Bluetooth headphones, transmiter and Amp

Hi All,

I’ve been looking into headphone recently because of living in a flat but ran into an issue that I hadnt expected.

My otherhalf has some bluetooth headphones so got me a small BT transmitter, the cables are all stereo except the one from the guitar to amp lol,.

If I try the headphone on my ipad its mono and out from the amp its also mono.

Does anyone have an idea what I missed, do I need mono headphone where the signal is split to L/R?

R.

1 Like

A mono output should still be heard from both earphones. Can you borrow some cabled headphones to plug straight into your amp? That would tell you whether it’s a cable/amp issue, or whether it’s specific to the bluetooth setup.

1 Like

Bluetooth also has a lot of latency, it’s not really suitable for wireless guitar playing. Cabled headphones are the go… or there are a few ultra low latency wireless ones around but they’re not bluetooth.

2 Likes

I tried a couple of different configurations. the bt transmitter/receiver as its both.

if I use wireless headphones(plugged into) my ipad i get stereo
If I remove the cable and connect the bt device and pair with wireless headset I only get mono even though I’m using the same cable , I dont get that…

Rachel.

yes, I hear the mega delay lol…

I feel some new gear comming on. :slight_smile:

R.

For your iPad this is an easy fix, just follow this in Settings:

You can also use this to share EarPods, that’s how I found out!

1 Like

Time to get wired Rachel, that Bluetooth delay will make insane after a while !
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m only testing it on the Ipad thank, the issues is the Amp out to BT is also mono, which is no good to me. Trying to figure out why , I think @TheMadman_tobyjenner is right, get wired for sound :slight_smile:

R.

Just make sure you get cans with a decent cable length. My old Sennheiser’s have a 3m cable, which is great for playing standing up. I normally use my Shure SRH440 in front of the PC, (as the amp sits under the desk and my AI is just to the side), but swapped the stock coiled cable (they’re detachable) for a 2m extension for the same reason - and a further 2m extension in case I go all Wilko Johnson !! :rofl:

3 Likes

so a 10’ cabe should be ok…just checking Amazon came across these.

I like the idea of 2 jack plugs, could be handy

R.

1 Like

I’m guessing by mono, you mean you’re only getting sound in one ear?

Does the amp have a headphone output?
Normally I’d expect a headphone output to have a full TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve - aka stereo output connector), but if it’s a line out, it may only be a basic two contact Phone connector.

If that’s the case, what you’d need is a basic mono to stereo converter, which splits the single signal wire (tip) so it connects to the Tip and Ring of stereo connector.

However if the socket works with a pair of wired stereo headphones, it could be because of how the headphone socket is powered, which might not be compatible with the bluetooth receiver.

Yes

Yes

Its the Boss Katana 50

R.

Just looked at the specs and I see is a 1/4" stereo output.

Stupid question, but I’m guessing the BT transmitter is a 3.5mm connector?
What adapter are you using to go the 1/4", and is it a TRS adapter?

A random pic I just found -
Left is a TS (Tip Sleeve) connector which is mono, whereas the right is a TRS.

It could just be a faulty adapter.

1 Like

… and don’t get ones with a ‘curly’ cable as when you stand up or move further away, the tension in the wire will try to pull them off your head.

Edit. Also have a look here. Recommendations for headphones please (resolved)

1 Like

It can be. If my wife wants to listen to me playing, she can just plug her earphones into mine and she hears what I hear. Can also be used to watch movies together using a mobile device on a plane or whatever.

I have the right side image and a few of them, I’ll try again tomorrow but i suspect their fine ass my attempt with the ipad doesn’t use a jack, its just straight connection with either the headphones or the BT device.

Ipad > cable>headphone = stereo
Ipad>cable>bt device to headphones = Mono , with the same cable being used on the BT device

R.

Wow. My wife puts in earplugs! :smiley:

5 Likes

I never realised it was the same when connected to the Ipad.
Could be the bluetooth transmitter is just mono.

Do you have a link/name for the transmitter?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That why I got the extension for the Shure cans. I soon got fed up with the old telephone style cables trying to decapitate me !

@Libitina Rachel 10 feet will be great, you can start practicing the duck walk !! :+1:
:duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar: :duck: :guitar:

1 Like

Here you go, I think it meant to be stereo as meant for music and streaming lol

R.