Anyone I used to know?

Hello? … Rich? … Dan? … Lieven? … TB-AV? … Zapped? … Anyone I used to know?

I used to know my way around here. Came back to reconnect … but it’s so cold … all subject headers, with no names, no personalities.

I miss you lads … Where are you?

2 Likes

Welcome back Simon, long time. The new forum takes a little getting used to. I’m sure you’ll see a lot of familiar friends. Richard and Lieven are still running the show, TB-AV went awal about 5 years ago, Dan Graves never migrated over to the new forum and neither did Zapped.

1 Like

Stitch! … Bloody hell, Rick … good to see an old, familiar name. You’re not kidding about getting used to it, amigo; It seems so impersonal. It has been a long time … but I’m so sick of the distraction that is social media, I need to reconnect with something that’s genuinely important … Music and guitars.

You know … I found old saved text files of posts that Zapped had posted on theory and scale/chord connections … damn that mofo knew his shizz … and that’s what I’ve been working on. It’s what prompted me to come in from the cold.

Effin’ great to see your name pop up on my screen, mate … Makes me realise … I’m old … but I got backup :smile:

4 Likes

Hey Simon, another old forum member, been around since 2013/2014. Sadly lost TB-AV after a nasty troll incident, which thankfully have always been rare. There quite a few old residents still loitering but sadly, some good folk never made it across the bridge and some valued knowledge was lost. Plus a few folks also felt overwhelmed with the changes and either dropped out or now hang around in the shadows. I liken it to moving from an old village to a big city. But we have seen some new a good regulars join up and continue the ethos of helping those treading this old familiar road. After all we are all just treading the same path, just a different spot on the road.

Welcome back, stick around and see how things pan out.

Cheers

Toby

1 Like

Now there’s a name that rings bells :grin: Hey Toby! … A troll incident? … OK … That’s bad. You’re right that they were rare. I mean, we generally got right on with things once Justin decided to shut down the ‘Politics and Religion’ section (remember that? :smile:) of the community, but that’s a bit of a bugger!

I’m not averse to the new though, fella … So looking forward to reconnecting and hopefully contributing.

Thanks for the shout out, mate … good to hear from you!

2 Likes

Hi Simon,
Welcome to the new community.

It’s a bit different from the old one, but still a good place to hang out.

Cheers,

Keith

2 Likes

Wishbone?! Daaaayum welcome back :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey Simon, welcome back! :smiley:
I don’t recall you from the old forum, but I was only there for about four years, and a complete newbie. (Did you have the cool logo there too?)
I can’t believe there used to be a politics & religion section :open_mouth: Was there a swearing section too?
The new site becomes navigable quite quickly and most of the folk from the old forum seem to have migrated. The biggest difference for me is how threads disappear so quickly due to the amount of new posts. It can be hard to keep up.
At the risk of sounding like I’m teaching my granny to suck eggs, at some stage you might want to give a quick introductory post
It’d be cool for those of us who don’t know (can’t remember) you to hear a bit of your journey.
Oh yeah, and thank you for your participation in the early years to make this even possible today :pray:

There are still a few… :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi Keith … Yeah … Everything’s so shiny :grin: … I’ll settle in, mate. It’s nice to see old names popping up again.

1 Like

Hey, Lieven … Long time, mate … and thank you! :grin:

1 Like

Hi Brian.

Yeah … The ‘Politics and Religion’ sub forum was the swearing section :grin: It absolutely had to be closed, for all the reasons you can think of. It was distracting from talk of guitars and music.

Good point, actually. I’ll stick my head into introductions later in the day and rattle off a little spiel. Thanks for the welcome, mate!

Well here’s news … welcome back my dear old friend. It’s great to see you come back in through the always-open door Simon. I hope you’ve been keeping well, and playing, still blasting out some rock n roll at slightly above sensible volume levels! :slight_smile:
There are a few stalwarts and long-timers who you’ll know.
The Community is bigger and, I’m delighted to say, does continue to run with the supportive, friendly and pay-it-forward ethos as it always had. It is just bigger and there are more sections and more people.

The most notable developments / navigation guides you may want to know about.

When you view the Community by Categories, there is a simple organisation structure.

The first six sections are mainly driven by and for the members.

The 6th is where you will find a whole range of tip topics from Lieven and myself.

The next six sections are website related or connected to subscription courses (Strumming & Theory).

Below that are sections for each of the many courses, lessons, areas of the ever expanding and improving website. Too many to mention.

For a few years the Community have been running regular online open mic events, a major success and a real source of engagement and excitement for everyone involved.

Clubs is a more recent development. Lieven, myself and Lee are three of the Approved Teachers and we offer free sessions on a range of topics every other week.

Other than that, general questions and AVOYP and all the usual are as popular and busy as always. We continue to be blessed with raw beginners brave enough to share their early fumblings and asking for constructive feedback up to very experienced players sharing their love of the instrument and their latest achievement at learning a song or musical piece.

Moderator wise, Lieven - who has been here forever) continues to be a bedrock of all that is good. I’m still around. And we have DavidP as a third good-guy.

The new forum software has greater functionality - one of which is the super useful tag feature by typing @ in front of someone’s user name.

@Wishbone71

2 Likes

Hello, Amigo! … And thank you for the welcome back. I’m just pottering about the community sections now and finding my way around.

Yeah … there’s no such thing as a ‘Sensible’ volume level. As I think Lemmy said, “If it’s too loud, you’re too old” :grin: Still got all my old guitars … still moddinbg like crazy … and added a not so sensible amount of gear to the collection. I’d love to help where I can from a technical standpoint too; there are so many hacks on social media who are too quick to advise five full turns on the truss rod to anyone asking about fret buzz, it’s scary. Got fed up correcting them.

So here I am … where I remember we never all agreed all the time … but none of us had to put up with too many fools the likes of FB throw at you.

Thanks for the warm welcome back, Rich … Much appreciated.

3 Likes

Ooo, what a pity that I was present on the old forum just too short a time to experience the politics and religion section. :roll_eyes: :grin:

Hi Simon ,

Welcome and it took a while for you to come back ,but beter late than never :sunglasses:, and about the huge crowds on this forum… even in a busy city there are small villages/groups where it is cozy to stay … Have fun :smiley:
Greetings ,Rogier

1 Like

Thank you, and greetings to you also, Rogier … oh yes … That sub forum was wild :grin:

1 Like

Hey Simon, I’ve never been on the old forum, but wanted to say hello and welcome to the new community, which is a great friendly and supportive place! Sure, you’ll discover that in no time. Have a good start here, I’m already curious about your “Old Dog’s Knowledge”. I’m only 2+ years in, so there’s a lot to learn… :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Helen … and thank you! … I’m 35 years in now … and still so much to learn! Music certainly hath charms … and having a guitar in hand is indeed the best of them :grin:

1 Like

Hello, and welcome back Simon. Only been around about 4 years, so we’ve never met.
Looking forward to your valuable input, and you’re playing. Here’s hoping you’re a bit of a bluesman, as I’m always lookin to sponge, borrow, steal, great ideas off experienced players :sunglasses:.

Cheers, Shane

3 Likes

Blue Öyster Cult Lemmy sound levels, gear/modding…
I’d say hold on tight :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Shane, and thank you! … Sponging, borrowing and stealing great licks and phrases is exactly how the great Bluesmen filled their trick bags … So you’re definitely doing it right, there :grin:

I love Blues, mate … the way I’ve always seen it, if you can listen to Otis Rush’s 'I can’t quit you baby", and the hairs on your neck don’t stand up, you’re dead inside :wink:

1 Like