Alex's Learning Log

I think there is time later for that to be honest. I think Grade 2 was more of an introduction to fingerstyle as I’ve had spend time learning outside of the Grade 2 material. I have to admit I’m eager to see you playing something else with that new acoustic guitar that you got yourself. Likewise you’re probably eager to see me playing something on that electric that I got myself.

2 Likes

Funny I have one of the beginner songbooks but I never use it. But the rock one looks like a linear progression of difficulty and a list of songs to learn, which appeals. Quite a few times recently I’ve jumped into songs that are a bit beyond where I’m at right now. So the progression kind of appeals. Also I want to learn more electric songs, I play my acoustic more than electric but the kind of music I listen to is usually played on electric :slight_smile:.

I share the same sentiment JK. I find Alexis posts inspiring me learn more electric songs.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think we’ve seen anything with your ES yet! it’s criminal, that beauty deserves to be heard! :slight_smile:

Yeah, there is definitely something to the progression of songs. I’m having some trouble with La Grange but I’m confident that I’m at the level to play it simply because Justin put it in this section of the songbook. It’s good to not have to keep asking myself if I’m ready to play this.

similar to you guys I feel like all the acoustic songs I hear around here makes me want to try out an acoustic song or 2. Maybe when I get a mic good enough to record one, I’ll take a quick detour and play/post one.

1 Like

It certainly is mate. That shall have to be resolved.

Yes and its a true marker of progression. Quite a few of the songs in those books are really for progressive beginners. If you look at the video lesson category you will see some are labelled grade 3/4. So if you think about it you’re actually playing beyond grade 2 level. Now that’s an achievement to note in your learning log.

1 Like

September 10th, 2022

How it’s been going:
Consolidation complete! I’ve been consolidating for 3 whole months! It feels like longer, mostly because I’ve played and learned so much since finishing grade 2. I’ve learned, preformed/recorded, and posted 8 rock songs in my consolidation months.

What I’ve been Playing:

1. Highway to Hell - AC/DC

2. Every Rose Has Its Thorns - Poison

3. If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next - Manic Street Preachers

4. La Grange - ZZ Top

5. In Bloom - Nirvana

6. Whips and Chains - Troy Stetina

7. Tales From The Crypt - Troy Stetina

8. Tao Of Metal - Troy Stetina

The Plan:
Grade 3 of course! I’m starting Monday actually. Tomorrow I might take a small break from actually playing guitar and I’ll watch the first grade 3 module videos. Starting grade 3 doesn’t mean I’ll stop my Rock study with Justin’s Rock songbook or stop Troy Stetina’s metal guitar method. Grade 3 doesn’t give any particular song learning recommendations like Grade 2 so I’ll just incorporate what I’ve already been doing into my grade 3 practice schedule.

New Gear/Purchases:
Bought a new songbook! I wanted something that I could work on separate from Troy’s main method and Justin’s rock songbook. Something from a specific band. So I chose one of my favorites, the Foo Fighters:

I’m usually weary of tab books since I’ve heard they can be inaccurate but these were actually transcribed by Troy Stetina who I trust did a good job. These I’ll take slow, do a song if I get stuck on one of the main things I’m doing.

4 Likes

Bravo and congrats, Alex. Enjoy grade 3 and your ongoing rocking out.

1 Like

Congratulations Alexis. You should be really proud of how far you have come along. Yes, tab books can be inaccurate, just trust your ears. Enjoy Grade.

1 Like

Hi Alexis, well done completing Grade 2, paving the way as ever!
You’re obviously keen to get going in Grade 3.
Go for it!
🎸 David

1 Like

Congrats Alexis,
How nice if you are so structured and focused on not everything at once (can you focus on everything at once???)…have fun and I will continue my chaotic learning path…
:partying_face: :clap:
Greetings,…

1 Like

Great thread Alex, just scanned it all. I admire your dedication to the log! I’m working on consolidating grade 3 right now and I’m curious how your experience will be. The material is excellent btw, but you already know that :wink:

Best regards
Bill

Hi Alex, congratulations for completing Grade 2. Keep doing a good job into Grade 3.

October 12th, 2022

How it’s been going:
It’s been over a month since my last learning log, wow! Since then, I’ve started Justin’s grade 3 but have only finished 1 module. This is due to me spending most of my daily hour of practice on songs, but I do plan on moving on to the 2nd grade 3 module sometime this week as well. I also finished chapter 4 in Troy Stetina’s Metal Rhythm Guitar method which has been great!

I also was an audience member at the last Justinguitar OM. Seeing other community members playing and showing off their talent has been really inspiring. I plan to show up in the audience when I can and hopefully one day perform.

