Blues Immersion - Justin mentioned a blues course starting in June - could we please have some more info on that?

Ruaridh

DM me if you need additional Acoustic Blues material/courses and I am sure James @Socio would share his go to educators. But I would certainly suggest Justin’s Solo Blue course which I think is still a one off purchase - first three “songs” used to be free. Its a bit in at the deep end but doable if you take it slow. With your OM displays though I think you’d be ok.
@Mari63 has also delved into the JSB from what I recall and has also seen you play and I suspect could advise.

If I manage to get a slot, I’ll still be doing my current Acoustic Blues courses and move on in the JSB as well, as it all overlaps along the line. What I will drop is Fingerstyle and Hard Rock/Metal and save them for next year.

Hope that helps.

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Appreciate the call out Kurt, I’ve been around a while. In fact when Justin rewrote everything I was post Beginners and Intermediate Course, had completed Master The Major Scale, CAGED and was half way through the old Blues Rhythm 1 & 2 and the last half of the old Blues Lead Courses. The rewrite threw me and I lost my way for while and found similar material Blues wise elsewhere.

Most of those course are now spread over Grades 4 5 & 6. And I have recently gone back to ground Zero and worked up through BG 1 2 3 and now on several Intermediate modules.
So my comments are based on well rounded experience with over 10 years with Justin and the many other helpful peeps here like @stitch and @Richard_close2u .

Age may be a factor but I think I have the palmares to give BLIM a go. Assuming I get in !

4 Likes

@Eccleshall hi Ruaridh, I’m following an acoustic blues path so have decided the Blues Immersion course probably isn’t for me. I did decide though to go to the next Blues Club to hear more about it, in case I change my mind. I do have a Strat, but I mostly play (and prefer) my acoustic. Justin’s Solo Blues Guitar course is excellent, and the cost is pretty low so it’s a product that’s fine to try even if you don’t follow it through, I think it was around $10 (USD). I haven’t actually worked on anything in it for awhile, but I did learn the first 4 pieces over a year ago, here they are if you want to see what level they’re at. Mari's Blues Studies - Slow Six Blues added Mar 12/23

One thing I would say is that these are really set pieces to learn, more than learning how to develop blues on your own and incorporate into other playing. That’s my level though I realized, and continual practice will at some point make it so it translates into my general playing, for being able to jam acoustic blues.

The video quality is also not the same as current lessons, but I don’t have an issue with that.

4 Likes

There’s also the preliminary song which still has the Young Mr Sandercoe lessons for it on his YouTube Channel.

1 Like

The pieces in the Blues Solo course are set pieces but the techniques are used in all kinds of blues songs Both acoustic and electric. @Mari63 I’d suggest taking the 4 pieces you’ve learnt and dissect then and try using different parts of each piece to come up with something on your own.

I recall Justin mentioning in one of his videos that he though people would explore more on there own when learning the techniques used in the Blues Solo course.

3 Likes

Guitar George says you’ll be more than fine with the BLIM course sensei.

That’s a good point, Rick, and something Justin recommends for the G3 Solo Blues Lesson too… a lot to be gained from doing so.

1 Like

Thank you James but you know I have that constant self doubt and that’s back in focus with BLIM on the horizon. GG was a hoot to play and fun to learn, especially the “on acid” version that followed ! I am going over all that material and more to get my heads straight in the run up. I did an hour of the Blues Rhythm 3:15hr DVD this morning, as I figure rhythm will also be a key feature and one that folks will over look. Plus learnt a new Ian Stich solo on his TF course after disappearing down a rabbit hole from one of his recent videos!
As @LievenDV keeps saying “its all about the rhythm” !

2 Likes

Thanks for that, Rick, I will spend some (a lot of) time in that.

1 Like

In 6 months, that could be us playing licks in all positions :open_mouth: ?

Hopefully, I’ll see many of you in the course.

Let me put my phone down and go back to my grade 4 pratice :rofl:

Indeed, to get results, I have to spend more time practicing than thinking about the BIM course. :rofl: :rofl:

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

1 Like

There’s a lot to take from the melody lines, ignoring the thumbed bass notes and using them all over the neck. Breaking them down or tagging an extra few notes on, changing the final note to turn an answer into another question. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m at the bare-minimum proficiency point for this. I will need to maintain a fair bit of dedication to do this. It is the price of a nice guitar! I really want to make sure I get the learning I need from this.

My timing and rhythm seems sufficient, but not mixing up where a finger needs to go is the rough one for me. I hope I can keep up.

I’m glad to see so many of the regulars on the forum planning to take this course. It will be nice to have familiar folks and especially folks active in the forums so we have plenty of discussions.

3 Likes

Considering his blues guitar styles course which has similar groupings I would say you’re onto something Watson. Maybe some Freddie King, Lightnin’ hopkins, Hubert Sumlin rhythm guitar etc.

1 Like

Throw some Elmore in there boy !

1 Like

Thanks Toby. I think 1+ years after I initially learned these pieces going back now it will be easier to learn something extra.

1 Like

And some stormy monday changes

1 Like

We need to get in through that front door first, I think the net is being thrown wide and yonder to attract folk to this one. Time will tell…

Also seems to be playlists on the JGC youtu.be channel :nerd_face:

1 Like

As long as they don’t use the onboarding results to filter the numbers down :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Well that well and truly burst my bubble ! Means I’d get to sign on in about 5 years !
:coffin: :coffin: :coffin: Any one for The Undertaker Blues. :rofl:

1 Like

I haven’t seen a class size yet. I hope we don’t have a mad dash to the sign-up and then leave folks that were asleep forced to wait for another course. On the other hand, a student population that is too big will really make it hard for Justin to increase the individual attention that it seems he wants to give.

1 Like