’s advice, it would be an absolute masterpiece in general!
Don’t be so hard on yourself, you’ve succeeded on the right path!
Leo

1 Like

Thanks Croc. Didn’t mean to make anyone worry - LOL. Yeah, I’m proud of my progress. Thanks to you all

1 Like

Hi Sandy,
You are pretty hard on your guitar play as I hear and see lots of progress there. Yet I know the dilemma of not playing. I have trigger finger in my fretting thumb and it has kept me from playing for about a month now. The fingers have gone soft and it might be a while until I am back up to speed…

Nice play here and your vox is good too. Keep up the faith and you will be rewarded on both vox and play. Oh, and great song by the way!

All the best to you and be well,
LB

1 Like

Awesome sandy! I loved your vocals and guitar playing! Thats my fav pink floyd song and you did good! Thanks!

1 Like