Ambient soundscape practice?

I’m interested in improvising ambient soundscapes any recommendations for practice exercises or anything !!!

5 Likes

Hi Jason, can’t help … not even sure what an ‘ambient soundscape’ is :laughing:

2 Likes

@DavidP a couple of definitions

Ambient music is a form of instrumental music that accentuates texture, tone, mood, and atmosphere . It does not contain the formal melodies or steady rhythms found in most popular music, opting instead to craft ambience from waves of aural textures

​Ambient Soundscapes is a beatless, light and mindful voyage into ambient music. A contrast to the chaos, noise, loudness and sound pollution, painting a quiet image in a moment of stillness

Jason I have never tried playing over this type of track but used them for sleep aids or meditating. If you have some impro experience I would just experiment and go with the flow, keep on G B e and just see where it takes you. Some chorus and delay would add to the general fluidity of these types of tracks but again experiment. Sounds like a cool project and there should be plenty of material out in the YouTube world. Look forward to hearing how it pans out, as I am now intrigued but really don’t need more :rabbit: :hole: right now.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

@DavidP

Try this for size but not if you are driving :rofl:

2 Likes

https://community.justinguitar.com/t/ambient-night-loop/3933?u=roger_holland

@DavidP and @TheMadman_tobyjenner I immediately thought of @CT
Is that the same idea?

Greetings…

2 Likes

You might take a look at synth pedals. Something like this.

6 Likes

More synth pedals.

3 Likes

I like volume swells…

4 Likes

This is a bit long and it’s on Bass rather than guitar but everything is the same if you use an octave pedal on guitar. She’s a friend of mine who is helping me with learning to play Bass, she does a lot of solo ambient music improvisation and always ends her posts with something interesting. This gives you an idea on FX and improvisation, there are also quite a few more interesting pieces on her YouTube channel!

5 Likes

Interesting lesson on basic ambient chords played over a spacey drone.

3 Likes

In terms of kit I would suggest a looper capable of multiple layers and several fx including delay and reverb.

Arpeggiating chords.
Linear playing of scales along single strings, perhaps with an open string as a pedal tone.

5 Likes

@TheMadman_tobyjenner sounds good Toby, pleasant background while one works away at this and that.

3 Likes

Thanks Toby for the definitions! If it’s beatless it might be for me :laughing:

3 Likes

This guy has a whole channel on ambient guitar:

https://youtube.com/@chordsoforion

Also has albums on Spotify, including one called “Wood”, which has some lovely ambient acoustic pieces.

1 Like

@DarrellW Is this not the same Cici from Andertons channel? And you are friends with her? How cool is that!

2 Likes

More acquaintances, but getting that way! But yeah, that’s her!

1 Like

I see lots of good suggestions have already been made. I dabble in this occasionally, but then realise I should really be practising more meaningful stuff.

Think reverb and delay to get started.
Big thing is finding pedals that have the options to produce more ambient sounds. Pedals that allow you to control the dry/wet signal mix are pretty key.

I’d quite like to try the new Strymon Cloudburst for this kind of thing, but I’m trying to avoid spending any more on guitars stuff just now.

1 Like

I also thought I recognized her from the Andertons channel. I often watch the videos she does but often end up a bit annoyed with the other chap she presents with, as it seems to me that she sometimes can’t get a decent word in edgeways…

2 Likes

WOW!
Thanks all for replies. I got a lot of great info!!!
I have a looper and delay pedal that i finally played with the other day and had so much fun. I need to get reverb pedal. (Reverb not on my amp). I got video of me messing around to add to my guitar journal. 1st looper and delay practice. If you would call it that - YouTube

1 Like

Learned something new today, I had no idea about what ambient soundscape was and definitely I have to try this volume swells!!

3 Likes