Aussie Classic - Reckless by James Reyne

Hi Justineer’s
It has been sometime since I have been on the group.
Lots of stuff been going on, a few gigs, sons 40th bash, grandkids and life in general.
Anyway, I have started back doing some covers. I have decided to do an Aussie classic series so here is my first effort…Reckless by James Reyne.
All feedback welcome.
Cheers
Ron
[https://youtu.be/1qVNUgedH4E]

13 Likes

Good to hear from you again, Ron.

Sounding polished as always. Good use of the Play Acoustic (I assume). Not sure about the background percussion, I know ‘less is more’ generally good but I think maybe a little more or none?

Did you intend to type ‘series’ there or something else I am missing?

1 Like

Hi David,
So you think the drums a bit low?
I fixed the serious series :joy:.
Thx for the pickup on that.
Auto spell me thinks…:thinking:

1 Like

I had another listen playing back through my AI and mixing headphones, Ron. All I am hearing is a click sound. If it is a more full drum backing then I think it is too low, even if just a hihat. But maybe that is just my playback.

1 Like

Hi Ron,

beautiful rendition! Very well done. :+1: :clap:
Great singing and playing (as usual), lovely tone and round finish of the whole production. But I agree to David, the percussion could have been a little louder for me as well. But all in all, it’s a great performance! :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to the series (that’s hopefully not too serious :rofl:)!

Thanks for sharing this one.

Cheers - Lisa

2 Likes

@RonG, Mate, incredible sound is all I can say. Absolutely inspirational :+1:. As a fellow antipodean and newcomer to the recording journey do you mind sharing how this was recorded? Ie: at a guess the main guitar and vocal along with video was recorded together as one then the added vocal was put in afterwards ?

The sound to me was exceptional. I’m playing around with recordings atm and I’d be ecstatic if I could get a sound even close to this good.

Look forward to more Ron :+1:

1 Like

Thx for feedback David. Yes it is too low. I can’t remix as it was done as single recording but I will up the persuasions for the next one. Cheers.

1 Like

Thank you Lisa. I agree regarding percussion and will fix for next song.
Cheers
Ron

1 Like

Hi Craig,
Thank you for your feedback. Glad you enjoyed it. :smiley:
My recording setup at the moment is as follows…
My guitar and mic go through my TC Helicon Play Acoustic FX pedal.
Through that I select both the initial VOX and guitar sounds I am looking for. Best pedal I have ever bought myself. Use it at all my gigs.
I then run the mic out and guitar out from the TC Helicon into my Scarlet 2i2 interface which is connected to my iPad Pro.
I record the video and mix straight into an App on my iPad called “Impact” by Focusrite. This App also allows me to adjust some final FX on voice and guitar before I save the final video to my photos album on the iPad.
All the Final Cut is done in iMovie before I publish on my YouTube channel.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Ron
P.S. I missed my beatbuddy mini2 which is for the percussions/drums. This is connected to my TC guitar input. My guitar goes through the beatbuddy and then into the TC.

2 Likes

Hi Ron, that’s great thanks for sharing, definitely produces a great sound although I suspect with playing and vocals that good you don’t need much help :+1:
Thanks again

1 Like

No problem. I hope it helps you along your journey. :smiley:

1 Like

Ron, have you considered connecting the beatbuddy to the TC as an aux input? I don’t know how that pedal works but maybe using it as an aux would offer more control on the mix, it being a separate source?

Hope you don’t mind …

@CD02 Craig, if you are not in the Appleverse, then an option to consider for direct recording in a Windows PC/laptop environment is OBS. Quite a few people use it in the Community. Not sure of what gear you have. You can start recording with just a webcam into OBS. Then fairly straight forward to improve audio quality using an Audio Interface (like the Scarlett 2i2 that Ron uses) as the audio source. Finally, to take it even further, you could add additional audio sources into OBS to include backing.

2 Likes

@DavidP
Hi David,
Thanks Mate. I am using PC and I had seen OBS discussed in several threads, it was where I was heading so its good to have your confirmation of direction :+1:

Recently I merely tried out a vocal/guitar track just using Audacity with guitar through my Katana to the PC with vocal added afterwards with a basic headset direct through the PC USB. I was encouraged enough to look into this further so the plan is to go with Reaper and OBS and back these up with a 2i2, Gen5 NT1, Shure SM58 and some decent headphones. I already have a Boss RC1 which is my jam buddy :+1:

I’m thinking this should see me good for a very long time… :joy: All I need to do now is get back to focusing on learning to play better guitar :grin:

2 Likes

@CD02 Sounds good Craig. Depending on what you want to do you may find the additional complications of using Reaper aren’t needed for the initial forays. You can post questions for further discussion (if and when necessary) in :computer: Hardware, Software & Recording

1 Like

Hi Ron, I’m always looking forward to your recordings as I know, I’ll be in for a treat. And you didn’t disappoint :hugs:. Such a wonderful rendition of this song. I’m not familiar with it but enjoyed it a lot :blush:.
Guitar and vox are in such a harmony - simply amazing.
Such a pity that all of your gigs take place in Australia and not in Austria. I’d sit front row :smiley:.

1 Like

Thanks David,
I had a look at some of the Reaper videos, I feel pretty comfortable with it, will give the trial version a spin first though :+1:

1 Like

Not an artist I know but your cover sounded great,both guitar and singing

1 Like

Thank you so much Nicole for you lovely words of encouragement.
I am considering doing a live stream on my YouTube Channel at some point in the future. If you are interested I will try and do it at a time that accommodates Austria. No5 sure when but I will announce it on this group. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Ron, oh, that’s such a lovely offer :star_struck:. Doing a livestream is a wonderful idea, and if I could make it then, that would be great. But honestly, don’t try to make the event’s time fit to Austrian time conditions. This might cause, that you loose some potential spectators from Australia. I don’t want to be the reason for that :see_no_evil:. But please keep me informed when you’ve fixed a date :smiley:.

1 Like

Amazing cover of this classic Ron. Your playing and vocals sounded great all round.

1 Like