Blues Immersion - Justin mentioned a blues course starting in June - could we please have some more info on that?

Looks a great course. Right up my alley. Now, off to sell my soul for the required $ AUS750. :japanese_ogre:ā€¦

Cheers Shane

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad they released the FAQ, answered a lot of questions.

Still not sure itā€™s for me though, seems like thereā€™s a lot of focus on old school blues rather than modern blues rock, which is more my thing.

@jkahn Makes sense for Justin to start at the beginning of the blues and work forward. Maybe youā€™ll see a modern blues course in the future.

I wonder how it will compare to the blues lead module in grade 4. This grade 4 module is definitely fun, but it does not seem intensive/ long enough to develop a big confidence in my lead playing. It seems more like an introduction.

Based on the FAQ, the new course seems to want to fill that gap with more structure and guidance.

Talk about regret not starting much earlier. Recommend to be in grade 4 wow, well that susks lol

This actually makes perfect sense JK. There is a lot of cross over and foundation building.

From the early Delta Blues (steady thumb) stuff Iā€™ve learned from David Hamburger and Justin Solo Blues course, you see the melody lines and licks appear in later stuff, faster or evolved. Lots of pieces usual played in the first 5 or 7 frets. So change the Key from A to E whack it 7 or 8 frets up the neck and lots of ah moments when lower register lines are then moved way up the neck to where the show boating takes place. I have seen this a lot with the Blues courses I have done with Corey Congillio and Jeff McErlain and a lot of licks you donā€™t normally associate with being played down by the nut in the ā€œearlyā€ Blues.

Each generation listened, learnt, developed and expanded from the generation before and it looks like that is the route Justin is taking with the course,

I was learning as new acoustic Blues piece this week and ignoring the steady bass, one of the licks was straight out of John Lee Hookers playbook !

I know places are limited but I am dusting down Justinā€™s Old Blues Rhythm and Lead courses over the next few days in anticipation of the prep work and whatā€™s to follow. My only concern is my slow fingers but it could be what they need.

Hoping to get on board but heck could be a lottery folks.

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Not revisited this for a few years but know it was reshot, when the Grades were created I think. Always founds this very lick centric but the the BLIM looks to be more about construction and how it all hangs together. I would suggest Justinā€™s BL 1 & 2 and his Blues Rhythm combined with added spice !

:sunglasses:

That makes a lot of sense Toby. Got me a bit tempted now. I think I will wait for the class opening to decide if itā€™s for me.

1 Like

True. The registration page will probably have a promo video showing cool songs that will make it hard to skip the course. :rofl:

Oh, not for beginners ā€¦ :flushed:
OK. So I guess Iā€™m out, because Iā€™m still consolidating Grade 2.

Maybe there will be a second course starting in 6 or 12 months?
In the meantime Iā€™ll start with Grade 3 and have some more fun with my power chords :sunglasses:

The content looks great! Iā€™d really love to join the course one day :smiley:

Wishing all Blues students who are going to start in July loads of fun and success.
Have a great time :notes: :guitar:

1 Like

For your information, Mondayā€™s Tuesdayā€™s blues club will include an in-depth look at the blues immersion program.

1 Like

Hi Mathieu

Not Monday, Tuesday.

2 Likes

Oups ! Thanks Mal for the correction :slight_smile:

Mathieu, thanks for bringing this session to our attention. I missed it somehow either in my email our the Community thread. Yes this will give more info as to whether Iā€™m actually ready for this Blues Immersion, Iā€™m sort of borderline ability, and donā€™t want to get over my head, and thereā€™s already plenty of content for me to learn as it is - Practical Music Theory and Guitar Grade Lessons.

@TheMadman_tobyjenner Wow, Toby, excellent note! Great information and a great demonstration of how the JG community members help each other to learn and grown, stay motivated, find additional material to study, etc. I appreciated the information you shared about styles and changes over the years and also the blues rhythm and blues lead segments currently available. Iā€™m in the same category with @magnanelli in that I have lots to learn and the BLIM course would be over my head. I do wish though that Iā€™d been participating in the blues club segments, though. Iā€™ll go back and see whatā€™s archived for blues club. As to my level, Iā€™m starting grade 2 and reviewing grade 1 after a 4-5 month procrastination. :thinking:

1 Like

I thought the Blues immersion course was going to be perfect for me until I saw the FAQs.
Iā€™ve learned to go with the programme and trust the teacher on Justiguitar
Soā€¦. When Justin says you MUST have an electric to do this course , that this course is NOT Suitable for acoustic playersā€¦. I have to go along with that.
Sigh, so with a heavy heart Iā€™ve decided not to sign up.
I guess the 2 and 3 semitone bends are going to be just too central
Instead Iā€™m going to revisit the already available blues material on the site, which is thorough and excellent anyways, and carry on substituting slides, hammers and smaller bends to get my acoustic blues in shape.
Plus Iā€™ll follow the song lessons as they become available on the site in the usual way.
I bought all the recommended albums (and plenty more besides ā€¦) via Music magpie.
The listening has been an important part of the journey
Final thing, to brush up on my Blues history Iā€™ll go over the excellent and free

1 Like

@Eccleshall Great information, Iā€™ll check out that UF class. If i may ask, what and where is the list of recommended albums? I definitely want to do the BLIM course when my skills and knowledge will allow it, playing blues has been my ultimate goal for guitar.

If you search for Justin Sandercoe on Spotify, you will find many of his blues playlist.

1 Like

The albums are mentioned in the grade 4-6 blues course lessons on the site.
From memory
Includes Robert Johnson complete recordings, Tbone Walker the original source, BBking live at the regal, Freddy king Hideaway, Albert king Born under. Bad Sign, Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood , Rory Gallagher Irish tour 74ā€¦.

1 Like

Agreed. Bit too rich for me although Iā€™m not sure I qualify anyway as not up to Grade 4. You could but nearly 3 guitars for the price of the course!! :slight_smile: