Brian Larsen - July 2022 - Evelyn, Evelyn (Amanda Palmer & Jason Webley) + First We Take Manhattan (Leonard Cohen) + Strange Life (Firewater) + Did You See Him Cry (Pavlov's Dog)

@Digger72 Cheers, Stephen
(Let me know if I should stop tagging you out of your slumber :laughing:)
I spent a brief spell the happy bright sunshine today (I blame the wall-to-wall coverage of this heatwave :roll_eyes:), but have already drawn the curtains and am retreating to dark obscurity…
Regards to the other strange one :wink:

@ToshS cheers, man!
You (unknowingly) started the rock rolling on this one :laughing:

@RobDickinson "I think we’re gonna need a bigger community… " :wink:

@diademgrove Cheers, Keith,
Good to hear from you again (and I liked your ‘bathers’).
I think lyrics always work best when ambiguous/unclear (one of the reasons I often like foreign language songs.) Michael Stipe was the king of this :laughing:

@Helen0609 Vielen Dank, Andrea
I’m glad you recovered :rofl:

Indeed, here’s a post I shared about my musical memories of Berlin on the old forum.
Your suggestion prompted me to listen to an hour and a half of AnnenMayKantereit :smiley:

@DarrellW Jealous, schmellous :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
One day it will be frowned upon to play around with multiple guitars under the one roof, but until that day… :wink:

@RonG Thanks for the listen and thumbs up. Appreciated :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, that was worth reading it, what a cool report of a musical walk through a fascinating city. Did you transfer that somewhere to the new forum?

@Richard_close2u When this song came out in the late 80’s, I didn’t even realise the meaning of the lyrics of this song. I’m not a native speaker, so if I hear an english song, the lyrics often pass by, especially when the melody is appealing and I don’t realise the content. Sometimes I find myself singing along to a song, not even realising what the lyrics are about :see_no_evil:. I was a bit distraught as I became aware of the meaning of these lyrics. Strange inner thoughts of Mr. Cohen.

Haha, well I did now :rofl:

It’s easy to get hold of the wrong end of the stick in foreign languages, Andrea. (I spent many years doing exactly that in Switzerland :roll_eyes:). Richard was referring to a newspaper columnist in the UK with the same name, which I did not understand the reference to either.
I don’t think there’s much reason to be distraught though.

(Wiki) Cohen explained himself in a backstage interview at 1988:
“I think it means exactly what it says. It is a terrorist song. I think it’s a response to terrorism. There’s something about terrorism that I’ve always admired. The fact that there are no alibis or no compromises. That position is always very attractive. I don’t like it when it’s manifested on the physical plane – I don’t really enjoy the terrorist activities – but Psychic Terrorism. I remember there was a great poem by Irving Layton that I once read, I’ll give you a paraphrase of it. It was ‘well, you guys blow up an occasional airline and kill a few children here and there’, he says. ‘But our terrorists, Jesus, Freud, Marx, Einstein. The whole world is still quaking.’”

Great, might be interesting for others too, shouldn’t get lost in the dark black hole of the net :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s exactly what I’m referring to. It’s kind of a questionable statement in my eyes. I admit, that he’s qualifiying the statement further on but could be misunderstood. As always in music and literature, we shouldn’t overinterpret the intention of an author. And besides, I like the song anyway since decades…
Didn’t want to criticise your selection of music at all :wink:

1 Like

Much as I enjoyed the positive vibes and wonderful sixties sound from my collaboration with Pam, @pkboo3 , the sun splitting the stones on this hottest day ever recorded in the UK filled me with an urge to retreat to the shadows- or at least a bit of shade… :sunglasses:

This is a cover from the wonderful Todd A’s band Firewater

11 Likes

Hi Brian,
Sorry,…I don’t have any bad things to say this time :sunglasses: :clap:…or should I just say…"you’re very happy with your jengel-stengel aren’t you '. used for a while now at the end and then that happy face :smirk:…No it’s nice,… :bouquet:
on this sweltering day…record with you,… in France, …here the 2e highest after 2019…it’s a good thing that climate warming is a hoax, right? otherwise i would be really worried… :woozy_face:
( quote from…Mayfield & Hendrix Style Fills )

