You're Still the One | Shania Twain | March AVOYP

I never thought it would come to this, but here it is: my first AVOYP&S. Yep, I finally took the plunge and had a go at Playing & Singing. :hear_no_evil:

It sure feels like a milestone, and I actually found it quite fun and insightful. It took me a while to figure out the key that enables me to sing comfortably and play some nice chord variations and embellishments.

I’ve been following Chris Liepe’s Discover Your Voice course for a couple of months now and that has dramatically improved several aspects of my singing. More on that in my learning log. I obviously still have a long way to go to, but for a first recording I think it’s not that bad.

It’s a live recording with some basic EQ, compression and reverb to get a properly balanced mix (what a pain that was!). Afterwards I did another audio take with separate vocals and guitar, just so I could compare it to a live take. Both the playing and singing are way better when I can concentrate on one thing at a time. But I want to be able to perform live, so that’s what you’re getting.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

22 Likes

Really enjoyed that Jeff. Lovely controlled vocal and very nice guitar.

1 Like

Not bad at all Jeff!
Congrats on youre first AVOYP :clap: you can be proud of this.
Guitar sounded great. Nice voice too. Liked it a lot better than the original…
great job.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,
That was good playing and singing is also wow, :clap: :sunglasses: :clap:
The only thing that distracted me a bit throughout the song is the g-note on the b string… it is too present and a bit pushed out of tune sometimes, (well ,that`s what i am guess)
Greetings

1 Like

Hey Jeff

It’s tough to get used to playing and singing at the same time. You’ve done fabulously here.

My advice is just to continue to do what you’re doing. You have all the elements that you need to perform live. Just a question of smoothing out the vocal and playing together.

You just need to put yourself in “repeat cycle” mode with half a dozen tunes and you’ll have a little “live set” you can play for friends at parties or a BBQ or open mics or whatever you fancy.

With repetition you’ll be able to relax into the playing a bit more and once you’re confident with that, attention can turn to relaxing into the vocal. If you have the vocal and the guitar track separately, one approach might be to sing along to the guitar track, This way you can practice the two things separately and then bring them together again simultaneously and see how it goes.

You’ll find that for some song the vocal and the guitar fit quite naturally and easily together and others are much harder to “mesh”. My suggestion would be to focus on thos that seem to come together easier at the beginning.

Anyway hope that is helpful. Looking forward to seeing more of VOYP(and S’ing)!!

Enjoy!

Jeremy

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

that was very well done, congrats on your first post playing and singing! :smiley:

Well, it is a milestone to achieve, especially for those where singing doesn’t come that naturally. You can be proud of what you achieved here. It sounded really good already and surely, all the efforts you put into Chris’ course pays off nicely here. Your voice sounds pleasant to my ear. :slight_smile:

During playing, also to my ears, one of the high notes sounded a little out of tune occasionally, once at the beginning and towards the end, I think. But remaining sounded fine, great guitar tone and your playing is fine, too, as we know. Also when adding on the singing. :+1:

I really enjoyed your performance and am truly looking forward to hearing more of you singing. It’s as Jeremy says, the more often you do it, the more you get used to it and relax into it. So win-win for all of us. :smiley:

1 Like

Cheers everyone.

@roger_holland @Lisa_S I agree with the high notes being sharp from time to time.

During practice I noticed that when I’m singing I have a tendency to grip the guitar harder than usual. Maybe it’s the added nerves, or maybe because I’m concentrating so hard on the vocals that I’m overcompensating the guitar part.

Anyway, I only heard it in the mix because the guitar was pretty low in my in-ear monitors. The metronome and my voice was pretty much all I heard. That’s something I’ll have to adjust next time.

2 Likes

Nice rendition of a great song. Going to have to put this on the to do list👍

1 Like

Hey Jeff

Bit different to rippin’ up the fretboard isnt it?
Thought you did pretty well mate. Sounded pretty good to me on a song that I wouldn’t have immediately thought ‘Jeff’. Now I wanna here an ACDC or similar from ya :guitar:.

Cheers, Shane

1 Like

Hi Jeff, mate that was solid, I really liked the sound and delicate approach. Well done :+1:

Great guitar work mate :clap:

Just be careful of that mic cable it’s getting a bit tight into the mic :+1: (sorry, occupational hazard :laughing:)

1 Like

My first thought with seeing “Shania Twain” with “Jeff” was: what is going on here? I thought Sabbath was more your style. Then I saw it was singing!

Well done mate. It’s nerve wracking to post singing. Something about it is immensely personal compared to playing an instrument.

I enjoyed it. Congrats.

1 Like

Some solid playing there Jeff, singing was good, and the more you do it will become easier. Where is the ‘windmill’? :smiley:

1 Like

That was excellent Jeff. Singing while playing is definitely a leap. I really liked the picking on the intro & outro.

1 Like

Congratulations on your first AVOYP&S Jeff, you certainly wouldn’t know it if you take what I mean!
Upwards and onwards and always progressing, awesome mate. :clap:

1 Like

This is great Jeff :exclamation: Solid playing. Good and in tune voice. Great :exclamation: Love it :exclamation: If this is the first AVOYP… imagine the futur… :pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

Thanks Luc but I’ve shared AVOYP before. This is my first AVOYP&S (… and singing). :wink:

Shana Twain is not one of my favorite artist. However, I really enjoy your version. Actually more than the original one. So, thumbs up to you :+1: Great performance and singing. Really well put together :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice, Jeff. Your singing was absolutely fine so now you have to keep it up. You did the song in your style which I enjoyed just as much as the original.

1 Like

Hello Jeff, congrats on this so important milestone! I really enjoyed your recording, I thought both the playing and the singing were very good.

So relatable!

1 Like

Hey Jeff,
Really nice job and well done! Your vox is great and so is Chris L. He has helped so many on here. I call him the Justin Guitar of vocals!

Very enjoyable to listen to. You might consider posing your other version of this and let folks take them both in.

Mixing work is that, work! But you can learn to enjoy it as it helps perfect your recordings so much. If you want to play live, recording and mixing helps in so many ways. In the end you want your live sound as close to your studio sound as you can make it. I think you sound good in this vid and again, nice job!

Take good care,
LB