Wonderful World / 59th St Bridge Song mashup

First song on my new DIY Tele. A very intentional song choice, as it fits the look of my guitar so well. It was quite a project, but many months later, and with the help of a couple of good friends, it’s ready for playing. The guitar isn’t perfect. The woodworking isn’t perfect, the painting isn’t perfect, the skin application isn’t perfect - and yet I love this guitar. :slight_smile: I am bringing this mindset to my playing now, appreciating more how happy it makes me to play, and not caring so much about the muckups. This is my practice recording from a few days ago for the Open Mic that just ended.

14 Likes

I’ve just watched the open mic Mari and listened to you again here. What a great combination of songs! They go together really well, super idea to mash them up. Great fingerstyle versions from you and on an electric too which I find more difficult due to the string spacing being tighter. You did really well.

Your diy tele looks and sounds great. The fact that you made it yourself and it has some blemishes makes it truly a part of you. No wonder you love it.

You can pay a fortune for a brand new one that has been ‘aged’ but they always look a bit artificial.

1 Like

Thanks Gordon, I am so happy with this new guitar :slightly_smiling_face:

Wonderful philosophy, it will make you feel happy a lot easier than other people that are chasing perfectionist dreams.

What a cool guitar! the color scheme is great and the bird silhouets integrate well with the black pick guard. Tasteful choices. I’m not a fan of blue guitars but THIS is something else completely!
And you’re getting quite skilled at it as well!
Wonderful world? wonderful playing!

One remark though,
I think your guitar is somewhat out of tune when you played it here. The recording would have been even better with that fixed.

2 Likes

Thank you Lieven. And yes I hear it out of tune too, got to work on that.

1 Like

Mari, that performance was really good and song choice perfect. I love your guitar. It just seems to be a part of you already. Great color and theme. Starting to get an itch that I really don’t want to scratch. I’m sure that beauty will bring you much joy. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with us.

1 Like

Thank you Dave, those songs, and my new guitar, make my heart happy :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Really enjoyed the performance on the OM and here and great to be able to listen back already! :smiley:

I loved reading the thread when you first made the guitar and love the final finish. It sounds great too and the finger picking works really well, such a nice pairing of songs! :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you Al, it was quite a project, I’m very happy with the result. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Mari,

The guitar looks great.

Nice playing.
Wonderful World is one of my favourite songs. Love what you’ve done with it here.
Sounds super chilled. Proper Sunday morning stuff.

Digger

1 Like

Loved this at the OM, so more than happy to play it again. What a wonderful fusion worked really well. Playing and tone was magical.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Digger, Wonderful Workd has become one of my favourite songs now too! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you Toby, those songs mashed up pretty easily, different timings and all!

1 Like

Hi Mari,
Your guitar with this background really pops off the screen into my living room, beautiful. :star_struck:
And the song and how you play it is absolutely fantastically beautiful and every time wonderful world melody came along I got goosebumps and some moisture in my eyes… when your guitar is completely in tune and you play this then there be a tear down my cheek…beautifully beautiful (looking forward to your other version)…Thank you
:sunglasses: :clap: :bouquet: :man_bowing: :earth_africa: :rainbow: :rose: :clap:

1 Like

Was great at the OM and great in this recording too, really nice guitar, and will always be special for you.

1 Like

That was really something Mari, to see how nicely it plays after so much time spent on it must make you really proud and happy. Playing as always was really good and glad I managed to watch your performance yesterday as it was even better than this! All the best Mari!

1 Like

Hey Mari, the guitar looks and sounds fantastic… all that hard work has paid off threefold. Loved your mash up… two songs that really put a smile on my face and you did them both justice. Looking forward now to catching up on the OM performance.

1 Like

Thank you for all those lovely words, Rogier, that is really very nice. I’m really happy that I managed to learn this in time for finishing my guitar :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you Phil, yes this will definitely always be a special guitar for me. This is the only OM song so far that I didn’t look at the music sheet, although I did have it available (for WW, not for the first part though), so hopefully I will always remember this song too. Or at least when I’m in a guitar store browsing … :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Adi, it also makes me very happy to have friends who are so willing to help me out! Rocking out on it is in the plans (bluesing out actually, if that were a word!), but this mashup was the perfect first song :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like