What I’ve been Playing:

• Rock and Roll All Nite - I posted this a couple of weeks back, but this song is really great! Fun to play and uses some great rock techniques. AVOYP
  • Rock ‘N’ Roller - By far the hardest song I’ve learned to play. This is the chapter 4 song for Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol. 1. I’ve been averaging about a month from starting a chapter in this book to posting an AVOYP for it but this one took a whole 2 weeks longer. I’m really happy with how it turned out, mistakes and all. AVOYP
  • There She Goes - This is the song I’m currently working on for my Justinguitar rock study. This is also taking me longer than usual to get correct for 2 reasons: one, the main riff is played continuously throughout the song, so it requires me to play accurately for more time than I had done in the past. Two, Justin’s rock song book gets you about 90% there. There are too many variations for Justin to put in the book or in the video, so I’ve been trying to get those by ear. I have most of the song but not 100% I feel like I’ll be ready to post this by the end of the month though. Maybe early November.

The Plan:
Speaking of November, I’m going to be going on a short weekend vacation next month, so I won’t be able to play for 3 whole days! That may not seem like a lot, but I have picked up my guitar every single day since I started playing in January. Going to be weird not being able to pick it up and at least muck around.

Besides that, I’m planning on continuing what I’ve been doing with Justin’s Grades, Troy’s Metal Guitar method, and Justin’s rock songbook study. Regarding Troy’s method, I can’t believe I only have 2 chapters left of Volume 1. It’s crazy to think about but I’ve been learning from that book for 4 or 5 months now. I have Volume 2 to look forward to after and I have 3 books on metal lead from him so plenty of “content” to get through. I expect that I’ll catch up with Justin’s grade 3 posting soon enough so I’m glad there’s still plenty for me to learn from even after I hit that point. Not to mention Justin’s intermediate grade stuff that I could get into.

Anyway, I’ve rambled on long enough. Until next time…

2 Likes

Good update Alex, your playing keeps getting better. Your focus on songs seems to be working pretty well I’d say.

I’ve found grade 3 a LOT slower than grade 2, it’s taken more time to embed each of the techniques and set pieces. So I’d be curious to hear what you think as you go through it.

Do that OM, do it… :joy:

1 Like

Yeah I also think it’s going to take me much longer to get through this than the previous 2 grades as well. Justin doesn’t have specific songs to work on for each module so it does give me room to work on all the songs I’ve been working on.

I want to for sure! I get that red light fever bad when I’m recording my self and I can’t imagine how it’ll be in front of people lol. Still I suspect I’ll try to get to it by my year 1 guitarversery.

Great update, Alexis. I wouldn’t worry so much about your song practice impacting on your progression through Grade 3 modules as the songs you are learning and the way you break them down into specific practice items is really developing and extending your skills and techniques. Just keep doing what you are doing as its working for you.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, Alexis. You are an inspiring student, rocking ahead. Enjoy the mini-break.

1 Like

Your LL was a fascinating read Alexis. I once asked my nephew who’s a fantastic guitarist how long it took to become good at guitar and he said it depends on how badly you want it and how much effort you’re willing to put into it - I think it can be said that you prove that statement to be true, it’s impressive how far you’ve come in such a short space of time.

December 22nd, 2022

How it’s been going:
It’s been a whole 2 months since my last update wow! I’ve been extremely busy workwise for the last 2 months and just haven’t had much time to practice let alone post an update here (I work at a university so Fall semester is always extremely busy). I still have picked up the guitar most days but just noodling and less focused practice (I also had the flu and a vacation that prevented me from playing for 2 whole weeks!). Things are dying down though, so I hope to get right back to where I left off.

What I’ve been Playing:

• On the Prowl - Song 5 in Troy Stetina’s Metal Rhythm guitar volume 1. I love this song and plan this to probably be my next AVoYP which should also coincide with my 1-year anniversary of starting the guitar!
  • Self Esteem - This Offspring song is the next song in Justin’s Rock songbook. I pretty much have this one down but I’m trying to focus on getting On the Prowl as good as I can for my next AVoYP so I’ll wait until after that to refine and post it.

The Plan:
I plan on really starting to get back into focused practice this week and this learning log is step 1 for me to do that. I’m learning On the Prowl from Metal Rhythm Guitar Vol. 1 which is actually a perfect yearlong anniversary song to play. It has a ton of guitar techniques and specifically rock techniques that I’ve learned the entire year including Chords - open, open power and power chords, Vibrato, string bending, Staccato, off beat accents, and hammer on/pull offs. It’s a really ambitious song for me but I think I can do it. I’ll probably list out all of the techniques and point out where they are in the song in the post since it’s my 1-year progress post.

So that’s out there in the universe! I will post this song sometime in January (I started playing back on January 6th of this year, wow) if all goes well.

4 Likes

Sounds like a fun song to play. I bought Metal Rhythm guitar vol. 1 as well, thanks again for the advice a while back! Currently at Whips and Chains, fortunately not too difficult once sliding power chords starts feeling more comfortable.

1 Like