And luckily you are not in the figurative shadow again… :joy:
Greetings,…

1 Like

I was dancing around the room to that! Fab. LOVE that guitar. GORGEOUS. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@roger_holland You’re going to burn out if you’re not careful, young man :sunglasses: :fire:
Yes, jangling my Stengel is becoming my signature at the end, isn’t it? :rofl:
Having said that, Justin (and many other guitarists) often does that neck/body pulling to get a similar effect at the end of songs. This is my lazy fun shortcut :wink:
Hope you’re keeping well x

@Shell Hehe, I think that’s the first time anyone ever said they ‘danced’ to my music :rofl:
I’m presuming you are version of Michelle or Shelly as opposed to an oil conglomerate, so I shall thank you kindly for the listen and dance and pop over to find out more about you :wink:

1 Like

Hey Brian,

Didn’t know this tune, but it was really catchy indeed! I think this was a really great live performance from you.
You looked very calm and relaxed, and knew the guitar parts well enough for them to be on “auto pilot” while you performed, and put expression and feeling into the vocals. Great stuff!

2 Likes

Looking a little flush Mr L but sounded as cool a a cool thing. What a fun jolly romp twas that and treated to you monkeying around with your parabolic atrium and having a little judder at the end. A lot safer than doing the bendy guitar thang but too hot for exercise anyway !
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Another concoction whipped up in a trice from the Larsen cauldron. Keep 'em coming Gandalf.

2 Likes

That was really enjoyable Brian. A great beat you got going there.

As I was thinking to ask you whilst watching you play, you used your whammy bar right at the end and I thought that was a great way to finish.

1 Like

Hej @Kasper
What a cool comment on a hot day :sunglasses:
I admire your ability (and willingness) to appreciate others’ efforts in their own context.
Mange tak!

@TheMadman_tobyjenner
Indeed Monsieur. Normal service has resumed here in Blighty now.
Looking forward to hearing the fruits of your new toys when the initial ‘try everything’ phase has settled dowm :wink:

@batwoman Careful lady, lest I put a spell on you too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@SgtColon Cheers mate. No reason you can’t dial these in yourself now.
I forgot to mention when we were chatting. The genres on the Trio+ that I use the most are
country
pop (occ alt pop)
folk (this one :smiley:)
and rock, probably in that frequency.

3 Likes

@brianlarsen Thanks for that Brian. I’ve taken a note of your top 4 and I’ll see how they sound with the tunes I’ll be playing. :slight_smile:

Another enjoyable performance, Brian. You have become near prolific, producing the goods with the electrics and the Trio. And I also notice a developing fondness for the whammy bar. Next you’ll be dive-bombing like EVH at the start of a song.

Loved it.

Very enjoyable Brian. Once again you’ve got me asking Mr Google to find the band!

Another electric goody using your Trio+ (and whammy). I don’t know the song but the punk energy shone through in your performance. Your vocal was suitably gritty and suited the song.

I thought your Trio+ backing was spot on. You mentioned the genres in your reply to Stefan (@SgtColon).
I think the titles are pretty arbitrary to be honest. I’ve used the most unlikely settings for songs. For Knockin’ OHD I think I used alt rock!

Good stuff. Well done.

1 Like

Great stuff Brian, Daphne again! Glad I introduced you to her she certainly fits the bill very well, including the wobbly bit at the end!
You certainly do pick some interesting material, I’m sure that this is reflected in your zany character :joy:

Well I’m a bit late to the party for another Brian special. Been a bit busy and I can’t keep up with the increased volume on AVOYP.

Wouldn’t want to miss this one though. Pretty catchy tune. I could swear I’d heard it before although I don’t recognise the band name. Really well played and performed, just enjoyed it.